The Santo Domingo World Trade Center is coming.....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is being built next to Blue Mall on Ave. Churchill. It will include a Trade Center and luxury suites.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
We need to stop allowing new construction. We need to fix DR problem: Electric, drinking water, refourm police system, public transporation and few others BEFORE we can focus on new buildings and tourism. This is the problem that DR gov't doesnt understand.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We need to stop allowing new construction. We need to fix DR problem: Electric, drinking water, refourm police system, public transporation and few others BEFORE we can focus on new buildings and tourism. This is the problem that DR gov't doesnt understand.
I'm pretty sure the govt. isn't building this private project but it did have to be approved before they started construction.

Why should govt's ability (or inability) to solve social problems stop private investment in the country and creating hundreds of new jobs?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These buildings aren't government projects, they are being built by a private company. Permits and certain construction standards is as as government is involved in a project like this.

By the way, there has been a model of the buildings at Blue Mall for a long time.

Last edited:

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure the govt. isn't building this private project but it did have to be approved before they started construction.

Why should govt's ability (or inability) to solve social problems stop private investment in the country and creating hundreds of new jobs?
You dont get it. DR is bottleneck with many problems like Electric, drinking water, transportation. These needs to be solved before we can countine more construction. good luck if DR is getting into issues with sewer, elec and water if they keep building too many high rises and that cause more traffic. This needs to put on pause and fix the problems FIRST before anything else.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I do not understand why the government pursue two goals. The developers are going to insure a quality supply of water and electric. It is in the interest of their business model.
They government has to be responsible to the transportation issues created by the building and sewer/water treatment system.

The 🇩🇴 is a democracy and capitalist nation. Government should step in where private industry lacks interest. It is a team effort. A two pronged strategy. It is completely in the interest of government to promote private investment while it works on the general welfare of the people as a whole.

I am asking the same question that still has not been answered yet:
Why should 🇩🇴 GOV ability (or inability) to solve social problems stop private investment in the country and creating hundreds of new jobs and following that a greater tax base❓
It has been written the 🇩🇴GOV needs to fix the problems like Electric, drinking water, transportation first before private industry can continue construction.
Why❓
Your serve🎾‼️

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You dont get it. DR is bottleneck with many problems like Electric, drinking water, transportation. These needs to be solved before we can countine more construction. good luck if DR is getting into issues with sewer, elec and water if they keep building too many high rises and that cause more traffic. This needs to put on pause and fix the problems FIRST before anything else.
What makes you think the issues with Electric, drinking water, and transportation are not being addressed?

There's hardly a day that goes by where there isn't something published in the local rags (and on govt. websites) about steps being taken to improve these and other areas.

Then again, if one never reads any of that boring stuff, one would get the impression nothing is being done.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What makes you think the issues with Electric, drinking water, and transportation are not being addressed?
There's hardly a day that goes by where there isn't something published in the local rags (and on govt. websites) about steps being taken to improve these and other areas.
Then again, if one never reads any of that boring stuff, one would get the impression nothing is being done.

But I can 👀 improvement in all of the above areas as move about the 🇩🇴 doing my ADLs (Activities of Daily living)

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Maybe the Government needs some fixing also......

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

If you go by the image certain people attempts to create here, you would think that many things either remain the same or become worse. For example, electricity. Its somewhat common for people here to imply of the power outages without ever mentioning that in fact they are considerably less than they used to be and most electric circuits are now in the 24 hours program, something that wasn't the case a mere 10 years ago. In the 2003 era and a few years afterwards people weren't talking about power outages, but rather alumbrones because the power circuits were often off for far longer than they were on. That's just one example.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If you go by the inage certain people attempt to create here, you would think that many things either remain the same or become worse. For example, electricity. Its somewhat common for people here to imply of the power outages without ever mentioning that in fact they are considerably less than they used to be and most electric circuits are now in the 24 hours program, something that wasn't the case a mere 10 years ago. In the 2003 era and a few years afterwards people weren't talking about power outages, but rather alumbrones because the power circuits were often off for far longer than they were on. That's just one example.

