The reputation of food in the DR

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
After having several times amoeben the first things I buy nowadays in holiday are a few bottles of rum and cans of vegetables. So I keep healthy. And also loose a few kilos superfluous weight without metronidazol.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
At these buffet restaurants on the resorts where 1000 people gather for a meal, how many of them do you think have recently washed their hands? Even with sanitizer dispensers all over the place, it's too much trouble to squirt and rub. I have watched some people do the craziest things while dishing out their mountain of grazing fodder.

Child, 9 or 10, can't decide if he likes something, licks the serving spoon, decides he doesn't and puts the spoon back into the entree. Adult clearly suffering from allergies, blows his nose in a napkin he removed from a table, folds it up again and puts it back on the table. Child drops serving spoon on the floor, picks it up and sticks it back into the food. Finally, a lady sneezed all over the salad bar, wiped her nose with the back of her hand and proceeded to cut a hunk of bread at the bread station.

We may like to blame the hotels because it's easy and none of us would ever do anything to make someone else ill...like go to work when sick, send your child to school then they are sick and of course we are all fastidious with our hygiene in the buffet line.

These are all valid but call them extenuating circumstances as these activities dont just happen from tourist in the DR. I believe the difference is the staff and cooks doing all these things behind the scenes(scratching the itchy a-hole while making salad) that makes the DR a higher threat. We all know the lack of common sense here tops anywhere i have ever seen.

May 29, 2006
Cruise ships are prob higher risk esp with Norovirus..

The AI I stayed at last Dec had pretty good hygene standards as far as I could tell(and I used to cook for colleges). I think they used a central commisary system for several resorts.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
It has been years since I stayed in a AI, but when I did I made it a point to get up early and eat a big breakfast while it was fresh then I'd snack on fruit and breads throughout the day. I'm always suspicious of food that is sitting out.

I find it odd that hot peppers don't seem to be popular at all in the DR. They do help kill some bacteria, and eating in places where food safety is not a priority, I'm surprised never to see them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It has been years since I stayed in a AI, but when I did I made it a point to get up early and eat a big breakfast while it was fresh then I'd snack on fruit and breads throughout the day. I'm always suspicious of food that is sitting out.

I find it odd that hot peppers don't seem to be popular at all in the DR. They do help kill some bacteria, and eating in places where food safety is not a priority, I'm surprised never to see them.

Dominican palates cannot tolerate hot peppers. lucky for them, because the local habaneros are some ferocious beasts.

Aug 6, 2006
Dominican palates cannot tolerate hot peppers. lucky for them, because the local habaneros are some ferocious beasts.

There were a lot of Scotch Bonnet and Jalape?o peppers at the Presidente Supermarket in N. Miami yesterday. labeled "product of the Dominican Republic."

The DR is an island, but not a spice island, Salt and garlic seem to be the only spices that are commonly used among the Dominicanos I know.
Garklic, usually not enough. Salt, waaaaay demasiado.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

There were a lot of Scotch Bonnet and Jalape?o peppers at the Presidente Supermarket in N. Miami yesterday. labeled "product of the Dominican Republic."

The DR is an island, but not a spice island, Salt and garlic seem to be the only spices that are commonly used among the Dominicanos I know.
Garklic, usually not enough. Salt, waaaaay demasiado.

i have never seen a genuine scotch bonnet pepper in the DR. regular habaneros, yes. Scotch Bonnets must be all exported.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have several different varieties of hot peppers growing next to us, apparently spread by birds. One is round and the size of a marble- beyond hot
. Another looks very similar to a scotch bonnet , and there is no reason they would grow here, however I haven't tried them. The third kind is like a Jalapeno in size and shape and the locals put it in with water, vinegar and some herbs and use it on goat. It's hot and yes the locals love it.
https://buckeyepepper.com/scotch-bonnet-yellow-dominican-republic.html

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Google translation:
PUNTA CANA - Tourists from home and abroad complain bitterly about food poisoning at hotels in the Dominican Republic. Review sites are filled with stories of upset stomach, nausea and diarrhea.

Two weeks ago, the newlywed couple and Michou Jeroen Venema died while on holiday in the country. According to local doctors died Dutch couple after eating contaminated fish.

Cases of food poisoning from raw burgers, ice cubes and tap water tainted fish on the Dominican Republic seem the rule rather than the exception. On TripAdvisor and Facebook are numerous complaints from travelers who had to spend their days on the toilet.

