The New US Ambassador to the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have you ever worked at the state department?

No, but I can research information well. My statement that many ambassadors do not speak the language of their host country stands as being true. If you find information otherwise, please post it.

Ambassador positions to the majority of countries are purely political patronage jobs handed out to those that supported the current President during their election. There is no requirement they speak the language of the host country at the time of assignment. The ambassador will normally speak in English and use translators as needed. If you have information to the contrary, please post it.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
No, but I can research information well. My statement that many ambassadors do not speak the language of their host country stands as being true. If you find information otherwise, please post it.

Ambassador positions to the majority of countries are purely political patronage jobs handed out to those that supported the current President during their election. There is no requirement they speak the language of the host country at the time of assignment. The ambassador will normally speak in English and use translators as needed. If you have information to the contrary, please post it.

A person who obtains a non-career appointment, i.e., a political appointment, does not have to speak the language, as they did not rise through the diplomatic corps. Some do speak the language, e.g., Ambassador Huntsman, when posted to China, spoke Chinese and the Chinese press went mad when he made his first appearance. At the end of the day, the president can appoint whom the president appoints. If you are a career diplomat, you take language classes. Certain countries, as a general rule, tend to go to non-career people.

Sep 4, 2012

LOL....this is the perfect example of buying a Ford and having Ford, and not anyone else ever, doing the maintenance.

I know State Department, I know Diplomats, I know Embassies, I know the DR.

I'd leave it at that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LOL....this is the perfect example of buying a Ford and having Ford, and not anyone else ever, doing the maintenance.

I know State Department, I know Diplomats, I know Embassies, I know the DR.

I'd leave it at that.

Whatever the above means. I have no idea.

What I do know is that many people assigned to be ambassadors do not speak the language of the host country. I will leave it at that.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The vast majority of activities these political appointees do are social and ceremonial. Rest assured if there is a need for critical diplomacy, the A Team of career diplomats get called in.

Sep 4, 2012
The vast majority of activities these political appointees do are social and ceremonial. Rest assured if there is a need for critical diplomacy, the A Team of career diplomats get called in.

And you know that based on what expertise or job knowledge?

Sep 4, 2012
Whatever the above means. I have no idea.

What I do know is that many people assigned to be ambassadors do not speak the language of the host country. I will leave it at that.

Then you should stay away from things you have no personal knowledge/experinces of?

Sep 4, 2012
Was Raul Izaguire a mega donor, where did he get or where are the millions he own I wonder?

Still waiting on an answer on the above, I mean, they are all mega millionaires appointed due to their donations to winning candidates to POTUS?

Raul must be right there with Bezos and Bill Gates :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And you know that based on what expertise or job knowledge?
Just what an investor who was named an Ambassador to Australia told me, as well as a ranking career diplomat assigned to the Haitian Embassy we stayed with over Christmas 2013 on the Embassy housing compound.

Career state department diplomats generally take the sensitive assignments. Political appointees get the easy ones as a "thank you" for donations.

That said even political appointees get some basic training.

Could Wally Brewster speak Spanish?

Sep 4, 2012
Just what an investor who was named an Ambassador to Australia told me, as well as a ranking career diplomat assigned to the Haitian Embassy we stayed with over Christmas 2013 on the Embassy housing compound.

Career state department diplomats generally take the sensitive assignments. Political appointees get the easy ones as a "thank you" for donations.

War stories - many out there.

I know what I speak of.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Still waiting on an answer on the above, I mean, they are all mega millionaires appointed due to their donations to winning candidates to POTUS?

Raul must be right there with Bezos and Bill Gates :cheeky:

There other kinds of donations than just money. Favors, connections, introductions, service work....etc.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys, please remember all posts must be related to the US Ambassador to DR. We’re wandering away from that

Sep 4, 2012
Guys, please remember all posts must be related to the US Ambassador to DR. We’re wandering away from that

And with this, I am out, but no without saying that about motorcycles - I know nothing about and won't ever claim I do, however - with diplomats, state department, and US embassies - I can hold my own, very well at that.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
A Diplomat Bob, at least that is what her position requires her to be. Now, a Diplomat that cannot speak the language of the country she is - leaves all doors open.

‘Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.' Winston S. Churchill .
Language skills optional .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....I hope the new Ambassador has the common sense to see how totally ineffective the embassy in SD is.....the staff that lies to everyone at every chance and is no help to any Americans......still waiting for my medicare card that is being delivered by Dominican Post office?................Doc.........

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I have to agree with CB on this one. The Ambassador post in the DR is considered a plum assignment - a reward- given out to favorites - since it involves a lot of beaches and dancing and little risk of war - at least for the last 50 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ambassadors_of_the_United_States_to_the_Dominican_Republic

The one in Haiti goes to a State Department trained civil servant..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ambassadors_of_the_United_States_to_Haiti

I like this new one because she designs alligator handbags - and I think that we ought to bring back ALL things made of alligators as they now occupy every inch of fresh water and some golf courses in Florida.

Also - she is the second handbag designer to be appointed as an Ambassador- which opens up an entire other career path into the Foreign Service....

After all Oscar de LaRenta was probably the most widely known Dominican after Trujillo for years.

And a much better "ambassador" than most.