The passing of James Reed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know if James ever posted on DR1, but he was a very good man:
This was just posted by Greg Roddis on Facebook:

May be an image of 1 person and text

I'm truly sorry to hear about the passing of our dear friend, James Read. It is with heavy hearts that we share this news with our community.
James was not just an admin; he was a cherished member of our Sosua Dominican Republic group, and his presence will be greatly missed.
James passed away on the 23rd of December, leaving behind a void that cannot be filled. Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to his wonderful wife, Carol, and their family. During this incredibly difficult time, we want to extend our support to Carol and all those who were close to James.
James was more than just an admin; he was a friend to many, always ready with a kind word or helpful advice. His contributions to our community were invaluable, and we are grateful for the positive impact he had on all of us.
As we come to terms with this loss, let us remember James for the joy and warmth he brought into our lives. We encourage you to share your memories and stories of James, offering each other comfort and support.
Let's come together as a community to honor James's memory and provide strength to each other during this challenging time.
Our thoughts are with Carol and the entire family as they navigate through this sorrowful moment. May James rest in peace, and may his memory live on in the stories we share and the love we continue to foster within our community.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
He was known as Olly on DR1. He would always sign Olly and Team at the end of his posts. He was posted regularly years ago but I hadn't seen anything from him in a while. His posts were rarely positive.
Thanks for the context.

And what Sosua group was he the moderator of?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
RIP

-----

Was he from Massachussetts? Was he somehow related to William Read, who was from there?

William Read was the patriarch of all the Dominican Read families. I have the interview that he made in 1871 for the US Commission. It's in the "Report of the Commission of Inquiry to Santo Domingo" (1871) which was then given to the US Congress. This was during the attempt to annex the Dominican Republic.

I guess he could be considered one of the first expats of the DR.

JRA2Rl2.jpg

JRA2aR9.jpg

JRA2YH7.jpg

JRA25SS.jpg

JRA2cNe.jpg

JRA2lDu.jpg

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
RIP

-----

Was he from Massachussetts? Was he somehow related to William Read, who was from there?

William Read was the patriarch of all the Dominican Read families. I have the interview that he made in 1871 for the US Commission. It's in the "Report of the Commission of Inquiry to Santo Domingo" (1871) which was then given to the US Congress. This was during the attempt to annex the Dominican Republic.

I guess he could be considered one of the first expats of the DR.

JRA2Rl2.jpg

JRA2aR9.jpg

JRA2YH7.jpg

JRA25SS.jpg

JRA2cNe.jpg

JRA2lDu.jpg

He was a Brit.

Reactions: NALs