The Longest Day

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Currently, I am above the tropic of Cancer.....in PHL.

I notice the days are longer here than in the DR at this time of year.

For example.... Sunrise was earlier today and the sun will set 70 minutes later tonight..... 8:32pm vs 7:22pm

We know June 22 is the longest day when the sun is at its apex (Tropic of Cancer)
We know the Tropic of Cancer is north of the DR.

1657450036375.png

Does that mean that the DR will have 2 'longest days' - as the sun passes twice above us - once on its way north and again going south ?

Looking for ward to some erudite responses..........

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I thought the tropic of cancer was only significant because on the longest day of the year, the sun is directly overhead at 12:00 p.m. if you are on that line?

I was always taught that the amount of sunlight you get at varying times of the year depends on your location in proximity to the equator and the degree to which the earth's axis is tilted. That's why countries close to the equator have very consistent hours of sunlight all year long, and countries further north and south have such huge seasonal changes.

So no, the DR won't have two longest days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At the equator.... it never changes.....6am to 6pm...... 365 days a year.

Man who lived there told me that..... he now lives in the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thought the tropic of cancer was only significant because on the longest day of the year, the sun is directly overhead at 12:00 p.m. if you are on that line?

I was always taught that the amount of sunlight you get at varying times of the year depends on your location in proximity to the equator and the degree to which the earth's axis is tilted. That's why countries close to the equator have very consistent hours of sunlight all year long, and countries further north and south have such huge seasonal changes.

So no, the DR won't have two longest days.

Yes.... but as the sun moves north....it passes directly over Hispaniola
Similarly , as it returns south, it passes directly over us again.

That affects the sun rise & set.... and the hours of daylight/darkness

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Longest day?
How about Inuvik in Canada, north of the arctic circle.
Along with several other Arctic countries these areas are known as "The Land of the Midnight Sun".
For several weeks in the year they have no sunset or sunrise.
The sun stays up there like a giant meatball all day, every day.
Of course the inverse is also true.
For several weeks they have no daylight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Longest day?
How about Inuvik in Canada, north of the arctic circle.
Along with several other Arctic countries these areas are known as "The Land of the Midnight Sun".
For several weeks in the year they have no sunset or sunrise.
The sun stays up there like a giant meatball all day, every day.
Of course the inverse is also true.
For several weeks they have no daylight.

Never see that movie.... about the detective in the Arctic... during the all day sun ?

Forget the name & the star

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I was fishing on a lake in Foleytte Ontario a while agao. as the sun began to set we thought it was about time for dinner. A glance at the watch said we were a bit late. It was 11:00 p.m.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Never see that movie.... about the detective in the Arctic... during the all day sun ?

Forget the name & the star
At your service Mr. Webster...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When I was posted at Cold Lake Alberta in the winter it was dark when I went to work and dark when I got home at 4 pm. Drove on square tires a few times ( from the cold) Summertime light until 1 am , blue until 4 am then light again. Neede foil on your bedroom window plus black out curtains. Here in the DR dawn and duck are almost non existent, it is almost instantly dark or instantly light.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
When I was posted at Cold Lake Alberta in the winter it was dark when I went to work and dark when I got home at 4 pm. Drove on square tires a few times ( from the cold) Summertime light until 1 am , blue until 4 am then light again. Neede foil on your bedroom window plus black out curtains. Here in the DR dawn and duck are almost non existent, it is almost instantly dark or instantly light.
I remeber that too when I was in Thompson working underground and GIllam manitoba working outside at nights on a hydro dam. . Sundown was around 1100 and came up around 330. Hardly any sunlight in winter. GO to work in the mines underground at 530 drk. Come home at 4 dark. Warm weather only started maybe in July. Horrible. I neverer wanted to live there. Left and went back to university.