The infamous dominican blowout...

Lovelylocs

New member
Mar 4, 2005
56
0
0
okay dominicanas, ayudame por favor! Do any of you manage to achieve similar results when blow out your own hair as the stylists do at the dominican salons? Can you give me some tips please? b/c I am in college and can't make it to my salon every week. ;) TIA
 

A.J.

New member
Jan 2, 2002
444
0
0
First you need a friend to help you out, other wise it is to hard to get the back hair done right. And that friend needs lots of arms strength and no fear about pulling your hair tight.

Next time you hit the salon make the investment in the products to make sure you can get the same sheen too.

You can get it close, but in my opinion there is nothing comparable to the blowouts you get at a dominican salon.
 

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
1,879
88
0
amity.beane.org
The proper round brushes are required.

To make super straight you need a friend who revolves the hair, over and over and over, under the heat.

Personally for that extra sheen I like a drop of olive oil.
 

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
1,879
88
0
amity.beane.org
You talking to me?

My hair is very complicated. Who knows where I got it from but I have straight, wavy, curly, and kinky all on one head.

There is no feeling like stepping out of a salon with freshly done hair.

Oops, I am not dominicana, sorry to the original poster.
 

tboo208

New member
May 10, 2005
1
0
0
Looking for Dominican Salons in Ohio....

I am new to DR1, and so I don't know how to post new forums. I'm looking for a Dominican Salon anywhere in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, area. I know I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack, but Dominicans are known to be the best... if anyone has any information on Dominican Hair Salons in the Ohio Tri-State or how to post a new forum, so I can ask more people...please respond to this, or email me at tstuart@agapeforyouth.com. Thanks so much!

Tiffani
 

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
1,893
110
0
53
Last edited:

Lovelylocs

New member
Mar 4, 2005
56
0
0
So, just rollerset and then blow it out while revolving the brush over and over?
Is it that simple?
 

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
881
0
0
38
www.dr1.com
It's never THAT simple ....

Lovelylocs said:
So, just rollerset and then blow it out while revolving the brush over and over?
Is it that simple?
I've gotten my hair 'done' in Domincan Salons where I live (in the DR) - it's amazing. I usually go with a friend and we get pampered (or tourtured depending on your pain threshhold) perspectively. Dominicans have a unique way of blow-drying hair which I've never experienced anywhere else (USA, South Africa, Italy, South America and so on), it seems to work for every hair type as I have fine blonde hair but many of my friends are domincan who are blessed with thick black hair, some curly and some straight. I never feel like my hairs been dried out (which is a problem for me) or over-dried which is amazing as they don't hold back on the heat factor.

I don't know how they do it but it works for me :D

Stay well,
Amy
 

Lovelylocs

New member
Mar 4, 2005
56
0
0
amy2761 said:
I've gotten my hair 'done' in Domincan Salons where I live (in the DR) - it's amazing. I usually go with a friend and we get pampered (or tourtured depending on your pain threshhold) perspectively. Dominicans have a unique way of blow-drying hair which I've never experienced anywhere else (USA, South Africa, Italy, South America and so on), it seems to work for every hair type as I have fine blonde hair but many of my friends are domincan who are blessed with thick black hair, some curly and some straight. I never feel like my hairs been dried out (which is a problem for me) or over-dried which is amazing as they don't hold back on the heat factor.

I don't know how they do it but it works for me :D

Stay well,
Amy
ITA Amy! The problem is that I can't always go to a salon. In the US, the salons can be packed w/people. SO, I can be there for hours. I want to be able to do it myself. hmmmmm
 

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
881
0
0
38
www.dr1.com
Lovelylocs said:
ITA Amy! The problem is that I can't always go to a salon. In the US, the salons can be packed w/people. SO, I can be there for hours. I want to be able to do it myself. hmmmmm

Sorry, ITA?

Stay well,
Amy
 

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
2,209
42
0
If you learn how to do a Duby you can get close results.

1. Use quality shampoo and a deep conditioner.
2. When hair is washed, dry your hair in a rollerset - roll your hair the best possible way you can.Dry throurouly - key here is that the HAIR HAS TO BE DRY all the way to the tips.This is the foundation to a perfect blowout.
3. try to blow dry as much as you can from the roots.
4. Add some sheen (gotitas)
5. do a duby.

Best if done before bed so that the duby works its magic.

Once you perfect your rollerset and duby techiniques you are in business.

If you really want straight hair, consider un ablandador or desrizado all the way.

** PS - If you dont know how to wrap your hair into a duby, ask the hairstylist, they do a good job at teaching you how to.
 

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
2,209
42
0
Escott said:
Wow, I thought a duby was a joint. Ok so what the hell is a duby these days? LOL
Is when the hair is wrapped around the head with bobby pins. Works specially well right after a rollorset. It is the 'trick' to the silky and straight hair look.
 

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
881
0
0
38
www.dr1.com
Escott said:
Wow, I thought a duby was a joint. Ok so what the hell is a duby these days? LOL
lmao .... a duby is still a joint in some circles, just depends who you hang out with Escott ;)

Stay well,
Amy
 

cubana74

New member
Jun 23, 2005
1
0
0
36
help me!

does anybody know of any good dominican salons in indiana?

i love the dominican blowout, and in new york, dominican salons are everywhere, but i can't find one, and my hair is crying for a blowout!

please someone, help me.
 

susan s

New member
Nov 3, 2005
2
0
0
Looking For Great Dominican Salon In Nyc

Hope someone can give me the name of a great Dominican salon in NYC where I can get my hair deep conditioned and set/blown dry. My favorite place relocated and I'm desperate. Thank you
 

susan s

New member
Nov 3, 2005
2
0
0
Can someone give me a suggestion for a Dominican salon in NYC for great set/blow out?
Thank you