The other heartbreaking side of the DR

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
WRONG!!

Ghetto Mindset:

1. I've been on 20 job interviews this week and 20 last week and nobody has called me back. This is HOPELESS!

2. I'm out of subway fare and have to walk downtown to look for work again. This is HOPELESS!

3. I've only got two hot dogs and three eggs left in the refrigerator and no money coming in. HOPELESS!

4. Okay, now I'm "underqualified" for that job in the mailroom and "overqualified" for that janitor position. HOPELESS!

5. I had to use the money I was going to use to get my "interview suit" out of the cleaners to buy food. I was hungry!

6. I was on the way to a job interview when stopped and questioned by some Cops because they thought I looked like somebody they were after. I was late for the interview and they cancelled me.

I didn't make this sh!t up. I experienced this as a young Man (with no kids, BTW) and later in life when I miraculously susrvived growing up in my neighborhood and my time in the military and fought for an education and developed my career and ended up at the table with other Fortune 100 Corporations Program Managers it never left me and I was still the hungriest Mofo at the table even though I earned more than most of them. That, Sir is a "GHETTO MENTALITY".

If you don't get it then give up on yourself.

If he is a man of color born and raised in NYC, how does he NOT know this. Read his first line. He thinks LIFE is EASY for them how sad.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
If he is a man of color born and raised in NYC, how does he NOT know this. Read his first line. He thinks LIFE is EASY for them how sad.

Here's the thing that I find so amazing. My friends growing up included many from the Caribbean, Central and South America and to most of them our neighborhood was an improvement over where they were from. Most developed the same steel resolve that I did from the experience and those of us who survived the experience tended to end up successful in our chosen fields of endeavor. I meet people like us in my travels and I recognize them and they recognize me for exactly who we are.

At the same time there's these underachieving haters who think they fell behind their potential due to "gub-o-mint programs", affirmative ak-shun and such but the reality is that they just don't measure up. The only "gub-o-mint programs" that ever propelled me anywhere involved taking a chance at being shot or blown to pieces and a whole lot of folks didn't reach the finish line. That ended up being just another step in my education and it definitely taught me the value of life.

Some people believe in the lessons from their experiences and others rely on what they've been told by others just as clueless as themselves.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
WRONG!!

Ghetto Mindset:

1. I've been on 20 job interviews this week and 20 last week and nobody has called me back. This is HOPELESS!

2. I'm out of subway fare and have to walk downtown to look for work again. This is HOPELESS!

3. I've only got two hot dogs and three eggs left in the refrigerator and no money coming in. HOPELESS!

4. Okay, now I'm "underqualified" for that job in the mailroom and "overqualified" for that janitor position. HOPELESS!

5. I had to use the money I was going to use to get my "interview suit" out of the cleaners to buy food. I was hungry!

6. I was on the way to a job interview when stopped and questioned by some Cops because they thought I looked like somebody they were after. I was late for the interview and they cancelled me.

I didn't make this sh!t up. I experienced this as a young Man (with no kids, BTW) and later in life when I miraculously susrvived growing up in my neighborhood and my time in the military and fought for an education and developed my career and ended up at the table with other Fortune 100 Corporations Program Managers it never left me and I was still the hungriest Mofo at the table even though I earned more than most of them. That, Sir is a "GHETTO MENTALITY".

If you don't get it then give up on yourself.

My examples were correct. Yours were mostly correct also. If you look, I said that there are more

True, some people just give up or feel hopeless and stop trying in life which is a ghetto mentality. What they should be doing is continuing to try and stop looking at themself as a victim in life in order not to be so ghetto and view themself as someone who is going to work hard to reach their goals just like everyone else and do whatever it takes to get there.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
There is a difference from being poor and being ghetto. GB7 kinda nails the ghetto mindset. Greydread has the working poor thing down pretty pat. There is a difference from being poor and being ghetto. Usually working poor people get a job and move out of the ghetto.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The co-founder of an organisation that gives loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries gave an interesting Ted Talk a couple of years ago.
She says at one point: "The best way for people to change their lives is for them to have control and to do that in a way that they believe is best for them".
There are currently 12 groups from various places in the DR involved, including Hato Mayor, La Romana and Puerto Plata.

Jessica Jackley: Poverty, money -- and love | Video on TED.com

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I didn't see the picture until now. They don't look as bad as I thought they would. The bed looks cleaner than I imagined. I was imagining an old, dusty, stained bigger bed, but that doesn't mean that they are not mal nourished.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
From my observation, one thing that I think that is different from other Latin countries is that there doesn't seem to be much over protection of the young ladies, daughters, sisters in the DR (or at least for the poverty stricken in the DR)... They do what they want, go around with any gringo who can give them a few pesos, etc. Maybe they don't have a father in their lives? I know that they do it for survival, but we don't see a lot of Sankies & Sankettes from Mexico or another poor country. It's very sad that there's so much poverty in the world, and it's so sad that people are so desperate as to pretend to love another person so that they can better themselves.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
El Salvador, Nicaragua Costa Rica Brazil Columbia Thailand Cambodia Phillipines all have some striking similarities with the DR. Cuba was the same prior to the revolution. Its called poverty. How many teenage mothers in the US are from low district areas? Or Canada or Europe? Theres no hypocrisy about it in the the third world. It is what it is.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I have heard of this in Thailand, but I'm talking about the Latin culture where there's supposedly a strong family tie, but yea I think that's sad.

Dec 26, 2011
From my observation, one thing that I think that is different from other Latin countries is that there doesn't seem to be much over protection of the young ladies, daughters, sisters in the DR (or at least for the poverty stricken in the DR)... They do what they want, go around with any gringo who can give them a few pesos, etc. Maybe they don't have a father in their lives? I know that they do it for survival, but we don't see a lot of Sankies & Sankettes from Mexico or another poor country. It's very sad that there's so much poverty in the world, and it's so sad that people are so desperate as to pretend to love another person so that they can better themselves.

I agree that missing and uninterested fathers are at the core of this problem. I don't think her offspring are the fruit of any dalliance with a gringo.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Perhaps I missed it the posts, but do they not have food banks in the DR? And, what about the churches, are they able to supply clothing and much needed items for a family from people that donate? Red Cross, Salvation Army too, etc.