The Santo Domingo World Trade Center is coming.....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That may only reflect reality at certain parts (privileged areas) of the Grand Santo Domingo, and only certain few. As far as the Capital Barrios; well, the story is totally different. Never mind the towns in the interior of the country. The apagones go as much as 12 hours everyday.

Electricity, or the lack thereof is in fact a huge issue in the DR.

Portraying this fact in any other way possible, it just reflect inconsistency with reality or just perhaps shows the lack of it.

Forgot to add "Especially where the majority of the people don't pay for their electricity, i.e. Capital Barrios."

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That may only reflect reality at certain parts (privileged areas) of the Grand Santo Domingo, and only certain few. As far as the Capital Barrios; well, the story is totally different. Never mind the towns in the interior of the country. The apagones go as much as 12 hours everyday.

Electricity, or the lack thereof is in fact a huge issue in the DR.

Portraying this fact in any other way possible, it just reflect inconsistency with reality or just perhaps shows the lack of it.
Definitely agree that portraying any fact any other way is inconsistent with reality.

On another note…

84.9% of clients receiving energy from the EDE's are on the 24 hour circuit.

85.4% of all receivers of energy from the EDE's pay their bill with about 370,000 not paying amounting to a loss of US$240.7 million.

Very important to be as close to accuracy as possible.

Now, what was I saying before? Oh yes, that in this forum it's very common to present issues such as electricity as if they haven't changed or got worse. Go on…

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
At the time of Trujillo running water and sewer systems was widespread in the cities (which were really towns). Most people in this website not just would have had running water, but it would always come out every time a faucet was turn on, always come out in the shower, always was more than enough for flushing the toilet. Better yet, it was such a clean water that it was drinkable coming out of the tap.
Mr AE says you’re 100% correct. He was 13 when Trujillo died so he remembers. No electricity or water issues. No locked doors. Says you could sleep outside and no one would bother you.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Definitely agree that portraying any fact any other way is inconsistent with reality.

On another note…

84.9% of clients receiving energy from the EDE's are on the 24 hour circuit.

85.4% of all receivers of energy from the EDE's pay their bill with about 370,000 not paying amounting to a loss of US$240.7 million.

Very important to be as close to accuracy as possible.

Now, what was I saying before? Oh yes, that in this forum it's very common to present issues such as electricity as if they haven't changed or got worse. Go on…

I'd LOVE to see those numbers from 20 (or even 15 years ago)

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
To be fair, electricity has improved enormously over the last 10 years in my campo.
24 hours and hardly ever any blackouts + much more " stable".

But it is 2021, and perhaps I am a spoiled brat in thinking water and electricity should be must-haves in any halfway developed country.

Forgot to add "Especially where the majority of the people don't pay for their electricity, i.e. Capital Barrios."

True.

But its also good to point out, since we talking about bills which aren't paid for services received vs. those which are paid, but the service not received; how about water?

Most part of Santo Domingo does pay for water service, yet, the water is MIA?

Cisternas, water trucks and water wells are the norm.

I am not making this up, nor do I would want to portray anything else than the reality. BTW, the water and the electricity services have been and continue to be a nightmare in the capital and the entire country for the most parts since the 80's.

Has it been any considerable fix to either? The short answer is no, is has not at the pace it should've been.

In another note, painting these issues with a thinner brush will not make them go away, and even more preposterous is pretend that the country has made enormous work towards arriving at the fix is laughable at best.

As I said, this country like new toys and shiny things!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Mr AE says you’re 100% correct. He was 13 when Trujillo died so he remembers. No electricity or water issues. No locked doors. Says you could sleep outside and no one would bother you.
How many times have I heard that? More than I could possibly remember.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
True.

But its also good to point out, since we talking about bills which aren't paid for services received vs. those which are paid, but the service not received; how about water?

I am not making this up, nor do I would want to portray anything else than the reality. BTW, the water and the electricity services have been and continue to be a nightmare in the capital and the entire country for the most parts since the 80's.

Has it been any considerable fix to either? The short answer is no, is has not at the pace it should've been.

In another note, painting these issues with a thinner brush will not make them go away, and even more preposterous is pretend that the country has made enormous work towards arriving at the fix is laughable at best.

Do you follow any of the social pages of the water corporation? The social pages of the President? Do you have any idea of the water projects that are in process?

Here's some reading for you:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
True.

The CAASD has a client base of around 300,000 in an urban area with around 800,000 households. For anyone to pay a bill, they need to get it in the first place.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Do you follow any of the social pages of the water corporation? The social pages of the President? Do you have any idea of the water projects that are in process?

Here's some reading for you:

It doesn't matter. There is no water services in place since the 80s in this country. That can't be argued.

