The "must see" attractions

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Go to Saona Island, it's probably one of the most beautiful (and popular) excursions in the area.

If you can I would recommed making it down to Santo Domingo. The historic center (Zona Colonial) is very nice, and has been apointed by UNESCO as World Heritage (or something like that), and the Mercado would be a fantastic gift shopping experience.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Well, you can't drive to Saona Island for obvious reasons, but if you're feeling adventurous you can rent a vehicle and drive to Santo Domingo. The drive there would take you about four hours, so unless you want to overnight in the city you're probably better off catching a tour.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
TNJ1996,

When you get to your resort, they will have a number of day trips that you can do. All are great.

What I would recommend for Santo Domingo, is to take the express bus at 7:30 am at the Bavaro Plaza. When you get to Santo Domingo, rent a taxi for the day, and have the taxi person take you to the sites to see in the Colonial District. This place is worth seeing. I was able to find someone who wanted 300.00 peos, however, he was such a sweetheart, I did pay him more for his time, and treated him to come along and see the sites. Some of them know a little english. There's a taxi guy name Mateo or his cousin. His cousin is the person that I got. Just mention the name Mateo and anyone can tell you where he's parked.

Renting a car is great, to go to the towns of La Romana, Higuey, Boca Du Yuma. To see the culture of the island. Rent you car from where you are from, it's cheaper than reserving in Punta Cana.