The other heartbreaking side of the DR

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Abstinence needs no money. Common sense? If you can't feed one don't fornicate to avoid creating another which you can't feed either.

NotLurking

You certainly have common sense in this matter. Maybe some compassion wouldn't be that bad either, it's a woman you're talking about, not some cattle.

Barnab?

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
These are "machos" we're talking about.

Understood, "machos" have been known to be forced into paying child support in the past as well, so in essence, they (machos) know this and because of this; they can be persuaded into buying condoms if asked by the female.

My point is, condoms are cheap and readily available, hence this woman could have prevented these eight (8) children if she'd only asked her mate to wear a contraceptive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican women have few choices in their lives.
Men here have many.
Even if the woman wants to use condoms,the man won't.
She can however,get free "Implants,"Pills" or an "IUD" so her man won't even know.
I you think that Dominicans don't use "contraception" because it is forbidden by the Catolic Church you are delusional!
That would be the ONLY thing they don't do because of the "Church".
You can start with the Ten Commandments".
I know very few dominicans that follow THOSE Church Rules.
Personal and national responsibilities are not part of Dominican society.
Starting at birth,Dominican children are not taught to be responsible for their actions.
You can't expect them to start acting responsibly just because they reach puberty.
Making excuses,like "lack of sufficient protien in the diet" is just plain ludicrus.
If "Protien" mattered,I should be a genius by now!
Suck It Up!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
they can be persuaded into buying condoms if asked by the female

How completely out of touch with reality are you, bro?

In the culture we're discussing, the only sense of worth that many of these women feel is that someone may find them sexually appealing. You think they'll argue with a guy about contraception? Many of whom will beat or kill a woman if they feel like it. Those guys will be persuaded to wear a condom?

Dec 26, 2011
Making excuses,like "lack of sufficient protien in the diet" is just plain ludicrus.

How does nutrition affect the developing brain?
Brain development is most sensitive to a baby's nutrition between mid-gestation and two years of age. Children who are malnourished--not just fussy eaters but truly deprived of adequate calories and protein in their diet--throughout this period do not adequately grow, either physically or mentally. Their brains are smaller than normal, because of reduced dendritic growth, reduced myelination, and the production of fewer glia (supporting cells in the brain which continue to form after birth and are responsible for producing myelin). Inadequate brain growth explains why children who were malnourished as fetuses and infants suffer often lasting behavioral and cognitive deficits, including slower language and fine motor development, lower IQ, and poorer school performance.
A baby's birth weight--and brain size--do depend on the quality of his or her mother's nutrition during pregnancy. Pregnant women should gain about 20 percent of their ideal pre-pregnancy weight (e.g., 26 pounds for a 130-lb woman) to insure adequate fetal growth. This requires consuming an extra 300 calories per day, including 10-12 extra grams of protein.
After birth, brain growth depends critically on the quality of a child's nutrition. Breast milk offers the best mix of nutrients for promoting brain growth, provided that breast-fed infants receive some form of iron supplementation beginning around six months of age. (Most infant cereals are fortified with iron, and breast-fed babies require this supplementation at six months whether or not their mothers are iron-deficient.) Iron deficiency has been clearly linked to cognitive deficits in young children. Iron is critical for maintaining an adequate number of oxygen-carrying red blood cells, which in turn are necessary to fuel brain growth. Bottle-fed babies should receive formula that contains iron.
Because of the rapid pace of myelination in early life, children need a high level of fat in their diets--some 50 percent of their total calories--until about two years of age. Babies should receive most of this fat from breast milk or formula in the first year of life, and breastmilk remains an excellent source of liquid nutrition into the toddler years. However, whole cow's milk can be introduced after the first birthday, and provides an excellent source of both fat and protein for toddlers in the second year. After two years of age, children should begin transitioning to a more heart-healthy level of dietary fat (no more than 30 percent of total calories), including lower-fat cow's milk (1 or 2%).

ZERO TO THREE:

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
How completely out of touch with reality are you, bro?

In the culture we're discussing, the only sense of worth that many of these women feel is that someone may find them sexually appealing. You think they'll argue with a guy about contraception? Many of whom will beat or kill a woman if they feel like it. Those guys will be persuaded to wear a condom?

Then I must say I feel sorry for you because it is obvious we live in two different countries. If you wore to say that the actions described by you are the actions of some Dominicans then it could be understood, but to insinuate that all Dominicans act in such a way is completely irresponsible of you.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
but to insinuate that all Dominicans act in such a way is completely irresponsible of you

I made no such insinuation. But I feel confident about the generalization I made about the males that have engendered this young lady's children.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
All I can say is thank God for all our blessings. Many have it worse!!!!
Indeed.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gz23Otv7mbU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sign of the times.

