The History of Dominican Airlines (Dominicana de Aviación)

Nov 25, 2007
MY ANSWERS IN CAPS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I admit that I didn't know CDA in the good old days. But at 7000 employees at peak, it had to have always been a government employment scheme. Probably less than 500 of them were actually needed to run the airline. I'M JUST GIVING YOU A FACT. WHAT THEY WERE FOR IS YOUR OPINION. 500 IS DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH. LOOK AT ANY EMPLOYEES DIVIDED BY FLIGHTS CALCULATION AND DOMINICANA AT ITS PEAK IS WELL IN LINE. REMEMBER THAT THE PILOTS AND CREW FLEW 12 TIMES A MONTH ONLY AND IN NEW YORK ALONE DURING THE PEAK THEY HAD 460 EMPLOYEES.

With a few exceptions (Southwest, indeed), airlines have been an irrational business (SO IN A FREE MARKET, WHY ARE THEY AROUND? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO TAKE TO GO TO NY NEXT, A BOAT?--OTHER EXCEPTIONALLY PROFITABLE AIRLINES HAS BEEN MIDWEST, SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS, AIR EUROPE, AIR BERLIN, ICELANDAIR, AGAIN, TACA, LAN, TAM, THE NEW AVIANCA, COPA--ALL ARE PRIVATE AND HAVE BEEN PRIVATE FOR OVER 10 YEARS). And that goes for the USA too. Government loans only helped (but didn't save) two airlines in the US after 9-11 - UA (DOING INCREDIBLY WELL NOW) and US (DOING WELL AFTER MERGER WITH AWA). What saved those airlines, and others, were liberal US bankruptcy laws (WHICH CHANGED IN SEPT of 2005) that allowed debts to be wiped out (NO, DELTA STILL HAS 60% OF THE DEBT IT HAD, UA KEPT OVER 70%, and NW KEPT 75%) over and over while Boeing, Airbus, GE Capital, etc., provided more and more fresh financing to ensure their own equipment sales (IS THAT IRRATIONAL? I WOULDN'T CALL THEM "BAD" COMPANIES, SO THEY HAVE TO HAVE A REASON).

Europe and Latin America tend to protect and subsidize their airlines (GIVE ME A CASE IN THE PAST 10 YEARS, SERIOUSLY). The US just wipes out its airlines debts (WRONG--READ THE FILINGS AT SEC.GOV) from time to time.

BOTTOM LINE, THE US DOES NOT HELP OUT ITS AIRLINES. IT DID IN 2002 AND 2003 FOR LOSSES DIRECTLY RELATING TO SEPTEMBER 11 AND ITS FALLOUT (Air Transportation Stabilization Board ) AND YES IT WAS A LOT OF MONEY US$15BN WHICH TRIMMED LOSSES DOWN FROM US$54 TO US$39BN DURING THE 2001-2005 PERIOD. HOWEVER THERE WERE STILL LOSSES AND WHAT YOU IMPLY IS THAT THE US GOVERNMENT IN SOMEWAY "SAVED THE WORLD." IT DIDN'T--IT'S NOT IT'S BUSINESS TO DO SO, HENCE WHY I VEHEMENTLY TELL YOU, THE US GOVERNMENT AND MOST INDUSTRIALIZED NATIONS DO NOT BAILOUT AIRLINES. THEY DO STABILIZE AN ESSENTIAL INDUSTRY--AGAIN WHY ARE YOU ANTAGONIZING AIRLINES--HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO LEAVE YOUR ISLAND, OR WHEREVER YOU LIVE, NEXT? BY DONKEY? SO IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE THAT THEY HELP THEM OUT IN TIMES OF CRISES (IE 9.11) BECAUSE AIRLINES ARE QUASI-PUBLIC GOODS.

GOING BACK TO DOMINICANA, THE POINT OF THIS THREAD, OFCOURSE IT RECEIVED MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT, AND FRANKLY, IT WAS FULLY BAILED OUT MORE THAN ONCE. IT PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED 51 YEARS HAD IT NOT BEEN BAILED OUT BY BALAGUER A GAZILLION TIMES. HOWEVER--AND A BIG HOWEVER--MY MAIN POINT IS THAT WHAT LED TO ITS LOSSES WAS POOR MANAGEMENT AND ABUSE BY THE SAME GOVERNMENT THAT HELPED HER. AS A STANDALONE BUSINESS DOMINICANA WOULD HAVE DONE WELL, QUITE WELL, IN FACT. LIKE WITH ALL AIRLINES, IT WOULD HAVE HAD ITS PEAKS AND TROUGHS GIVEN THE CYCLICAL NATURE OF THE BUSINESS, HOWEVER AIRLINES DO SURVIVE THEM--AGAIN--YOU STILL FLY THEM AND WILL PROBABLY FLY THEM ALWAYS AND TRUST ME NO SELF-RESPECTING 1ST WORLD GOVERNMENT WILL OUTRIGHT SAVE AN AIRLINE. AS WITH ANY INDUSTRY, IT WILL HELP STABILIZE IT AND THIS, MY FRIENDS, IS FINE.

