The perfect car for the Dominican Republic? What would it be for you?

The perfect car for the Dominican Republic?

• 4x4 Jeep

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Minivan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUV

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • A compact car

• Any car as long as it’s new

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Your own option

• Total voters
Aug 21, 2007
I drive a Jeep Wrangler. It is perfect for me because I can drive to the off road mountain communities. I love its ruggedness. It is looking a little beat up these days due to my bad judgement when moving in tight spots. But am headed out of the country next week and I gave instruction to make it look like new again ( so I can start over with bumps and dents and scratches.)

Reactions: Glenn Burke

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
OIP.uC_SSA9DqVmUhju5B_urPQAAAA

Anything Toyota will be good. My Toyota is a 2008 5 sp. manual with a 4 cylinder non turbo diesel. Same as a Lexus GX470 with a less un-needed options:

1726781954186.jpeg

Of course, you can't go wrong with one of these Blazers:
244672010_10157928199746121_1718130699206287774_n.jpg

I'm not going to say anything about my Cherokee because it's being a bad boy at the moment.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
A mid size SUV, not a gas guzzler as gas is not cheap here. But one that does not get destroyed by pot holes (although the roads in general are better now). Something with a little ground clearance if you want to get to quieter beaches which normally mean going down uneven dirt roads. I have been here 21 years and have always said that I would never buy a brand new car here....but that changed this year when I bought a 2024 MG One, and have not regretted that purchase at all. If you buy a new car, make sure you get them to give you a good warranty. I have 6 years providing I take it to Santiago for the check ups according to the warranty card. That doesn't bother me as my eldest daughter is at university in Santiago so it is a good excuse to go and see her...not that I need an excuse to see her! My car was U$37,000 brand new but they gave me a 5K discount, and I really love the car. I don't care that MG is Chinese and no longer British. The quality of the car is pretty awesome being Chinese!

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I drive a Jeep Wrangler. It is perfect for me because I can drive to the off road mountain communities. I love its ruggedness. It is looking a little beat up these days due to my bad judgement when moving in tight spots. But am headed out of the country next week and I gave instruction to make it look like new again ( so I can start over with bumps and dents and scratches.)
I had a Wrangler I bought new in 1990, and sold it 20 years later for more than I paid for it new. I'm guessing yours is an automatic?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A mid size SUV, not a gas guzzler as gas is not cheap here. But one that does not get destroyed by pot holes (although the roads in general are better now). Something with a little ground clearance if you want to get to quieter beaches which normally mean going down uneven dirt roads. I have been here 21 years and have always said that I would never buy a brand new car here....but that changed this year when I bought a 2024 MG One, and have not regretted that purchase at all. If you buy a new car, make sure you get them to give you a good warranty. I have 6 years providing I take it to Santiago for the check ups according to the warranty card. That doesn't bother me as my eldest daughter is at university in Santiago so it is a good excuse to go and see her...not that I need an excuse to see her! My car was U$37,000 brand new but they gave me a 5K discount, and I really love the car. I don't care that MG is Chinese and no longer British. The quality of the car is pretty awesome being Chinese!
I have an Australian friend in Thailand that bought the same vehicle. He has had it for a year and loves it, so far.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a 2020 Subaru Forester, it has 8.5 inches of ground clearance and I haven't found a road I can't go on, though if is really rough I take my 2007 Santa Fe Limited, more powerful engine and thicker sheet metal.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I love the Toyota Rush for the DR. This is the RAV 4 non hybrid version to be more detailed. Great gas milage, enough power to get up the road to Constanza, and will go everywhere that does not need an actual 4x4.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think it depends on what you like to do. I don't go off-road so I prefer a large sedan for the ride. The ride on normal roads is much better than in a SUV. Less roll on curvy roads, too. Here, I would stick to a Toyota or Honda. I have a Camry.