The Top 10 Things I Like About Living in the DR (The Reason I'm Staying)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
There are a lot of negative things said about the DR, but I wanted to start a thread talking about the ten things I like the most about the DR, and the reason I've decided to remain after living here just over a year. Below are the top ten things that make me want to stay in the DR:

1. Warm weather all year round
2. Low rental costs
3. Low healthcare costs
3. No serious penalty against non-residents who overstay their tourist visa
4. The ability to move up the social ladder
5. The ability to blend in (more so than the USA)
6. The ability to own property as a non-resident
7. The ability to avoid property taxes on certain property
8. Simple lifestyle
9. The Women (to some extent)
10. The DR is Anti-Abortion and Anti-Gay Marriage

You guys will notice I put women near the bottom of the list, along with the views on abortion and gay marriage. I share the same views towards gay marriage and abortion as do most Dominicans, and the issue of women is complicated. But overall these are the top ten reasons I've decided to stay in the DR rather than returning to the USA.

DS I can give you around 20 countries off the top of my head that fit the bill for this entire list. Lets go with 1 and 8 you can find these same two qualities about a city in Salvador Brazil.

What does the DR offer you that you can't find in Brazil, Mexico, Panama, Spain, Costa Rica, because a lot of what you posted many people say the same thing about their new country.

I remember some of your posts in the past and if I can recall you are not wealthy but you have nice nest egg you are sitting on, and living in DR does not make a lot of sense when I read your posts. You are the one who is going to create the "perfect son" right??? I would think a country like Spain would be more to your liking and they have decent weather all year round which is your number 1 reason for living in DR.

BTW If you are a SINGLE man in your early 30's healthcare should not even make your list IMO and the 2nd number 3 about tourists overstaying their visa is NOT a good thing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "Non Thread" Started By A Sad Man.

I see his "Meds" ran out AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His "World" is just a figment of his deluded imagination.
His commentary about life in the DR has no bearing on how the rest of us live in this country.
The "Thousand Pound Chip" he carries around makes living a more normal existence impossible for him.
I wish him happiness, and peace in the new year.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Smart, did you ever consider that possibly nobody else commented about "Fat Americanos", because this is "DR1", and how much "exercise" they do, or how fat they are, has no importance here???????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DS I can give you around 20 countries off the top of my head that fit the bill for this entire list. Lets go with 1 and 8 you can find these same two qualities about a city in Salvador Brazil.

What does the DR offer you that you can't find in Brazil, Mexico, Panama, Spain, Costa Rica, because a lot of what you posted many people say the same thing about their new country.

I remember some of your posts in the past and if I can recall you are not wealthy but you have nice nest egg you are sitting on, and living in DR does not make a lot of sense when I read your posts. You are the one who is going to create the "perfect son" right??? I would think a country like Spain would be more to your liking and they have decent weather all year round which is your number 1 reason for living in DR.

BTW If you are a SINGLE man in your early 30's healthcare should not even make your list IMO and the 2nd number 3 about tourists overstaying their visa is NOT a good thing.

why should health care not make the list? you mean 30 year old people do not have health issues, ever? so what if the guy is hit by some looney motoconcho, and has to be hospitalized for a protracted period of time? just go to the public hospital?

have you ever incurred medical expenses in the DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The racist and religious comments need to be dropped right now.
Mods, if you see anymore, PM the username and I will erase their account, regardless of the poster.

Don't say you haven't been warned.... Carry on :)

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I like the friendly people here and the handful of lifelong friends I've made along the way so I continue to visit. My family on the other hand questions my sanity as several of them moved here from the NE US and hated it. Even the ones that were born here choose not to visit. They've all returned to live in warm places like Texas or Florida even Mexico and couldn't be happier.

So you see, it is different for every person. I personally never experienced the issues the OP mentioned but then again I've lived in large, culturally diverse cities. I now live in Georgia and I can see a bit of where he is coming from but with all the transplants here the city has taken a whole new turn on diversity. It's not the same South anymore.

I'm glad you are enjoying the DR though.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I'm in my early 30s. I was raised in the Southern USA(aka the Bible Belt). I'm not Christian but I was raised my them and some things stick with you. This is why I'm generally anti-abortion and anti gay marriage. This is not to say I'm a nice guy because I'm not(I do many things both Christians and my family would disapprove of). But ending the life of a baby is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly.

Anyway, I feel very comfortable here in the DR, more comfortable than in the USA. I'm somewhat jealous of Dominicans because they have a large island to themselves and unlike African Americans unity comes to them naturally (a result of living on an island surrounded by water). I will always be an outsider because I wasn't born here but when my children are born here they will be accepted as Dominican and will get the chance I never had, to grow up in a country where they feel a true national identity, where they can be a part of the majority as opposed to being an oppressed minority.

DS I read this post 5 times and still can't believe how out of touch you are, and you seem so profound in some of your other posts and threads.

1. You think majority of Dominicans have unity because of water that surrounds them??? Who are more afraid of "home invasions" Dominicans in DR or AA in USA?? Dominicans are no more unity then anyone else.