BUT AGAIN, GO TO THE FILINGS OF MIDWEST, AIR BERLIN, LAN, TAM, COPA, AMERICAN (I'M MAKING IT EASY SO YOU CAN CHECK 10 YEARS OF HISTORICAL FILINGS) SO YOU CAN SEE HOW DESPITE LOSSES SOME YEARS AND PROFITS THE NEXT, AIRLINES ARE GOOD GOING CONCERNS. I ALSO RECOMMEND READING: AIRLINE MONITOR FOR OCTOBER 2007 AS WELL AS ANY SH&E REPORT ON AIRLINES WHICH WILL ABOUND ON WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Nov 25, 2007
Nav16 or whatever your screen name is: Just like I was proven right on the Aerodom sale information, trust me on all I say about airlines. I actually do know what I'm talking about. I don't mean to sound pedantic or arrogant, but just like some folks in these forums know a ton about stuff I don't know, this is my little thing. My goal is to inform you and speak with facts, nothing that i have said in this or any forum is subjective (aside from my little rant about why i think, subjectively, Dominicana had great service). I don't care if you think Dominicana survived because of government help--you are right, I agree with you. What i DON'T agree with is the fact that you and the other dude are trying to generalize that all airlines are flying zombies that need to be helped out. That is incredibly not true (pardon the oxymoron). Just step back one second--if that were true, why does Fidelity--with the money of many widows and kids from the Midwest--invest in an American or an United? Why do these airlines have a 6+ billion dollar market cap? that's a lot of money for something that is in need of bailing out.

Dominicana had a unique experience with government bailouts. Many more airlines did 10 YEARS AGO and even before as deregulation worked itself out in the industrialized nations. However, TODAY, with the exception maybe of Mexico, India, Pakistan, and some others, no one goes around bailing airlines. Look at Varig--it was sold "como pollos" to Gol--the government never stepped in to save it (maybe because it was tired of doing so). Look at Aerolineas Argentinas... Air Plus Comet came in and bought a chunk. Look at Independence Air--I didn't see Washington save that one, just like it didn't save anyone else (you may insist that bankruptcy laws WERE lax in the US, that is somewhat true, but still--that's not a free ride. That's a COSTLY ride in which you fire people, default on some (not all) your loans, get the unions, angry, etc... don't think it's some happy trip).

So yeah, let's not impose our dominican cynicism and "conspiracy theories" that things go on behind "close doors" in order for the Big Brother to swoop in and save airlines. That may have happened (and still happens) in our jungle, but in other civilized societies with PUBLIC RECORDS (SARBANES OXLEY/SEC reporting and CONGRESS MINUTES AND DISCLOSURE, that does not happen--and when it does--like the airline stabilization act-- it makes for a long (boring) read.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2007
Why do you think that Delta and Northwest went bankrupt on the SAME DAY in 2005? Because if they had waited ONE MORE DAY they would have probably not even been able to file! That was the day that the bankruptcy code changed making it MORE difficult to take advantage of it. So, friends, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore of that happen anytime soon--again not that airlines LIKE bankruptcy, like i said in my previous post, it is painful.

NAVUS_16

Nov 6, 2007
What the hell are you talking about ? are honestly thinking what your writting? Listen .. lets just leave it at that ok and will let "AIR DOMINICANA" or what ever NEW Pops-Up Make the example. Agree?

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
Dominicana de Aviacion, you hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% - great post.

Among other things, in high school we used to joke that APA stood for...
ALL PLATANOS ABOARD

Apr 26, 2002
I didn't mean to start a debate. That the airline industry, with a few notable exceptions, is/has been a poor long term investment I would have thought self-evident. Apparently I stumbled over that pesky Dominican flag again. One presumes that if I had written the same about, oh, say, Lloyd Aero Boliviano, there would have been applause from Dom de Av.

North American Airlines has 10 aircraft - all larger than Dominicana ever operated (excepting only the mythical A-300) - and has 2000 employees. You do the math.