The situation might even be so bad in some hotels that frightened travelers rebook their vacation to stay in a hygienic place. One of them is the Dutch Jolanda Boogaard. De Telegraaf tells them that she has now changed her trip, but that fails many people. Boogard pointing her finger at tour operator TUI, which would refuse to accommodate people at another hotel. On the Facebook page of Riu Republica writes that the problems are known to TUI, but nothing is done to. "As long as there is money earned." TUI has not yet responded.

Also on the website of the travel giant vacationers are not mild in their wordings. About the hotel Sensimar Bravo someone says: "We have two sleepless nights we had spent on the toilet. Unfortunately there are no dining options "Another:" outside the hotel. Do not go unless you dream of getting diarrhea. "

A spokesman for Riu Republica, in the tourist resort Punta Cana, has announced in a statement that the hygiene regulations are strictly observed. "We want to emphasize that all our guests can eat and drink."
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/26108258/__Buikloop_in_het_paradijs__.html

I still dont believe that the two deaths were caused by food poisoning. I have never heard of two young people dying from food poisoning and apparently they were on an excursion where everybody ate the same thing. Its possible they ate something different from a beach vendor but on Isla Saona I dont remember any beach vendors walking around. Something else happened here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans seem to be resistant to parasites here.Many drink the tap water. Wife eats that lambi on the beach all day long.
Im here two days, very careful
and I am sick. Wash fruits and veggies in chloro and still get it. Abendezole 200 mg is my best friend. Would not go on a cruise if they paid me. Good
food hygiene is next to impossible on a ship with a third world crew doing meal prep.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I still dont believe that the two deaths were caused by food poisoning. I have never heard of two young people dying from food poisoning and apparently they were on an excursion where everybody ate the same thing. Its possible they ate something different from a beach vendor but on Isla Saona I dont remember any beach vendors walking around. Something else happened here.

That thought has crossed everyone else's mind as well, but we dont want to dare speculate on such things, until the autopsy toxicology is complete.
Also no one wants to speculate on a recreational drugs maybe cut with something bad, but that would come out in the toxicology for sure, so best to wait.
I also don't believe this was Food related , unless it was some strange special request.
I also highly doubt it was accidental rat poison... something much more sinister here, imo.
If it was food, someone would have recalled something by now that was specific to them only.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have several different varieties of hot peppers growing next to us, apparently spread by birds. One is round and the size of a marble- beyond hot
. Another looks very similar to a scotch bonnet , and there is no reason they would grow here, however I haven't tried them. The third kind is like a Jalapeno in size and shape and the locals put it in with water, vinegar and some herbs and use it on goat. It's hot and yes the locals love it.
https://buckeyepepper.com/scotch-bonnet-yellow-dominican-republic.html

bob, this is funny. a Canadian chiming in about scotch bonnet peppers. i almost laughed. then again, i won?t argue with you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know nothing about hot peppers of any kind because we don't like them. I've bought the little round hot ones accidentally [thought they were cachucha peppers/aji gustoso]. On our property are several hot pepper plants that have very tiny long peppers that I've never tried. Gave a bunch to Matilda and she said they were HOT.

Our maid [Dominican] uses them for her family, and I'm pretty sure they were originally planted by our Haitian ex-caretaker. Some Dominicans love hot peppers - and hot sauce!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know nothing about hot peppers of any kind because we don't like them. I've bought the little round hot ones accidentally [thought they were cachucha peppers/aji gustoso]. On our property are several hot pepper plants that have very tiny long peppers that I've never tried. Gave a bunch to Matilda and she said they were HOT.

Our maid [Dominican] uses them for her family, and I'm pretty sure they were originally planted by our Haitian ex-caretaker. Some Dominicans love hot peppers - and hot sauce!

those long green hot peppers are not that hot, but they are great for people who cannot tolerate real peppers like wiri wiri or scorpions.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
So where are the moderators now?
Talk about bashing Dominicans.
So the entire country has food poisoning now.
SMH :(

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So where are the moderators now?
Talk about bashing Dominicans.
So the entire country has food poisoning now.
SMH :(

I'm here. We've evolved from the OP.

I'm sorry you think this thread bashes Dominicans when in fact it exposes the fact that AIs all over the Caribbean and Central America have the same dilemma. Illnesses are often the result of over-eating, over-drinking and over-sunning.