The Police creates anti-noise agency

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Direccion-Especializada-Antirruidos-Diario-Libre-1024x652.png

The National Police announces it has created an internal agency to deal with noise nationwide. The new agency replaces the anti-noise unit of the Police. A report in Diario Libre recently evidenced the low resources assigned to the unit.

Diario Libre reports that the new Specialized Anti-noise Agency has been allotted more resources is to control noise pollution. It is under the Central Prevention Agency of the Police.

Police director Eduardo Then said the entity will impose legal sanctions for noise damages to people and the environment, according to Law 287-04 on Prevention, Suppression and Limitation of Noxious and Annoying Noises. This law was amended by Law 90-19, and Environmental Law 64-00.

Noise pollution affects low-income and high-income neighborhoods as well. Neighborhood groups have complained of little or no support from the authorities...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope the noise laws are enforced all the while being fully aware the most likely enforcement will be selective and sporadic.

Reactions: Taylor

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Nothing new, Las Patrullas Antiruidos have been in DR for long time.
Probably is a independent department of La Policía Nacional.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some people must not get out much(?). They have been confiscating sound equipment and closing down establishments that violate the noise laws for a long time now. There have been videos and articles posted right here in this forum about it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some people must not get out much(?). They have been confiscating sound equipment and closing down establishments that violate the noise laws for a long time now. There have been videos and articles posted right here in this forum about it.
And yet it continues .....

Reactions: slowmo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And yet it continues .....
Much less than before. Haven't you read about what's going on in Santiago or seen any of the articles and videos here?

We've had equipment confiscated from one place, two closed down, and one served by the fiscal and Medio Ambiente which finally got their attention and they turned down their music because the next step was they were going to be closed down.

It's going to take a while for the message to get through the thick skulls of all the inconsiderate barrio buttheads here.

Reactions: windeguy and Taylor

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm guessing that the message isn't getting thru for 2 reasons. First they are pretty much illiterate and can't read the rules. Second is they are deaf from the loud music so there is no point telling them the rules because they claim they can't hear them.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm guessing that the message isn't getting thru for 2 reasons. First they are pretty much illiterate and can't read the rules. Second is they are deaf from the loud music so there is no point telling them the rules because they claim they can't hear them.
Unless they're they blind also, they will notice that their speakers are gone.

Reactions: windeguy

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Unless they're they blind also, they will notice that their speakers are gone.
I hope the police continue to seize and destroy speakers. Unfortunately, like most DR government rules they run out of steam and they are rarely enforced.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope the police continue to seize and destroy speakers. Unfortunately, like most DR government rules they run out of steam and they are rarely enforced.
They started enforcing this law many years ago and, if anything, it's really gaining momentum. Neighborhood groups are no longer intimidated by these morons and are pushing for, and receiving, action. I think you can expect to see it continue and expand.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They started enforcing this law many years ago and, if anything, it's really gaining momentum. Neighborhood groups are no longer intimidated by these morons and are pushing for, and receiving, action. I think you can expect to see it continue and expand.
I hope you are right. After seeing how the DR government is cashing in on speeders they should take another page from the Edmonton Police Service hand book.
$1000 dollar fine for excessive vehicle noise. I'm sure they could change that to just excessive noise. Not only could we see speakers destroyed but we could bankrupt the idiots that keep buying them

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope you are right. After seeing how the DR government is cashing in on speeders they should take another page from the Edmonton Police Service hand book.
$1000 dollar fine for excessive vehicle noise. I'm sure they could change that to just excessive noise. Not only could we see speakers destroyed but we could bankrupt the idiots that keep buying them
Well, some of the establishments that violated the noise laws were closed permanently. That has to have hurt the owner financially.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Playing loud music should be punished by a strong beating. 40 lashes would do the job. I would say don't lose time confiscating goodies. Just beat up these guys. It might be an efficient solution.

• Love

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You would think the hearing aid business would be a good one for DR.
Half these Reggaetoneras will be nearly deaf at very early ages

• Love
Reactions: windeguy and Squat