So you recommend people put their retirement savings in the airline industry, huh? That its ROI makes sense given the risk? That COPA, AVIANCA, etc. are good examples. That UA and US are profitable. Depending on when the investment was made, you could have invested three separate times in US and lost all of your money three times in the last 16 years! AVIANCA went bust numerous times.

Bob Crandall himself said that just because he ran America's biggest airline didn't mean he would advise anyone invest in an airline. Warren Buffet said worse: "Now if I get the urge to invest in airlines, I call an 800 number, and I say: `Hello, my name is Warren, and I'm an air-o- holic', ... Sometimes, it takes them 10 minutes to talk me out of it, sometimes more."

Now for your primer on bankruptcy law. When one says that a company's "debts were wiped out" in bankruptcy, it means only the debts that the company DID NOT WANT. Did the bankruptcy law allow the airlines to kill unfavorable union contracts and supply agreements? You bet. Did it allow the airlines to keep favorable airport leases and preferential aircraft purchases? You bet. Are all these considered debts? You bet. Ugh!

Examples of government involvement in European airlines? Too many to mention. Alitalia, CSA Czech, LOT, etc., go without saying. Even when Belgium and Switzerland needed to recapitalize their airline industries, they worked the capitalizations through quasi-governmental outfits and provincial governments in a manner carefully designed to skirt EU regulations on federal government support.

Will this be allowed to continue in the future? Will US bankruptcy law be as favorable? Wait until the next crisis and find out! But one thing is for sure. Private investors will lose out.

But let's stop arguing now. Go CDA! Go arroz, habichuela y carne! Go Duarte, Sanchez y Mella!

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I admit that I didn't know CDA in the good old days. But at 7000 employees at peak, it had to have always been a government employment scheme. Probably less than 500 of them were actually needed to run the airline. I'M JUST GIVING YOU A FACT. WHAT THEY WERE FOR IS YOUR OPINION. 500 IS DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH. LOOK AT ANY EMPLOYEES DIVIDED BY FLIGHTS CALCULATION AND DOMINICANA AT ITS PEAK IS WELL IN LINE. REMEMBER THAT THE PILOTS AND CREW FLEW 12 TIMES A MONTH ONLY AND IN NEW YORK ALONE DURING THE PEAK THEY HAD 460 EMPLOYEES.

With a few exceptions (Southwest, indeed), airlines have been an irrational business (SO IN A FREE MARKET, WHY ARE THEY AROUND? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO TAKE TO GO TO NY NEXT, A BOAT?--OTHER EXCEPTIONALLY PROFITABLE AIRLINES HAS BEEN MIDWEST, SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS, AIR EUROPE, AIR BERLIN, ICELANDAIR, AGAIN, TACA, LAN, TAM, THE NEW AVIANCA, COPA--ALL ARE PRIVATE AND HAVE BEEN PRIVATE FOR OVER 10 YEARS). And that goes for the USA too. Government loans only helped (but didn't save) two airlines in the US after 9-11 - UA (DOING INCREDIBLY WELL NOW) and US (DOING WELL AFTER MERGER WITH AWA). What saved those airlines, and others, were liberal US bankruptcy laws (WHICH CHANGED IN SEPT of 2005) that allowed debts to be wiped out (NO, DELTA STILL HAS 60% OF THE DEBT IT HAD, UA KEPT OVER 70%, and NW KEPT 75%) over and over while Boeing, Airbus, GE Capital, etc., provided more and more fresh financing to ensure their own equipment sales (IS THAT IRRATIONAL? I WOULDN'T CALL THEM "BAD" COMPANIES, SO THEY HAVE TO HAVE A REASON).

Europe and Latin America tend to protect and subsidize their airlines (GIVE ME A CASE IN THE PAST 10 YEARS, SERIOUSLY). The US just wipes out its airlines debts (WRONG--READ THE FILINGS AT SEC.GOV) from time to time.

BOTTOM LINE, THE US DOES NOT HELP OUT ITS AIRLINES. IT DID IN 2002 AND 2003 FOR LOSSES DIRECTLY RELATING TO SEPTEMBER 11 AND ITS FALLOUT (Air Transportation Stabilization Board ) AND YES IT WAS A LOT OF MONEY US$15BN WHICH TRIMMED LOSSES DOWN FROM US$54 TO US$39BN DURING THE 2001-2005 PERIOD. HOWEVER THERE WERE STILL LOSSES AND WHAT YOU IMPLY IS THAT THE US GOVERNMENT IN SOMEWAY "SAVED THE WORLD." IT DIDN'T--IT'S NOT IT'S BUSINESS TO DO SO, HENCE WHY I VEHEMENTLY TELL YOU, THE US GOVERNMENT AND MOST INDUSTRIALIZED NATIONS DO NOT BAILOUT AIRLINES. THEY DO STABILIZE AN ESSENTIAL INDUSTRY--AGAIN WHY ARE YOU ANTAGONIZING AIRLINES--HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO LEAVE YOUR ISLAND, OR WHEREVER YOU LIVE, NEXT? BY DONKEY? SO IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE THAT THEY HELP THEM OUT IN TIMES OF CRISES (IE 9.11) BECAUSE AIRLINES ARE QUASI-PUBLIC GOODS.

