The Top 10 Things I Like About Living in the DR (The Reason I'm Staying)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Presidentes taste much better in DR, lol.

Perhaps the price differential is based on taxes?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
directions

"They give lousy directions," Oh that is so true. It's laughable really, especially when a taxista pretends to know the way.

The weather is great
The ladies, mostly, are beautiful. I LOVE WATCHING THEM WALK , THEY HAVE A RYTHM
People in general are friendly and helpful, even though they give lousy directions.
Beer is relatively inexpensive
Flowers are everywhere

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The weather is great
The ladies, mostly, are beautiful. I LOVE WATCHING THEM WALK , THEY HAVE A RYTHM
People in general are friendly and helpful, even though they give lousy directions.
Beer is relatively inexpensive
Flowers are everywhere

beer is relatively inexpensive? relative to where?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Presidentes taste much better in DR, lol.

Perhaps the price differential is based on taxes?

They do, I agree. Maybe a different alcohol content there? Or maybe fresher. Or maybe COLDER. They do know how to serve a beer in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm trying to remember what we paid for a 6 pack of Presidente at La Sirena in SD/SC, I'm pretty sure it was about 240 pesos. Like $6/US. Not cheap in my book, especially for Dominicans. We only pay a few cents more here in NJ for it, I think it was $6.49 last week. Something wrong, in my opinion. It has to be shipped here, and the store here has a markup/profit, and it's about the same cost as in DR? Thinking it's too high in DR.

I never buy a case only one or two at a time and I drink Bohemia most of the time. 70 pesos for a large and 90 for a jumbo. That's less than two dollars for a large beer. In a restaurant it 100 pesos for a small. I am buying a case of 24 large at Christmas and it will cost 1550 pesos or 65 per bottle or $ 1.50 per bottle.
Another I like is I can be having a beer with my friend Beba on the street and I can ask any of the neighbourhood kids to go get me a couple of fresh ones and it's done right away and with a smile. Usually good for a Fresca or ice-cream for them anyways, but they'd do it for nothing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Peter" the "Diet" YOU chose to eat in the DR may be "health", but not the "Diet" the average Dominican eats daily.
When foreigners ask me about the typical Dominican diet, I tell them it consists of Fat,Salt, Sugar, and refined carbohydrates!
"Hey Man", They fry Cheese Here!!!!
"Salami"???....."WTF", it's just some pig fat, salt, and "flour"!
You don't even need to refrigerate the stuff!???????
"Pan de Agua", worthless, from a nutritional standpoint!
Fruit juices "Start Out" just great, THEN they add a few cups of sugar,some "Leche Carnation", and it's NOT!!!
There are good choices here for a very healthy diet, Dominicans just don't make them!!!!
AND, Neither Do I"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 12, 2005
I see a lot of folks attacking the OP for his list. Not everybody has the same reasons or likes about living in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Peter" the "Diet" YOU chose to eat in the DR may be "health", but not the "Diet" the average Dominican eats daily.
When foreigners ask me about the typical Dominican diet, I tell them it consists of Fat,Salt, Sugar, and refined carbohydrates!
"Hey Man", They fry Cheese Here!!!!
"Salami"???....."WTF", it's just some pig fat, salt, and "flour"!
You don't even need to refrigerate the stuff!???????
"Pan de Agua", worthless, from a nutritional standpoint!
Fruit juices "Start Out" just great, THEN they add a few cups of sugar,some "Leche Carnation", and it's NOT!!!
There are good choices here for a very healthy diet, Dominicans just don't make them!!!!
AND, Neither Do I"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Very true, out of 700 kids at the school there are maybe a half dozen that have a healthy lunch. Breakfast is worse.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that if these points are the reason for some foreigner to decide he likes the DR , then I doubt if many Dominicans would be too unhappy if he decided to return to the USA

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Dominicans have a long ways to catch up to the average American BMI. My point was more that I eat healthier in the DR than in the US. Whether the *typical* Dominican diet is healthier or worse than the American diet is an issue that is up for debate, even with the fried foods and delicious papaya milkshakes(not regularly available in the US). I always found a batida de lechosa was the cure all for over-indulging the night before. It's loaded with electrolytes and the papaya has dietary fiber in it. Something the American diet is sorely lacking these days~ not enough fiber, and WAY too much fructose.

I avoid most corn syrup in my diet in the US, but it's the cost of produce vs meat and processed foods that's a challenge. I've found the best rule of thumb is if it's in red and yellow packaging, the odds are I shouldn't buy it. I love all these foods, but healthy? Not so much. This is what I get bombarded with every time I go shopping:

396834_3040413566843_440324751_n.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I like EVERYTHING pictured "above"!!!!
They have HUGE bags of "Bugles" at supermercado National this month!
The "Papaya Smoothie" would be great , without all the sugar and "Leche Carnation".
Just eat some fresh Papaya and you'll be much better off.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I see a lot of folks attacking the OP for his list. Not everybody has the same reasons or likes about living in DR.

Attacking? I read people asking OP to expand and explain his no. 10. some people offered counter points to his points. It was the OP himself who made derogatory statements about an ethnic group in the US and comparing his experience in the DR.

I am interested in conversing with people who have a different outlook than I do. That is how I learn.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
addendum: I wasn't able to read the deleted posts. Perhaps you did and that is why you came to your conclusion regarding attacks.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Dominicans have a long ways to catch up to the average American BMI. My point was more that I eat healthier in the DR than in the US. Whether the *typical* Dominican diet is healthier or worse than the American diet is an issue that is up for debate, even with the fried foods and delicious papaya milkshakes(not regularly available in the US). I always found a batida de lechosa was the cure all for over-indulging the night before. It's loaded with electrolytes and the papaya has dietary fiber in it. Something the American diet is sorely lacking these days~ not enough fiber, and WAY too much fructose.

I avoid most corn syrup in my diet in the US, but it's the cost of produce vs meat and processed foods that's a challenge. I've found the best rule of thumb is if it's in red and yellow packaging, the odds are I shouldn't buy it. I love all these foods, but healthy? Not so much. This is what I get bombarded with every time I go shopping:

396834_3040413566843_440324751_n.jpg

I avoid HF corn syrup for taste reasons. Sugar is sugar, metabolically. But beet sugar, cane sugar and HF corn syrup have different taste profiles. HFCS makes everything taste like a damn tortilla chip.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread has gone as far as it can without people ending up banned, putting my wooden spoon and chancleta away and saying adios.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.