The Preferred Dominican Banks With Expats

What Dominican bank(s) do you have one or more accounts? (Pick as many that apply)

• Banreservas

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Popular

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Caribe

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Santa Cruz

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Scotiabank

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • López de Haro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BHD

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Asociación La Nacional

• Asociación Cibao

• Other(s)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I opened my BHD account with a passport many years ago but have since gotten a cedula and use my cedula number to sign into the app.
Prior to getting a cedula, I'm pretty sure I logged on using my passport number, but that was on their online website on my laptop - not on their app.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Do they all provide a means to have U.S. social security checks transferred in in dollars?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do they all provide a means to have U.S. social security checks transferred in in dollars?
US Social Security does NOT issue checks anymore. Only Direct Deposit or a Debit card.............

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Prior to getting a cedula, I'm pretty sure I logged on using my passport number, but that was on their online website on my laptop - not on their app.
Does not work to log in with either the app or the website. They said it was an issue with all accounts opened with passports. Maybe it’s a recent problem.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Sky. My bad for using the word (social security) check. As a recipient I'm well aware how it arrives. Correct me again if I'm wrong but I get a Dominican bank account, and then take the account information to the US Embassy and arrange to have my social security direct deposited into the bank in a dollar account? And do all banks down there have this arrangement or only a few?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky. My bad for using the word (social security) check. As a recipient I'm well aware how it arrives. Correct me again if I'm wrong but I get a Dominican bank account, and then take the account information to the US Embassy and arrange to have my social security direct deposited into the bank in a dollar account? And do all banks down there have this arrangement or only a few?
You would need to go to the US Embassy in the DR I believe. But be aware if you do this every year you will need to receive a letter to be filled out and mailed back to the US stating you are here. If they do not receive it they cancel your SS and Medicare. I kid you not. You can find this rule on the SS website. Not recommended..........

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You would need to go to the US Embassy in the DR I believe. But be aware if you do this every year you will need to receive a letter to be filled out and mailed back to the US stating you are here. If they do not receive it they cancel your SS and Medicare. I kid you not. You can find this rule on the SS website. Not recommended..........
That is exactly why I decided NOT to have my social security deposited in my Dominican bank account.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks SKY and cavok. I'll follow up on that before I make any decision. I appreciate the heads up.