GOING BACK TO DOMINICANA, THE POINT OF THIS THREAD, OFCOURSE IT RECEIVED MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT, AND FRANKLY, IT WAS FULLY BAILED OUT MORE THAN ONCE. IT PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED 51 YEARS HAD IT NOT BEEN BAILED OUT BY BALAGUER A GAZILLION TIMES. HOWEVER--AND A BIG HOWEVER--MY MAIN POINT IS THAT WHAT LED TO ITS LOSSES WAS POOR MANAGEMENT AND ABUSE BY THE SAME GOVERNMENT THAT HELPED HER. AS A STANDALONE BUSINESS DOMINICANA WOULD HAVE DONE WELL, QUITE WELL, IN FACT. LIKE WITH ALL AIRLINES, IT WOULD HAVE HAD ITS PEAKS AND TROUGHS GIVEN THE CYCLICAL NATURE OF THE BUSINESS, HOWEVER AIRLINES DO SURVIVE THEM--AGAIN--YOU STILL FLY THEM AND WILL PROBABLY FLY THEM ALWAYS AND TRUST ME NO SELF-RESPECTING 1ST WORLD GOVERNMENT WILL OUTRIGHT SAVE AN AIRLINE. AS WITH ANY INDUSTRY, IT WILL HELP STABILIZE IT AND THIS, MY FRIENDS, IS FINE.

BUT AGAIN, GO TO THE FILINGS OF MIDWEST, AIR BERLIN, LAN, TAM, COPA, AMERICAN (I'M MAKING IT EASY SO YOU CAN CHECK 10 YEARS OF HISTORICAL FILINGS) SO YOU CAN SEE HOW DESPITE LOSSES SOME YEARS AND PROFITS THE NEXT, AIRLINES ARE GOOD GOING CONCERNS. I ALSO RECOMMEND READING: AIRLINE MONITOR FOR OCTOBER 2007 AS WELL AS ANY SH&E REPORT ON AIRLINES WHICH WILL ABOUND ON WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Nov 25, 2007
Uhm... as i said in the first reply, i wanted to answer point by point, so I used ALL CAPS to differentiate....

Wow you are really dense. Oh well.

Nov 25, 2007
AGAIN I'M USING CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE I WANT TO COUNTERPOINT INSIDE PORFIO'S POST

I didn't mean to start a debate. YOU DID. That the airline industry, with a few notable exceptions, is/has been a poor long term investment I would have thought self-evident. Apparently I stumbled over that pesky Dominican flag again. One presumes that if I had written the same about, oh, say, Lloyd Aero Boliviano, there would have been applause from Dom de Av. NO NO, LLOYD SUCKED, BUT AGAIN YOU ARE PICKING THE BAD APPLES.

North American Airlines has 10 aircraft - all larger than Dominicana ever operated (excepting only the mythical A-300) - and has 2000 employees. You do the math. YES BECAUSE IT IS PART OF WORLD AIRWAYS HOLDINGS WHICH HAS A TON MORE EMPLOYEES THAT TAKES CARE OF A LOT OF THE THINGS THAT NORTH AMERICAN WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE TO DO. NICE TRY, BUT, NOT QUITE ACCURATE.

So you recommend people put their retirement savings in the airline industry, huh? I DON'T RECOMMEND, I JUST TELL YOU THAT THEY DO. LOOK AT THE TOP HOLDERS OF US AIRLINES, FIDELITY AND THE LIKE (THEIR PENSION SIDE, LET ME BE CLEAR [BECAUSE I CAN SEE SOME OF YOU CLAIMING THAT "OH NO, THOSE AREN'T WIDOWS BUT HEDGE FUNDS"]) ARE THE TOP HOLDERS. That its ROI makes sense given the risk? THIS IS TRUE, BUT REMEMBER ROI IS FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE COMPANY, YOU WANT TO LOOK AT THE ROE WHICH IS THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE EQUITY HOLDERS--ALTHOUGH THIS ISN'T AMAZING BUT IT'S DEFINITELY NOT NEGATIVE. BOTTOM LINE, LOOK AT THE C.A.G.R OF A LONG TERM HOLDER, SO YOU CAN SEE THAT THEIR STOCKS, OVER TIME, HAVE HELD VALUE. That COPA, AVIANCA, etc. are good examples. That UA and US are profitable. Depending on when the investment was made, you could have invested three separate times in US and lost all of your money three times in the last 16 years AGAIN, YOU ARE FOCUSING ON THE BAD APPLES! AVIANCA went bust numerous times. AVIANCA WAS ALWAYS OWNED BY THE GOVERNMENT TILL BAVARIA BOUGHT THEM AND NOW THIS BRAZILIAN GUY (VERY NICE GUY BY THE WAY).

