Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Here is an excellent article that I read when it first came out:

We read the same article.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
There's the case of the typical cibaeño, who replaces 'Rs' at the end of syllables with 'I'.
can-taR becomes can-tai; pueR-ta is puei-ta; pueR-co puei-co.

Then they compensate by replacing 'I' with 'R' such as in aceite (aceRte) y peine (peRne).
I've even heard someone say hoR instead of hoy.

The folks in Baní are known for replacing 'Ls' with 'Rs': Cuando saRga eR SoR; saR de la cocina, maRdito.

Yes! All of the above.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I should develop the habit of doing just the same.

Yes, and you wouldn’t be frustrated by the writing quality and intellectual journalism of the BBC. It is a great news source. As well, for anyone learning Spanish and wanting to look at good syntax structure, vocabulary and observe the language from a grammatical perspective, I highly recommend BBC Mundo.

I have my daily newspaper routine and certainly enjoy the BBC in Spanish.

Reactions: Lucifer

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
There's the case of the typical cibaeño, who replaces 'Rs' at the end of syllables with 'I'.
can-taR becomes can-tai; pueR-ta is puei-ta; pueR-co puei-co.

Then they compensate by replacing 'I' with 'R' such as in aceite (aceRte) y peine (peRne).
I've even heard someone say hoR instead of hoy.

The folks in Baní are known for replacing 'Ls' with 'Rs': Cuando saRga eR SoR; saR de la cocina, maRdito.

I know someone from Río San Juan that says hol instead of hoy. He can’t say hoy. I think it’s a regional pronunciation or maybe just him.

Reactions: Lucifer