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, Nals, poverty is increasing in the US. But relatively speaking, it is nothing like poverty here. The only differences I can see, as far as the homeless go, are that the climate is warm year round here and, if one searches, he can find tropical fruit growing nearby for food. Further, the culture here is such that people share food when they have it. In the US, that is not the case.

In the US rarely do you see a family of 6 or 8 living in one room with a roof that leaks and dirt floor and all sleeping on one mattress. Rarely in the US do people need to go to the river to relieve themselves, wash their clothes, and get water to bathe and cook. In the US, there are libraries, or gas stations, or restaurants, or stores where these things can be taken care of. I am not saying it is easy for the homeless in the US.

But it is a hard comparison when comparing to the DR.

Lindsey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where are the fathers of the kids? What type of men did she sleep with? How would they let their kids live like this? I don't know how people could have the heart to let this happen. I feel very sorry for the lady because she opened a personal hell for herself by having 7 kids without being able to support them. She might need to put some up for adoption in an orphanage. My heart goes out to her. And all this happens in the same country where the top ten percent live like the wealthiest Americans. It is very disturbing.

So you are saying it's the rich people's fault? I was in Ethiopia in 1986 doing famine relief. One of the questions I asked a relief doctor was " why do they keep having children" His answer was that the female body when it is undernourished , both physically and emotionally, seems to be very fertile and produce children at a prolific rate. This poor ignorant girl/woman has nothing but her children. They give her comfort even when she is worried about feeding them. The sex give her comfort as well that she is desirable.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Yes, Nals, poverty is increasing in the US. But relatively speaking, it is nothing like poverty here. The only differences I can see, as far as the homeless go, are that the climate is warm year round here and, if one searches, he can find tropical fruit growing nearby for food. Further, the culture here is such that people share food when they have it. In the US, that is not the case.

In the US rarely do you see a family of 6 or 8 living in one room with a roof that leaks and dirt floor and all sleeping on one mattress. Rarely in the US do people need to go to the river to relieve themselves, wash their clothes, and get water to bathe and cook. In the US, there are libraries, or gas stations, or restaurants, or stores where these things can be taken care of. I am not saying it is easy for the homeless in the US.

But it is a hard comparison when comparing to the DR.

Lindsey

The poverty in the USA is about 16 percent of the population. However blacks and hispanics are at like 20 or 25 percent which is similar to the DR. However, in the USA with all the money available, sad to say but people always have the option to sell drugs, rob people and make money illegally and live comfortably off of it. They can also eat out of garbage cans and maybe get money from the government. Int the DR, the garbage cans do not have much food. The water pipes spit out water that is not drinkable, the friends and family have nothing to give since they are poor too normally. The government does not give welfare or unemployment. The drug market is smaller because people do not have the money to buy like they do in the USA. Robbing people does not work as well because barrios attack people and the Policia Natiocional kills ladrones. The homes have much less items in them to steal. POVERTY IN THE DR, kills. It is no joke.

I will never forget when my visa was destroyed on the beach in Boca Chica by the water by mistake. The IRS hit my aco****s with levies coincidentally at the same time. My family and friends had nothing to send me. And I was in the DR in a cyn and cement house hungry, thirsty and in the middle of a barrio with my son and wife next door to a good friend of mine. My funds had run out to buy a ticket or anything at all. The rice and plantains and tiny pieces of meat did not fill me up. My wife's job of 4 dollars a day did not cut it. I have been broke in New York in the ghetto and eaten nothing but tomatoes and cheese sandwiches for 2 weeks. I owuld sit in front of projects and stare at people and try to figure out who to rob and which car to take and sell in a chop shop. But the feeling of being thirsty with no money to buy water and no food in the DR is more serious. The DR poverty is much stronger.

The island is a paradise for those with some money but with no money, it is life threatening. In the USA, poverty is sad but in the DR it is a killer.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
bob saunders said:
I was in Ethiopia in 1986 doing famine relief.

I am not sure if I would have been emotionally able to handle that. Hell, it was hard to watch on TV. Much respect.

Aug 21, 2007
Gringobachata7, thank you for your candidness and insight. You have lived it. No one can question or challenge it.

Lindsey

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
One thing is certain, Dominican poor were born poor and will most likely die poor, where as, American poor were once of the middle class and now find themselves as poor. IMO, It is much harder to once have had economic freedom and now have nothing, than to never have had it at all. You can't miss what you've never had.