The sad story of Dr. Linares (Sosua)

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Make sure to read the second paragraph;

Based on testimony of wife’s friend.

Approximately one week ago, Dr. Linares (also known as the US doctor across from Supermarket Pola in Sosua) was paid a visit by an angry Dominican woman in his clinic. During an argument she proceeded to hit the doctor over his head with some kind of metal object. Despite the severe blow to his head, he managed to throw the woman out. Following this, the lump on his head grew rapidly, and they proceeded to CMC hospital where he was admitted. The following day the doctor slipped into a coma, and on the 3rd day he passed away.

To make matters worse, after the attack on Dr. Linares, when the wife was returning from the hospital (heading to supposedly to report the crime), she was captured by the reckless Immigration personnel carrying out their “hunt the gringo” raids. Once released, she the next day mainly focused on her husband’s situation, and then supposedly was shrugged off by the police for not reporting the incident immediately.

According to her friends they know the woman’s name and where she resides. They have now involved a lawyer and hope to finally make some progress with the case, despite the police trying to rick it in the bin as though it was the old traffic dispute.

Source: NPN

Feb 12, 2017

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
An increadably horrible story.

I pray for her, her family and justice to be done.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I knew Dr. Linares. He was one of the first people I met when I arrived here. I was loaded down with a few bags of groceries - some of the very first first supplies for our new home. I crossed the street to ask if he could call a taxi for me. He was a kind man and my wife and I spent many hours talking to him and April over glasses of juice in the months and years that followed. 

This senseless and completely unjustifiable assault makes me angry. A symptom and certainly an example of the low value placed on life by some and a further indictment of the blatantly corrupt and compromised police detachment here in Sosua.

The community should demand immediate changes in our policing from the top down to restore confidence and accountability.

Dr. Linares' death is a personal loss and a loss to our community. There are so few truly kind and caring souls around, we cannot afford to lose them.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting . When we stopped by his former location, we were told he died from a heart attack. I guess they did not know the real story.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What I didn't get from the OP but from the link dv8 posted, he was transferred to a public hospital without the wife's consent since she was detained and only returned to the hospital when she was released in the afternoon! Even though she had paid an advance to the hospital she brought him too. Horrible story, this country is only getting worse.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I know a lot of people laud CMC for being a good clinic, but just look at what happened, including the evidence that the wife paid a deposit to admit him.

So immigration arrest the wife and detain her, in the meantime CMC don't get any more money to treat Dr Linares, so they transfer him to a public hospital where he dies.  Even though CMC has a neurosurgeon on the books and is in fact the director of this clinic.

This is outrageous and just shows that CMC is not about treating sick people, but a business, nothing more.  If you don't pay your bill, you die simple as that.  The hippocratic oath has no meaning in the DR.  I hope that the wife will sue CMC.  Or at least it gets some negative publicity.  

A hospital letting a doctor die.......disgusting.

My advice, don't go to CMC even if your life depends on it.  They are money grabbing charlatans.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
What a tragedy, I didn’t know him but heard many nice things about him.  Sometimes I wonder if the big guy “G” passed over the DR when he is supposedly looking out for us :)

What most don’t know he was working on his life-time project of making some popular drugs here locally and then distributing them world-wide. He was in serious talks with our local investor (think Anvee, jijiji)  to do this. It would have create many new jobs here, but now all is gone and his dreams. 

My freind was in shock also, they just finished a meeting a few days ago. Sometimes the senseless things that go on here (well all over) confuse me what it is really all about. 

singletravel 

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
This incident needs the same type of movement as Brent from Perla Sosúa including support/pressure from the embassy. Otherwise it will just be another gringocide.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
This sounds so outrageous perhaps the story is not accurate. Once I was at the cashier to pay for a consultation at CMC and the person in front of me was discussing with the cashier how to pay his bill upon being discharged and after being in the hospital for 4 days. He had paid nothing so far. And had been admitted and treated before payment. He finally put the bill on his credit card. Another confusing thing is that a doctor would not have medical insurance. That sounds odd too. It is a very tragic story.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very sorry to hear it ... May he rest in Peace, and hope that woman is arrested and goes to Prison.. Sounds like murder , he just did not die immediately. Very sad when even a DOCTOR is attacked in such a senseless way.
Was this woman mentally deranged ?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Very sorry to hear it ... May he rest in Peace, and hope that woman is arrested and goes to Prison.. Sounds like murder , he just did not die immediately. Very sad when even a DOCTOR is attacked in such a senseless way.
Was this woman mentally deranged ?
As related, it was murder. Not premeditated, but murder just the same.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
This sounds so outrageous perhaps the story is not accurate. Once I was at the cashier to pay for a consultation at CMC and the person in front of me was discussing with the cashier how to pay his bill upon being discharged and after being in the hospital for 4 days. He had paid nothing so far. And had been admitted and treated before payment. He finally put the bill on his credit card. Another confusing thing is that a doctor would not have medical insurance. That sounds odd too. It is a very tragic story.

I agree the story may not have been reported correctly. Perhaps the doctor paid a fee for er care and then lacking insurance he himself chose to go to the public hospital for further treatment.Too many gaps in this event to jump to conclusions.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
 I agree the story may not have been reported correctly. Perhaps the doctor paid a fee for er care and then lacking insurance he himself chose to go to the public hospital for further treatment.Too many gaps in this event to jump to conclusions. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This incident needs the same type of movement as Brent from Perla Sosúa including support/pressure from the embassy. Otherwise it will just be another gringocide.

just to clarify:
according to detras del rumor he was dominican, not a gringo. there is a picture of his cedula on their FB that shows he was born in DR.