The Kid's out of the closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
This past December, The Kid outed himself to some friends and family members in the DR. Yes, that's right: born and bred en la tierra "santa" de Higuey, The Kid is now a militant atheist.

And I have a question for long-term DR residents: Do you know of any atheist organizations in the DR?

"Why?" You ask. Well, if and when I move back home, I plan to eventually settle down with a flaca, and not just any flaca, but a like-minded babe. So, I think one place I can meet her would be in one of those groups.

I've looked at FIDA, the Federaci?n Internacional de Ateos, but they do not have a branch in the DR. I've "googled" all kinds of combinations, but to no avail.

The Kid's mind is open to comments, criticism, ideas, advice and "what-have-you."

-The Kid
Stress-free and long live Southern Rock

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Just curious....but how does that work???? IF you are an athiest, doesn't that mean that you don't believe in God or in anything??? so why have or join and organization???

C

Chip00

Seeing as most of the country is purported to be Catholic you may have a problem. However, the reality is many really aren't that religious IMO, based on personal observation.

That being said, Dominicans use phrases involving God quite frequently and to ignore this or become a vocal opponent to such use will definetly cause one to be looked upon as "orgulloso" or worse "sin educacion".

Sep 19, 2005
just look for a hooker, or puta who steals, does all the drugs she can find..lies through her teeth, and hates children.......you dont need no organization......

I dont know if you will totally like minded...but it is a good but she would be an atheist!!!!!!! so that would be a start ...right?

good luck

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I might be wrong but I don't think being an atheist means being without morals, it just means they don't believe in the God that most people fear. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just as long as they don't shout "Oh God" when the sh!t hits the fan and they are dying...

"There are no atheists in foxholes".

There are no societies of atheistic bent. The USSR tried to do it and Lenin became a substitute.

HB

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Which closet?

I thought you emerged from the pink closet .... :laugh: :cheeky:

Btw, is a militant atheist someone who fights with God? :ermm:

Sep 19, 2005
I thought you emerged from the pink closet .... :laugh: :cheeky:

Btw, is a militant atheist someone who fights with God? :ermm:
come on.....I USED to think you were smart

HOW do you fight with someone you dont believe exists!!!!!!!!!!!

outside of fighting with your inner demons ha ha ha

hey I am going to be using some shad for bait this weekend.....the stripers are running in the hudson....god help me...I am going to catch a big one.. ha ha ha..

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just as long as they don't shout "Oh God" when the sh!t hits the fan and they are dying...

"There are no atheists in foxholes".

There are no societies of atheistic bent. The USSR tried to do it and Lenin became a substitute.

HB
Here in the states, Man Made Global Warming has become a religion. Even Algore stated yesterday it is deeply "spiritual".

They have most of the components of a religion, with a God that must be worshiped (the Earth), a earthly prophet (Algore), an apocalyptic future (the destruction of earth due to man), priests than are beyond question without being tried as a heretic in the church's court (the IPCC scientists) and a means of salvation (drive a Prius, change light bulbs, picket oil companies, buy carbon credits from Algore's company, wear hemp underwear...).

I'm just sayin'...;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here in the states, Man Made Global Warming has become a religion. Even Algore stated yesterday it is deeply "spiritual".

They have most of the components of a religion, with a God that must be worshiped (the Earth), a earthly prophet (Algore), an apocalyptic future (the destruction of earth due to man), priests than are beyond question without being tried as a heretic in the church's court (the IPCC scientists) and a means of salvation (drive a Prius, change light bulbs, picket oil companies, buy carbon credits from Algore's company, wear hemp underwear...).

I'm just sayin'...;)
(Can't edit my^^^post)

And to drive it home even further as a religon, there is a association of B&B's in CA that are replacing the Gideon bible at the bedside with...drumroll, please...Algore's book, "Earth in the Balance".

fender

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 9, 2006
reality

welcome to reality Kid.
Notice it's not referred to as 'cruciFACT' (!!)
Good luck in your search.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
welcome to reality Kid.
Notice it's not referred to as 'cruciFACT' (!!)
Good luck in your search.

fender, can I use the section highlighted above? That's the best part of the English language: you can play with it.

Bob (of pausini and gf fame), I would venture to say you don't believe in Apollo, Horus, Zeus, Thor... The Kid just goes one god over.

M.A.R., you asked why join a group... well, so I can eventually meet a woman who thinks... like The Kid.

HB, the "no atheists in foxholes" clich? is false. The Kid has met 'Nam vets and recent war vets who are atheists. The Kid has also spoken with a former Israeli Army officer about his non-beliefs.

It's unfortunate golo is not participating in DR1 these days - he may know of a group or organization in the DR.

-The Kid

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
as an atheist, I'm confused as to why you need to find a group to join? I would have thought the whole point of being an atheist is that you don't need 'like minded' people to be around to support your belief (ie a 'church')? And why would it be important to find a partner who shares your belief? I can understand you wanting to find someone who shares your belief system if you are a religious, so that you could 'share' going to church etc. But if you believe 'god' doesn't exist, why does it matter? If my partner 'believed' then that would be fine by me*. If she was happy to be with an atheist, that would be all that mattered.

As for having 'similar thoughts'? Sod that! Get someone who thinks for themselves and accept that you have differences!

*Actually, she was a 'non-denominational' Christian when we met 20 yrs ago but would call herself 'atheist' now.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
You don't need a support group for that

But you should support anyone who is a better person or productive human been because of his/her religion convictions.

I am not too "churchy" myself but would attend churches of any denomination or temples of different philosophies if I'm cordially invited (obligated).

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I do not need a support group. But atheist organizations do exist to combat the overt discrimination against us from all kinds of institutions.

Also, if I ever settle down with a honey, I don't want her believing in supernatural stuff. I want her to be rational and think about the here and now. Otherwise, she might as well believe in unies, Poseidon, and flying elves.

Status
Not open for further replies.