Reading and posting future project on the cyberspace won't produce water at the faucets of the users.

Does it?

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
The CAASD has a client base of 300,000 in an urban area with around 800,000 households.

And am sure they all get a bill at the end of the month, and for the most part the bills get paid, now, where are the goods citizens are paying for?

Why most people have to pay for water trucks to deliver water to their cisternas every other week?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It doesn't matter. There is no water services in place since the 80s in this country. That can't be argued.

Reading and posting future project on the cyberspace won't produce water at the faucets of the users.

Does it?
If you read the article, you'd know there are many completed projects have been listed. Here is just one:

In 2008 the DR had an installed hydroelectric capacity of 470 MW, accounting for 14% of electricity generating capacity. It is expected that, by 2012, an additional 762MW will have been added. The first three new hydropower plants with a combined capacity of 240MW

And lets not even the mention the water wasted daily by car washes, hoses left open, leaks..

Perfect? Of course not. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And am sure they all get a bill at the end of the month, and for the most part the bills get paid, now, where are the goods citizens are paying for?

Why most people have to pay for water trucks to deliver water to their cisternas every other week?
There is an inconsistency in water distribution due to many things such as a faulty grid system where much of the water is lost before it arrives to many peoples homes and the usage of water in inconsiderate ways (ie. leaving the faucet open and wasting water when a person only uses a part of that) and those are just two issues. That grid in no way covers the entire urban area. It goes without saying that for people not in the grid its very tough for them to get a bill in the first place.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
If you read the article, you'd know there are many completed projects have been listed.

Perfect? Of course not. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

Where is the water?

Everything comes down to it. Where is it?

"“Aquí el agua dura hasta 15 días para llegar y cuando suele llegar es por una hora y hora media. Estamos que vivimos comprando camiones de agua donde solamente un camión pequeño nos cobra 600 pesos”, expresó María Peralta, residente del sector Villa Carmen."

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
There is an inconsistency in water distribution due to many things such as a faulty grid system where much of the water is lost before it arrives to many peoples homes and the usage of water in inconsiderate ways (ie. leaving the faucet open and wasting water when a person only uses a part of that) and those are just two issues. That grid in no way covers the entire urban area. It goes without saying that for people not in the grid its very tough for them to get a bill in the first place.

Non sense.

El Millon, Arroyo Hondo, La Julia.

Those are areas affected and w/o water services for the most part and mind you, these are priveleged areas of la capital.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Go back and read NALS post #30.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Go back and read NALS post #30.

JD,

I live this everyday and so does anyone else living in Santo Domingo. If he, NALs does, lives here too, he too will feel the pain. To try to fake it, look the other way and pretend everything is fine, is humorous to me and a shame for those which would line up behind such fallacy.

The truth is that water is a huge issue in this city and country overall.

Again, most people living in the Grand Santo Domino pay for water services but receive jack!

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD,

I live this everyday and so does anyone else living in Santo Domingo. If he, NALs does, lives here too, he too will feel the pain. To try to fake it, look the other way and pretend everything is fine, is humorous to me and a shame for those which would line up behind such fallacy.

The truth is that water is a huge issue in this city and country overall.

Again, most people living in the Grand Santo Domino pay for water services but receive jack!
I never said it was perfect, and the Lord knows they have their issues. The majority of people do NOT pay for it but still complain when they don't get it. More get it for free than the folks who pay for it and that is a fact.

I am merely stating it has been an issue for years, but they are continually working to improve the situation.

It's a tough job when the demand of the city outpaces their ability to keep up with it.

But to say they're doing nothing about it is not true.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
The CAASD has a client base of around 300,000 in an urban area with around 800,000 households. For anyone to pay a bill, they need to get it in the first place.

I never said it was perfect, and the Lord knows they have their issues. The majority of people do NOT pay for it but still complain when they don't get it. More get it for free than the folks who pay for it and that is a fact.

I am merely stating it has been an issue for years, but they are continually working to improve the situation.

It's a tough job when the demand of the city outpaces their ability to keep up with it.

But to say they're doing nothing about it is not true.

I don't care for the one who get it for free (how much do they actually get and when would be a good guess?), I, and millions others right dead center of the capital pay for it and get nothing.

The fact that there are more clients than the CAASD could accommodate for, does answer and shows exactly my point; the work is slower than the growth and hence the catastrophe existing today.

How could anyone claim something has been achieve to fix the issues and at the same time post and claim that growth has overtaken planning and execution?

Doesn't cities have planners to look out 10, 20, 30 years in the future and plan accordingly to potential demands?

Go ahead and try now to blame it onto the poor barrios and the ones that allegedly get water everyday, yet don't pay for it?

Those are the ones to blame, right?

That will fix it!