The non-profit Fighting to Keep Sosua's History Alive (and the sad state of the Jewish Museum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Perhaps the former mayor and other community members were just wary of the viability of the NGO model.
You do know that while Ilana is not technically Jewish, her dad, back in the day, and I mean like 35 years ago when I first lived here, Avi Neumann was the cantor of the Sosua shul, & she & her sister daven a beautiful Israeli-accented Hebrew

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Then that’s a shame. The people I tell of how Sosua came to be are fascinated and unaware of the Jewish refugee plight. Even my Jewish friends. So if some of the COMMUNITY are butt hurt over a guy trying to preserve history so be it. This man is Jewish. He sees history burying the Jewish past. He would like to see a museum stay open and restored. So please explain the down side of what Hugh Baver is trying to do? Is the COMMUNITY embarrassed at their failure to preserve the past? This is exactly what Sosua needs to attract families. Museums and other cultural venues.

What happened to the Weiss house? Will the Jewish star stain glassed dome in the hotel ( old Casa Ceyana ) one day be smashed up in a renovation? Why not research, find and help the COMMUNITY preserve historical landmarks? Family tourist like the beach but also like old historical sh!t. The RD is a treasure for history. But unfortunately it seems to be known more for prostitutes and all the cheap booze you can drink AI’s.
I'm the weekend warriors flying down on JetBlue every weekend would be very impressed with the history of Sosua, don't ya think?

• Haha
Reactions: Meemselle

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Meemselle, I do know that you are an appreciated member of the community both on and off of DR1 and neither your credentials nor your credibility are up for questioning. I have been involved with a few such projects over the years, currently supporting the premier UK synagogue celebrating its 320 years of continuous use, with which my own family has been closely connected since 1776, and it always seems to be the unproductive insider politics (with a small "p") and on-going arguments, which hinder the progress, rather than concentrating on the job to be done. I agree that in the case of what you so sweetly call the "Jew Mew" in Sosua, the management of previously donated resources was, and probably still is, dubious to say the least, but that should not colour nor reduce the enthusiasm with which such a project should be embraced. If people are interested and wish to be involved then I say, "Let's get on with it!"
Jajaja. Appreciated? You should see the people I've blocked.

• Haha
Reactions: Yo No and JD Jones

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Only in the Capital.
In Santiago just drive down Del Sol calle, thats the old part of town...and look at the remaining old buildings, most are not used and falling down as they are wood, wood was used in the beginning of this city..some even have trees growing thru them.. at this point I dont know how they could be restored?

Status
Not open for further replies.