ALSO YOU ARE FOCUSING ON EQUITY INVESTORS, WHEN I MEAN AIRLINES ARE PROFITABLE, I MEAN THEY ARE PROFITABLE FROM THE ACTUAL COMPANIES POINT OF VIEW. THAT COMPANIES PERFORMANCE IS NOT ALWAYS REFLECTED IN THE STOCK PRICE---LOOK AT US AIRWAYS TODAY. DOING WELL, MAKING PROFITS, GOOD PROFITS TOO, BUT THE STOCK IS STUCK. AMR ALSO--EVEN NOW WITH THE SALE OF EAGLE WHICH SHOULD BRING THEM SOME CASH TO START CHANGING THOSE MD80S FASTER. NEVERTHELESS, AS AN EQUITY INVESTOR IN AIRLINES, IF YOU PLAY IT RIGHT YOU CAN ALSO DO WELL.

Bob Crandall himself said that just because he ran America's biggest airline didn't mean he would advise anyone invest in an airline. Warren Buffet said worse: "Now if I get the urge to invest in airlines, I call an 800 number, and I say: `Hello, my name is Warren, and I'm an air-o- holic', ... Sometimes, it takes them 10 minutes to talk me out of it, sometimes more." THIS IS TRUE. HAHA. IT'S THEIR OPINION THOUGH.

Now for your primer on bankruptcy law. When one says that a company's "debts were wiped out" in bankruptcy, it means only the debts that the company DID NOT WANT. Did the bankruptcy law allow the airlines to kill unfavorable union contracts and supply agreements? You bet. Did it allow the airlines to keep favorable airport leases and preferential aircraft purchases? You bet. Are all these considered debts? You bet. Ugh! WILL RESPOND LATER TO THIS.

Examples of government involvement in European airlines? Too many to mention. Alitalia, CSA Czech, LOT, etc., go without saying. Even when Belgium and Switzerland needed to recapitalize their airline industries, they worked the capitalizations through quasi-governmental outfits and provincial governments in a manner carefully designed to skirt EU regulations on federal government support. SAME HERE.

Will this be allowed to continue in the future? Will US bankruptcy law be as favorable? Wait until the next crisis and find out! But one thing is for sure. Private investors will lose out.

But let's stop arguing now. Go CDA! Go arroz, habichuela y carne! Go Duarte, Sanchez y Mella!

Nov 25, 2007
Agree on your bankruptcy note up top./ That's why they changed the law. Your bet is as good as mine vis a vis whether that would be changed in the event of a new downturn, let's see. maybe they will all merge and things won't be that bad.

i agree somewhat on your European airline comment. Again you are picking the bad apples, but there are many there. Especially Alitalia who is always being helped by the government and now it's so useless they can't even sell it.

bottom line though i think we should agree to disagree on the details. i think that as a passive medium term investor, airlines are not perhaps the best bet. as a long term investment, i would feel safe today. things have changed a lot. for those that can play with massive amounts of money on intra day and intra-month trading, then one can make a killing on those price swings. i think as a business and as a going concern, a well run airline is a beauty and can definitely be profitable (again, i'm talking about the airline not an investor in an airline--long term value is not always reflected in the equity. unfortunately (or maybe the best part of it) there are many factors that are out of the operators/owners hands: fuel, weather, and even luck to get a good brand. however, given that it is and will be always the fastest, safest, and even inevitable mode of travel, there will always be a need for them and that certainty of purpose is what in the end, make them a good business--you just can't avoid them. i think the period between 2001 and 2005 and whatever comes next (consolidation, etc... ) will be the last step towards a more sustainable commodity service that will allow good operators to earn good money.

i'm long airlines.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I saw this old photo of some Dominicana pilots and flight attendants on Facebook. Several familiar faces.

B4931686-7951-4E15-9496-9B9D513FB955.jpeg

Reactions: NanSanPedro