The Top 10 Things I Like About Living in the DR (The Reason I'm Staying)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but knowing that Adam and Steve MIGHT have an official marriage license could not possibly affect my enjoyment of life in any conceivable way. No couple I know (gay or straight) has ever shown me a marriage license, nor have I asked, nor do I care.

I agree, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of life, but given this nation's history, I can see why the Dominicans would ban it. The DR is extremely macho, and has(for much of its history), been run by strong men(The Caudillo). There is no way a macho society like the DR is going to accept gay marriage. Imagine if you're the Dominican president. If you even think of presenting that legislation you'd be laughed out of Santo Domingo.

Nobody would respect you. And you would more than likely not be elected for another term in office. If a Dominican president proposed gay marriage Dominicans would question his sexuality. If I was the Dominican president I'd ban gay marriage to. The DR may have its problems, but Dominican men are macho to the bone. You have to respect that, I know I do. No group of macho guys wants a gay guy in office, no offense to gays but that is how it is. I find it hilarious that Dominicans have made it a point to ban it entirely.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
A good question would be where does he live, cuz' in this city (SDQ) the only way you could get a cheap electric bill while having the habits of an inhabitant of a first world country is living in a barrio. Over here in the Fernandez urbanization, a lifestyle like that implies bills through the roof and then some.

I'm so thankful I don't live in SDQ. I no longer wish to live in mega cities(with populations over 1 million). I try to avoid living in places with a high population density, so for me SDQ and Santiago are out of the question. When I moved to the DR I decided I was going to live in a small community with a population not more than 100,000.

I'm just getting wary of big cities as I get older. I briefly lived in Los Angeles as a kid and it was an exciting departure from the rural South, but now I like to avoid the big cities. Santo Domingo is just too big for me. I've been there and it was okay for a few days but I prefer a small beach community. Not having a beach also makes Santo Domingo and Santiago unattractive for me.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I refuse to ride on motoconchos because they're dangerous, overpriced, and walking is one of the best exercises you can perform(I walk at least two miles a week here in the DR, I refuse to drive at all).

My walk one way to the beach from my place according to Google maps is 1.3 miles (2.1 kms). I walk there and back most days. I did not really realize that until you made me wonder how much I walk per week. I will not walk to town and back during the night for safety reasons, not much of an option but to take a moto. I have a few moto guys I use exclusively, they are very careful and understand I do not like speed.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I agree, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of life, but given this nation's history, I can see why the Dominicans would ban it. The DR is extremely macho, and has(for much of its history), been run by strong men(The Caudillo). There is no way a macho society like the DR is going to accept gay marriage. Imagine if you're the Dominican president. If you even think of presenting that legislation you'd be laughed out of Santo Domingo.

Nobody would respect you. And you would more than likely not be elected for another term in office. If a Dominican president proposed gay marriage Dominicans would question his sexuality. If I was the Dominican president I'd ban gay marriage to. The DR may have its problems, but Dominican men are macho to the bone. You have to respect that, I know I do. No group of macho guys wants a gay guy in office, no offense to gays but that is how it is. I find it hilarious that Dominicans have made it a point to ban it entirely.

This is really informative. So there are no gay "macho men". and Dominicans are against abortion.
I would bet if you were to open a "family planing clinic" i.e one that offered safe abortions reasonably priced, the line would wrap around the building, every day.
I do agree with you one number, ..... # 1. I do dig the weather

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
I always found the DR to be surprisingly openminded about accepting homosexuality..and about abortion as it has been said before men have no right to judge women on that. Most of the poorer women simply can't afford it and have no other choice then receiving the child and later have to leave it with grandparents/family even if they live far away because they have to work. I have seen it so many times in DR. Is that a good life for a child?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Dominicans are actually protesting this guy, I would be very nervous about starting my post here. Dominicans won't touch the guy because he is a American ambassador, but if it was a regular joe coming here being openly gay he might want to watch his back.

What I don't understand is why any gay person would want to come to the DR in the first place. There are plenty of places in the world that are gay friendly. If you like hiring hookers why travel to North Sudan where the practice is punishable by death, when you can go to Thailand instead? With this ambassador I just see the Americans imposing their value system on a group that doesn't share the same views.

The DR is very homophobic and it?s okay to openly express your dislike to gays, but I don?t think that gay people here should really be afraid about their personal safety. No one will say "Hey, let?s beat up this gay guy" just cause. What will get you in serious trouble is hitting on straight men!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I strongly disagree with you on this too, I don't think men even have the right to speak about abortion.
Good that you wouldn't punk out and not take care of your kid like MANY do!! I respect that!

So if said woman decides to have an abortion the sperm donor should have no say and if she decides to have the baby the sperm donor should have no say either and just start forking out the money? Don't you think men/fathers have rights as well?
Now that you've live here for a while you should realize that the DR isn't really anti-gay and illegal abortions take place multiple times each day. Birth control is also available and used.

May 29, 2006
Dominican culture is changing and not in general for the better. I blame it on TV, movies and relatives living abroad who come back. I used to hear from other ex-pats that Dominicans have a concept of "enough." If they have a house, food and healthy kids, everything else is gravy, or as one Dominican once told me. "Every day my children go to bed with full stomachs is a good day. Everything else is a gift from God." You don't hear that of statement so much anymore, esp in the cities. Dominicans are buying into the game where more stuff equals more status, more contentment, and taking care of your own and extended family is becoming less of a priority.