2. You also believed many Dominicans are not oppressed??? Why do you think there are hardly any men from Spain looking for a woman in DR like many Canadians and Americans??? What will be said if a man flew to DR and then returned to Madrid with a new bride?? If Dominicans are not oppressed by Spain I don't know who is.

3. You want your children to be accepted as Dominicans and not accepted for who they are???? You talk as if you want your children to grow up being Dominican like some parents want their kids to be doctors or lawyers.

4. I know many Dominicans here that was NOT born in DR and we have never had a discussion about people on the island not accepting them. You are an outsider not because of where you were born, but the fact you are NOT Dominican.

Lastly I have a daughter that is part Mexican, Puerto Rican and African American and do you think she sits around and think to herself "wow I do not have a true identity" Children do not think this way ever, they just don't. If you and you future Dominican wife picked up and move to Montana your children will be pretty much the same people, but their surroundings will be different.

Your parents NEVER taught you do not let your environment define the person you are or want to be????? If you think you future kids will be "better" people because they were born and raised in DR I will not tell you different.

You are making your life too complicated and you children are not even here yet.

May 29, 2006
One thing that many gripe about including myself, is the food. But eating healthy is one more benefit of the DR and in general, the more healthy the food, the cheaper it is. Red meat isn't as available as it is in the US and there isn't High Fructose Corn Syrup in EVERYTHING. No, you don't have a full isle of microwaveable frozen dinners, and you usually have to actually cook your meals, but the lack of "eating while bored" makes it easier to stay fit.

Like many other countries outside of the US, you can get by without needing a car. If you have a family or business, it becomes more important, but it's not the necessity that it is in the US. Going a mile or two? Flag down a moto. Going to the next town over? Take the Guagua. Need to go farther? Take the bus. It's not up to the mass transit I was able to use in Japan, but it's also quite cheap.

As a foreigner, people in general are more friendly too you. I think this is the case for most countries. You're interesting because your history is so different from a Dominican's. The reverse is also true in that someone who has a humble life in the DR is more interesting than someone who has the same job as in the US. Of course, the downside is that as a foreigner you also get noticed more by the bad guys. There is a newness of living abroad that makes daily life more interesting. It wears off after a while, but it's nice to enjoy while it lasts.

The DR is also close to the US. It's accessible. A RT flight is under 5 hours from NYC(and just a hop from Miami) and it's easily the best option compared to Jamaica, the Bahamas or other islands. You don't have to deal with Jet Lag. The hardest part for me to get to the DR isn't the flight, but getting the 250 miles to Newark Airport. Shipping barrels or a container of personal items just isn't that big of a deal when you make the big leap to live there.

It's still growing. It has its blips in the economy and they rely too much on tourism, but there is a lot going on in becoming self sufficient on more commodities each year and money comes in not just from tourists, but from the Dominican diaspora. Sugar is fading out as the core of the economy for higher value exports and a more diverse economy. It was a bumpy ride for about 20 years, but the future still looks good for the DR. As its accessibility to American goods increases and the infrastructure improves, it will continue to be a bigger draw for retiring Baby Boomers. 20 years ago, retiring in the DR wasn't for the meek, and now it's competing with Florida and other geriatric Meccas(esp for Canadians). The future as a service economy is good. Expect more and more AIs and small hotels to be converted into condos and residencias. A typical Ex-pat is living on what? $2000/month? More? It all adds up for the local economies. Still plenty of construction work and the quality continues to approach US standards. The tradesmen still have a bit more catch-up to do. The middle class is growing in the DR, unlike the US.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-​mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.
~Mark Twain

There's still hope for DS...

Last edited:

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
off topic - removed. Do it again and you'll have a Christmas holiday

Last edited by a moderator:
May 29, 2006
Exactly. This whole thing with the American ambassador reeks of colonialism. The guy could have kept his sexuality to himself, yet he rubs it in the faces of Dominicans. This is where I have a problem with it.

Oh please. It's not like he's going to be going to functions in boas and high heels or in a pink tux. He has a job to do and he'll do it. Have you ever met an ambassador? I have. It's a dull job with good perks, but it's mostly match-making industries to expand trade. Let's go visit a garment factory for WalMart. That kind of thing. I very much doubt he'll be in a Dominican Gay Pride parade. Colonialism?? Give me a break. That's what the DR was when it was a sugar based economy and we had Trujillo running the show.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
While I tend to avoid generalizations such as Dominicans are... one thing is universally true. Dominicans always know when a person is not Dominican. Even before you open your mouth to speak Dominicans know that you are a Gringo based on your dress, gait and body movement.

I read your thread about parenting. It frightened me that someone so obviously intelligent could be so ignorant about the nurturing of a child. your comments about abortion scream of eugenics. Healthy babies no. Unhealthy yes. Wow. So where do you draw the line? intellectual disability, such as down's syndrome? Cystic Fibrosis? club foot, cleft palate? Who makes the cut?