Constant electricity. Yeah crazy stuff right there.

Soon people will be asking for potable running water and a sewer system ...... Did they think this was 2021, or what ?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you go by the inage certain people attempt to create here, you would think that many things either remain the same or become worse. For example, electricity. Its somewhat common for people here to imply of the power outages without ever mentioning that in fact they are considerably less than they used to be and most electric circuits are now in the 24 hours program, something that wasn't the case a mere 10 years ago. In the 2003 era and a few years afterwards people weren't talking about power outages, but rather alumbrones because the power circuits were often off for far longer than they were on. That's just one example.
Agree. Here in Boca Chica our outages are once or twice a day. 30 minutes is the longest seen when there wasn't something catastrophic. Two days ago there was an accident knocking down 2 power poles on the north east side and here in BC centro we didn't skip a beat. Only reason I knew about it is because I walk that way. We have had power a couple of times for 48 hours straight.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Those who don’t live in the campo have no idea what we deal with every day.
Girl, You can say that again.
My years living on the farm in Puerto Plata were challenging, to say the least.
But every aspect of life there improved enormously after I put in the dedicated transformer with new wiring and poles.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Girl, You can say that again.
My years living on the farm in Puerto Plata were challenging, to say the least.
But every aspect of life there improved enormously after I put in the dedicated transformer with new wiring and poles.

To be fair, electricity has improved enormously over the last 10 years in my campo.
24 hours and hardly ever any blackouts + much more " stable".

But it is 2021, and perhaps I am a spoiled brat in thinking water and electricity should be must-haves in any halfway developed country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It in the WTC will the top floor be dedicated to the Cocaine Clearance Center and the bottom floor to Expediting Remittances?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Constant electricity. Yeah crazy stuff right there.

Soon people will be asking for potable running water and a sewer system ...... Did they think this was 2021, or what ?
At the time of Trujillo running water and sewer systems was widespread in the cities (which were really towns). Most people in this website not just would have had running water, but it would always come out every time a faucet was turn on, always come out in the shower, always was more than enough for flushing the toilet. Better yet, it was such a clean water that it was drinkable coming out of the tap.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
To be fair, electricity has improved enormously over the last 10 years in my campo.
24 hours and hardly ever any blackouts + much more " stable".

But it is 2021, and perhaps I am a spoiled brat in thinking water and electricity should be must-haves in any halfway developed country.
Its also much more common to see campo roads that are paved instead of the dirt roads that they were since the campos were founded, electric lighting and wires along the campo roads that didn't had them which was basically all the campos... Even cement homes are now the norm in many campos when wooden houses was the norm not just in campos but also in the towns as long ago as the 1980's... Rural homes with dirt floors were much more common, sleeping in what was known as a catre instead of an actual bed was the norm,children with blotted stomachs due to malnutrition was the norm in campos and even in many towns, many people have no idea how it was not to long ago...

Even things such as unkept medians on major avenues in places like Santo Domingo was the norm as recent as the 1990's. It wasn't as it is now with many medians having gardens andmany trees/palms, etc. Dusty dirt was more like it. Imagine Santo Domingo today with most medians being like that and yet, not too long ago that was the case.

Last edited:

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
If you go by the image certain people attempts to create here, you would think that many things either remain the same or become worse. For example, electricity. Its somewhat common for people here to imply of the power outages without ever mentioning that in fact they are considerably less than they used to be and most electric circuits are now in the 24 hours program, something that wasn't the case a mere 10 years ago. In the 2003 era and a few years afterwards people weren't talking about power outages, but rather alumbrones because the power circuits were often off for far longer than they were on. That's just one example.

That may only reflect reality at certain parts (privileged areas) of the Grand Santo Domingo, and only certain few. As far as the Capital Barrios; well, the story is totally different. Never mind the towns in the interior of the country. The apagones go as much as 12 hours everyday.

Electricity, or the lack thereof is in fact a huge issue in the DR.

Portraying this fact in any other way possible, it just reflect inconsistency with reality or just perhaps shows the lack of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD