The Mainers have landed

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cabarete: Three bedroom, two bathroom house with a pool in Cabarete. In an enclosed community on the golf course. $350 plus utilities--Mainer

Did you take a look at this place?Seems very reasonable.You dont know the persons e-mail who has it up for rent do you?I want to see if I could see a picture out of curiousity.Happy you guys are settling in well.Wish I could do the same.
Thanks,
Larry

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Sorry Larry,
The place had just been rented when we called, or we would have taken it.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Larry
I saw the rent advertised at the Real Estate office 2 doors down from the EPS Office in Sosua. It is one of the local offices a DR named company. They have numerous reasonably priced places advertised there, mostly condo type and many under 50k houses for sale. Someone must know the name or I'll get it next time in town. Its above a small german restaurant, many posts out front of its building.
Mr. Mainer

Mainer wanted a breakdown on Health Ins., while checking the local insurance agent as well as asking some trusted people here we chose one for Mainer and the kids.

The insurance cost for her with kids free at this time is $1151 per year. This has a $500,000 cap and $2500 deductible. The company offers reduced deductible if one gets preapproval from the company. They will deduct $1000 off the deductible and provide up to $500 plane ticket if you use one of 19 contract hospitals in the U.S. These hospitals Range from 2 in Boston, including Brigham Womens, 4 in California, 6 in Florida, 2 in New York City, and 4 in Texas. Here in the DR they do not have contracts with the hospitals, if you need one they need to send a letter of Gaurantee payment (I'm told by Fax) when you enter hospital.
I was quoted approxiamately $20.00 per adult and $12.00 per child per month for local Health Insurance with coverage up to 60-70,000 pesos.
We have taken the International at this point, the drawbacks are:
you make the International with 2 payments per year minimum, no Aids related coverage
The local had to be paid in full for the calender year, you can do 50% 1st month, and 50% on the second month.
The International goes up about $300 per year for each 10 year increment of age up to 60. Then it goes up considerably. These were the plans we will opt for there are several out there.

Edited to add: The kids are free on the International Insurance until age 11. Also, Medivac is included.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Larry
I saw the rent advertised at the Real Estate office 2 doors down from the EPS Office in Sosua. It is one of the local offices a DR named company. They have numerous reasonably priced places advertised there, mostly condo type and many under 50k houses for sale. Someone must know the name or I'll get it next time in town. Its above a small german restaurant, many posts out front of its building.
Mr. Mainer

Thanks.I know the building you are referring to.Directly across from the Britannia.
Larry

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey there Mainers,
Stock up on veges. when you come to Puerto Plata. Go to Silverio Messon's big store (lower Calle Seperacion) on a Tuesday when they do 2 for 1 on veges!! I know the journey here will increase the usual costs, so only go there when you are coming this way, but if it is veges. you can FREEZE, then it could save you quite a few pesos!! "She that must be Obeyed" can be seen there every Tuesday morning!!! - Grahame.

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I would suggest anyone looking for a house to rent to go through a realtor - even if there is a fee. That house Mainer mentioned real cheap on the golf course is, I think, the neighborhood we looked at for buying a house. At least it was the community that had a 9-hole golf course.

The neighborhood was run down with abandoned houses and yards not kept up. There was also a bad looking housing project across the field. The house there for sale looked okay and was very reasonable, but that may be because the neighborhood is crappy - my opinion.

Palm Hills Real estate web site has a bunch of condos/houses for rent with pictures of outside and in.

Click link to go there: Palm Hills Rentals in Sosua/Cabarete Area

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
Help With Budget

To the family from Maine or anyone else that can help:

Can you please help us out a little with budget? We are preparing to move to the Dominican Republic in January and would
appreciate any help on how much it cost for food, electric, phone rent and etc. You can e-mail us at mullinsca@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.....