Dude, how can gay marriage make the list here? Really, you care that much that it is in a top ten list? You seem obsessed on the topic. Anyway, what is today won't be tomorrow. Spain, a "macho" country (whatever that means) was among the first in the world to officially recognize gay relationships. Mexico city embraces it. Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay too. I guess they are not macho enough for you. The world is changing fast on this topic. It amazes me how fast. catch up. It has been a challenge for me to keep up, so I appreciate it when someone is not yet there on a topic. Our President wasn't a homophobe one day before he made his announcement updating his view of traditional marriage. And he wasn't a flamer the day after.

Keeping it DR related...I imagine that a Dominican Father wouldn't be pleased to learn his son is gay. Being effeminate is more of a challenge due to a macho mentality. but eventually, families learn to accept and love. If you come from a large family then you have a cousin somewhere who is gay or at the least on the DL. Once you find that perfect docile woman and create that perfect straight son you will learn that the best laid plans go awry.

Someone did you right as a child. Someone bestowed on you a strong sense of self confidence. I have tasted more than my fair share of humble pie. Have you ever eaten a slice?

Sad about wanting to dodge taxes. Why do you think we have clean water and 24 hour lights in the US? An ambulance that shows up take you to the ER? Libraries? Well paid police officers so that corruption is an aberrance? Taxes!

BTW, macho is just a code word for socially acceptable misogyny.

Last edited by a moderator:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
black Americans

You are painting with rather a broad brush, don't you think?

The reason I said that is because in the USA Africans Americans are on the very bottom of American society. Here in the DR, that position is occupied by Haitians, so any Aframs moving to the DR cannot possibly fill a rung which is already occupied. Aframs living in the DR are certainly not at the top of the pyramid, but they are much better off than they would be in the USA.

You also mentioned being Black. How is that defined in the DR? Would an African American as light as Beyonce, Will Smith, or Ludacris be considered "Black" in the DR, given they are lighter than many Dominicans? Or do you need to be jet Black like Wesley Snipes to qualify as Black? Its an interesting question that I've thought about. I have to say, I feel much better living in the DR than as an Afram in the USA. In the USA African Americans have to worry about threats from both other African Americans AND Whites, there are some neighborhoods in the USA where African Americans kill each other for nothing, as an African American I would never set foot in Detroit or certain areas of Chicago, as I'm at a greater risk of being harmed by another African American. Here in the DR Dominicans leave you alone.

My experience with Dominicans is that they've been friendly towards me. I can't speak for other Aframs but that has been my experience. I feel MUCH safer around Dominicans than other African Americans. In the USA I stayed away from African American nightclubs and neighborhoods because there is too much violence and I grew up in ghettos with African Americans and there is toomuch static with African Americans. When dealing with them especially in the inner city you have to watch your back. African Americans living in the USA have very little unity or group loyalty.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
If you think there is antipathy toward the LGBT community in the Dominican Republic, how do you characterize these events in Jamaica:

- Jamaica tourist board routinely turned away cruise ships and tour operators catering to a gay clientele during the 1990s
- multiple incidents of extreme violence directed at openly gay Jamaicans (e.g. lynchings)

My point is the Dominican Republic is way behind Jamaica (and more recently Russia) along the intolerance spectrum. For example, it will be a long time if ever before a program with hosts like those on "los due?os del circo" is broadcast in Jamaica or Russia. There have been gay pride events in Santo Domingo.

Number 10 is always going to be a controversial subject. Personally, I have no hatred against gay people per se. I certainly don't seek to hang out with them, but I also don't want to kill them. At the same time, I thought it was disrespectful for the USA to send an openly gay ambassador to the Dom Rep when they knew how Dominicans felt about it.

The USA could have sent someone else, but they send this guy here in blatant disregard of Dominican views on the subject. I have no problem with people wanting to live their life as they choose, but imposing your values on someone else is messed up. Plus, if I was the ambassador I wouldn't want to be assigned here anyway, why come to a country where the people will be hostile toward your way of life?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The GAY and anything that resembles a COLOR post of any type in this thread ends here.

Please, someone make my day :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The weather is great
The ladies, mostly, are beautiful. I LOVE WATCHING THEM WALK , THEY HAVE A RYTHM
People in general are friendly and helpful, even though they give lousy directions.
Beer is relatively inexpensive
Flowers are everywhere

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The weather is great
The ladies, mostly, are beautiful. I LOVE WATCHING THEM WALK , THEY HAVE A RYTHM
People in general are friendly and helpful, even though they give lousy directions.
Beer is relatively inexpensive
Flowers are everywhere

I'm trying to remember what we paid for a 6 pack of Presidente at La Sirena in SD/SC, I'm pretty sure it was about 240 pesos. Like $6/US. Not cheap in my book, especially for Dominicans. We only pay a few cents more here in NJ for it, I think it was $6.49 last week. Something wrong, in my opinion. It has to be shipped here, and the store here has a markup/profit, and it's about the same cost as in DR? Thinking it's too high in DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.