The reputation of food in the DR

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
stay away from those bright red little peppers. they are called bird peppers in the english caribbean, and they will light you up!!

They were hot but fab, especially in Thai hot and sour soup, with fresh lemon grass, ginger, lime juice and cilantro. Kills any parasite known to man.

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
The tiny (1 in) bright green chile piqu?n will raise welts on your tongue and less than a drop in your eye will blind you for a day, but they are still less than the hottest.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Rubbish, i don't believe it ( regarding the health departments statement in the OP)
Many DR people can not even read, and they are cooking for 'US'
I was a fool!!!!
But no longer, im going to import a Thai sexy mama to cook for me and rub oil into my hairy assed back.
Either that or eat at that over priced irish bar in Cabarete....EVERY DAY

I like that overpriced Irish place in Cabarete. FYI, Big Frank's place in St. Thomas was overpriced too, but his food and service is consistently good and it's not really overpriced, just a little.. haha.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OMG, well I'm glad I gave them away. Anyone who wants any can come and pick 'em. :)

We filled a ziplock sandwich bag in about 2 minutes

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You would think after 25 years of traveling the Caribbean and Mexico I would learn my lesson. Nope, every trip I get sick for a day and it's always after having a fish dinner the night before, be it while at an AI or eating at a street restaurant. Not breaded fish and chips type dinner, but pan-fried. I don't think it's ciguatera because I only have intestinal symptoms, not neurological, and they last 24 hours or less.

Oddly enough in Barbados I can eat flying fish on a daily basis and not get sick, and the ceviche in AI buffet doesn't give me a problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You would think after 25 years of traveling the Caribbean and Mexico I would learn my lesson. Nope, every trip I get sick for a day and it's always after having a fish dinner the night before, be it while at an AI or eating at a street restaurant. Not breaded fish and chips type dinner, but pan-fried. I don't think it's ciguatera because I only have intestinal symptoms, not neurological, and they last 24 hours or less.

Oddly enough in Barbados I can eat flying fish on a daily basis and not get sick, and the ceviche in AI buffet doesn't give me a problem.

because guys in Barbados change the oil more often than once per year.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I suppose, but as I said I only eat pan-fried, not deep fried. I've never seen flying fish deep fried. I would think it would have to be in and out of the oil in 30 seconds or it would taste like cardboard.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I'm here. We've evolved from the OP.

I'm sorry you think this thread bashes Dominicans when in fact it exposes the fact that AIs all over the Caribbean and Central America have the same dilemma. Illnesses are often the result of over-eating, over-drinking and over-sunning.

I'm here. We've evolved from the OP.

I'm sorry you think this thread bashes Dominicans when in fact it exposes the fact that AIs all over the Caribbean and Central America have the same dilemma. Illnesses are often the result of over-eating, over-drinking and over-sunning.

I certainly agree that there is a true dilemma with visitors getting food poisoning.
I know first hand as it has happened to me and my family.
My comment was in protest to the vulgar posts about Dominicans and their lack of hygiene.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I certainly agree that there is a true dilemma with visitors getting food poisoning.
I know first hand as it has happened to me and my family.
My comment was in reference to the vulgar posts about Dominicans from ringo Starr.

Mr Starr is crude and rude, but perhaps it makes him feel better to belittle people. Obviously a person with deeply troubled thoughts. Mass produced food is inheritly danger for human consumption. Most Dominicans have little or no training in food hygene, however I know of a number of places where they keep a very clean kitchen and have excellent personal hygiene and the food is good.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
People get sick because the infection comes to their food with some feces, saliva, urine, or other substances like discharge from nose, penis or vagina of infected staff in the kitchen. Who are the kitchen staff? Dominicans. Any more questions about hygiene?

Those cooks live in barrios, they don't have hot water, sometimes they don't have a toilet in their home, they never ever did any lab test on any infection they may have.... they live like animals, what you expect? German standards in the kitchen?

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
People get sick because the infection comes to their food with some feces, saliva, urine, or other substances like discharge from nose, penis or vagina of infected staff in the kitchen. Who are the kitchen staff? Dominicans. Any more questions about hygiene?

Those cooks live in barrios, they don't have hot water, sometimes they don't have a toilet in their home, they never ever did any lab test on any infection they may have.... they live like animals, what you expect? German standards in the kitchen?

I eat in many of these barrios you talk about....never been sick myself. I have been sick eating in gringo run establishments.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

They should probably have the same type laws here they do in Panama. All food workers starting with farm workers have to have a health inspection every month, and any infection at allin the body, even a rotting tooth will keep one from working until it is taken care of. Sex workers get a medical check up every week, costs $12.00, and she is issued a new card good for 7 days only.
Der Fish

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

German standards? They eat rotting cabbage. Enough said. ;)

Gringo Starr you do realize that there are a good number of members in these forums, Dominican and expats, who have Dominican staff to help with household cleaning and cooking. I'll take their opinion over yours.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
They should probably have the same type laws here they do in Panama. All food workers starting with farm workers have to have a health inspection every month, and any infection at allin the body, even a rotting tooth will keep one from working until it is taken care of.

Laws don't work in DR.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I eat in many of these barrios you talk about....never been sick myself. I have been sick eating in gringo run establishments.

If your immune system is strong, you never get sick. If your immune system is weak, you get sick everywhere. But this has nothing to do with the Dominican kitchen staff and their lack of hygiene.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
even a rotting tooth will keep one from working until it is taken care of.
I think it will be almost impossible to find a Dominican without at least one rotting tooth. It's the same like it's impossible to find a Dominican woman without some vaginal infection, lol.... if they have this law here, all restaurants and resorts will be paralyzed.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If your immune system is strong, you never get sick. If your immune system is weak, you get sick everywhere. But this has nothing to do with the Dominican kitchen staff and their lack of hygiene.

Why do you equate poverty with lack of hygiene....this has not been my experience. I have found most poor Dominicans I know to be very heedful of their hygiene. I worry more about the water being used in prepping food or refrigeration, not personal hygiene.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I think it will be almost impossible to find a Dominican without at least one rotting tooth. It's the same like it's impossible to find a Dominican woman without some vaginal infection, lol.... if they have this law here, all restaurants and resorts will be paralyzed.

Come on, have you ever been on the island?

Trolling.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Come on, have you ever been on the island?

Trolling.

Live here since 2003. And it's data that was officially published by some Dominican gynecologists that more than 70% of their patients are diagnosed with at least one infection.... I don't have data about rotting teeth, but according to my friend dentist, it's not better percentage... and most of those people who work at the kitchen at those resorts, probably have never seen any doctor and never been tested for any infection, they just don't have money for that. And even if they diagnosed with some infection, they leave it untreated because they don't have money for medicines. Just one pill to treat simple candida infection costs 1000 pesos... and treat parasites in their intestines is even more expensive.... so they just live with these infections, parasites, fungus, etc... they never wash their hands (porque no importa), they prepare food with these germs under their fingernails.... so what? If your immune system is good, no problem... if not so good, you know...