The non-profit Fighting to Keep Sosua's History Alive (and the sad state of the Jewish Museum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
"Dominican Haven" is sadly out of print. Last time I looked, online used booksellers were asking about $80 for it. There is no digital version available, and trust me I looked.

I'm not sure if you have any clout with the Museum of Jewish Heritage, the publisher, but I think that most would agree that at least a digital version should be available for public purchase. I lucked out as Professor Kaplan, the author, was kind enough to share a pdf of an earlier draft.

I am curious about the private manuscripts you mentioned ...
Dominican Haven is available on Amazon as Kindle...perhaps you should look harder and in different countries ;)

Is $80 too much to as for education?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
"Dominican Haven" is sadly out of print. Last time I looked, online used booksellers were asking about $80 for it. There is no digital version available, and trust me I looked.

I'm not sure if you have any clout with the Museum of Jewish Heritage, the publisher, but I think that most would agree that at least a digital version should be available for public purchase. I lucked out as Professor Kaplan, the author, was kind enough to share a pdf of an earlier draft.

I am curious about the private manuscripts you mentioned ...
Ouch! I bought mine "Used-like new' for 17 bucks on Amazon.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I am a resident of Sosua and I am Jewish. In my former life in the 1st world, I was a fundraising executive for NYPL, NYBG, The Municipal Art Society (historic preservation & urban land use: zoning, etc.) and the YIVO Institute (sort of the Library of Congress for Yiddish). So, do admit: I have some cred.

There was a major grant about 2 yrs ago from a fdn in Germany (and I mean MAJOR) for conservation of the Jew mew in Sosua. There has been no info as to how it's being administered. One hopes it is being spent prudently.

RE: the remnant of the Sosua Jewish community still residing here: they are an extremely insular entity. You can ask. You can offer. Buena suerte.
Meemselle, I do know that you are an appreciated member of the community both on and off of DR1 and neither your credentials nor your credibility are up for questioning. I have been involved with a few such projects over the years, currently supporting the premier UK synagogue celebrating its 320 years of continuous use, with which my own family has been closely connected since 1776, and it always seems to be the unproductive insider politics (with a small "p") and on-going arguments, which hinder the progress, rather than concentrating on the job to be done. I agree that in the case of what you so sweetly call the "Jew Mew" in Sosua, the management of previously donated resources was, and probably still is, dubious to say the least, but that should not colour nor reduce the enthusiasm with which such a project should be embraced. If people are interested and wish to be involved then I say, "Let's get on with it!"

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Perhaps the former mayor and other community members were just wary of the viability of the NGO model.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Perhaps the former mayor and other community members were just wary of the viability of the NGO model.

Did they voice specific objections? If so, what are they?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I remember reading Renn Logan's article quoting the mayor's letter.
I remember reading the quote from a letter from the Sosua Mayor in the 2019 article in DT by Renn Loren

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I remember reading Renn Logan's article quoting the mayor's letter.

I remember reading the quote from a letter from the Sosua Mayor in the 2019 article in DT by Renn Loren

Thanks Abuela! I read the article and watched some of the vid. It doesn't say why they objected, only that they were "... deeply disgusted..." No reasons given.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks Abuela! I read the article and watched some of the vid. It doesn't say why they objected, only that they were "... deeply disgusted..." No reasons given.
They were disgusted because the Sosua 75 was formed to solicit donations which they felt wasn't right.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Not really disgusting. On many tourist and promotional websites for Sosua/Puerto Plata the Jewish museum is highlighted. But as now noted is mostly closed. In bad shape and controlled by a small few. For the former mayor to get involved is the disgusting part. It seems to be a control issue. And maybe some corruption if a large amount was donated from the Germans and not used as intended. If the former mayor really wanted to make Sosua a family destination then the Jewish history of the region needs to be made more public. As it is now it seems to be getting buried more every year. It seems serious politics is in the mix here. Money also. This all seems extremely fishy. Politics making a simple solution very complex.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I cannot understand any negativity towards this man or his work. I am sending him a donation and take my hat off to him.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR
Status
Not open for further replies.