So number one on my list would be that Dominicans are among the most content people that I've met, but that seems to be less true each time I come back to the island. Simplicity of life and being on the treadmill where more is never enough are not a good match.

I saw it happen in the Pacific Islands. They had been content for decades and then when they got VCRs, they saw the idealized material wealth of the US. When that happened, they started to value "stuff" more than relationships. Once the kids started wearing $100 sneakers instead of the $3 zoris, the battle was lost. I saw the cartoon here the other day that is unfortunately becoming more and more true each day:

1488293_10202394925091962_1684035169_n.jpg

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I am just thinking it is a strange number 9 and number 10 on your list. Unless you are a woman you cannot even have the need for an abortion. As far as gays go, really? That made your list? By the way, I am pretty sure there are a lot of gays here. Miesposa points them out to me all the time.

I think the mountains, or water falls, or colmado deliveries would replace 9 and 10 of your list. In fact i could probably come up with a list of a 1000 things i like and abortions and gays would still not be on the list. However to each his own and i am happy your happy to be here. I am too.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
AC for the bedroom every night set at 22 degrees, water heater run for an hour every morning. Under 3000 pesos. Was hoping to keep it lower but....my house in florida with pool and jacuzzi the electric was $350 to $450 every month. That cover rent AND the electric. And i have nice place 3 bedrooms plus the maids closet, i mean quarters.

But when i had a place juan dolio the bill there was outrageous. Over 12000 pesos. I guess the trick is to stay out of the urbanizations and residencias and live on an avenida principal. Then u get consistent yet reasonably priced energy. I dont really care to have inversors and batteries unless i was interested going off the grid.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
The lack of healthcare in the US, is one of the big reasons that the USA never gets rated as one of the top countries to live in.
Get in a car accident and lose your house. No thanks. Also too many guns, more guns than people. No thanks. Too many hurricanes and tornados as well. Many do not have "wind" insurance coverage so, lose your house. No thanks.
Eat broccoli everyday and walk a mile everyday.

Wind insurance?? I am pretty sure a homeowner policy in the states covers wind, i know it cover tornados and hurricanes. In fact the only exemption i know of is flood insurance. But you can obtain that seperately from the govt. There is no lack of healthcare in the states. Its just very expensive. Whole lot reasons for that. Unlimited liabilty on doctors and hospitals is one part. Hell if i was a hospital i would want to do background on people before i accepted them as patients. People taking advantage of "employer paid" insurance. Little known secret in america is the insurance ur employer pays for is deducted from what they would have paid you. And even though ur employer can deduct the premiums from their taxes you as an individual cannot. You can thank Eisenhour(sp) and wage controls. Having said all that if you need a life saving heart or kidney transplant you dont want that done here you are going to want to return to the good ole us of a.

I love brocolli. Didnt know it was a superfood. I dont even know what a superfood is. Are New York strips a superfood too?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012

But you also know that in general these people are very ignorant, narrow minded and largely undereducated. You cant look at the president and expect personal opinion, that is not his job. I find dominicans pretty uncaring of what others do with thier private time. And they are all? sheep h?re, very few shepherds amongst this bunch, they will fall un l?ne once the rest have, macho or not. But admiring and respecting macho sheep is odd, but glad you found a place to fit in.

I dont think all? are anti abortion either, the mass duminicans will put having children above considering caring form them. I truely belive that it must be en individuales choice and not dictated by others, 12 year old children should not be having their fathers and brothers children. As much as a drunken pone night stand should not stand un the way of anyone livkng thier lives. Abortion es a sad but good thing, without it many more peoples lives would be destroyed.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
There is no such thing as free healthcare. Detroit is a cesspool thanks to 50 years of unions that crippled the automakers. I was fixing cars at the auction just outside the one of the ford plants in detroit. Hanging out at the local bar "bonos" i believe, i met worker there that was making $25 per hour plus beni's for taking a small sheet of metal and placing it in a press. And we wonder why a chevy 2500 xd cost $65,000. Arriba toyota and hyundai.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Home Insurance Coverage: Homeowners Insurance Coverage - Progressive

I should have typed "free" healthcare.
It is why Norway, Sweden, Canada and Australia are always at the top and America sits below around 16th.
Google Detroit, it is shocking!

Every country has a "Detroit" are you saying the Dominican Republic does not have a Detroit???

Seriously I mean seriously how many people around the globe will pack up and move to Sweden or Norway????

It is amazing how many times the city of Detroit comes up on DR1, but Beverly Hills NEVER does LOL!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wind insurance?? I am pretty sure a homeowner policy in the states covers wind, i know it cover tornados and hurricanes. In fact the only exemption i know of is flood insurance. But you can obtain that seperately from the govt. There is no lack of healthcare in the states. Its just very expensive. Whole lot reasons for that. Unlimited liabilty on doctors and hospitals is one part. Hell if i was a hospital i would want to do background on people before i accepted them as patients. People taking advantage of "employer paid" insurance. Little known secret in america is the insurance ur employer pays for is deducted from what they would have paid you. And even though ur employer can deduct the premiums from their taxes you as an individual cannot. You can thank Eisenhour(sp) and wage controls. Having said all that if you need a life saving heart or kidney transplant you dont want that done here you are going to want to return to the good ole us of a.

I love brocolli. Didnt know it was a superfood. I dont even know what a superfood is. Are New York strips a superfood too?

ken, some homeowner policies do not cover wind damage. it depends where you live. if the exposure is high, you have to buy a special endorsement.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
Please take your idiotic posts to another board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.