The village where boys are born as girls

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im not sure how this could happen as one goes in and one comes out - maybe the clitoris just grows bigger than normal, I dont think a vagina would suddenly turn inside out ,presumably they end up with both which isnt what the article is trying to tell us

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Could it be the tap water?
Just another reason to DRINK (less water) MORE BEER.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
fyi,,,it is quiet but their happens to be alot of peeps with gender problems only u dont know it...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The village where boys are born as girls: Genetic deformity means Dominican Republic babies are born apparently female and only grow male sex organs at puberty
Around one in 90 babies born in Salinas have the remarkable condition
Due to lack of dihydro-testosterone in womb because of missing enzyme
Transition is so common children are called Guevedoces, or 'penis at 12'
Many children keep their female names but say they never felt like girls
By LYDIA WILLGRESS FOR MAILONLINE

Babies born apparently female in a tiny village in the Dominican Republic are turning into men at puberty due to a genetic deformity.

Around two per cent - or one in 90 - babies from Salinas are thought to be born with the condition, which occurs due to a missing enzyme during pregnancy.

The transition is so common the children are referred to as Guevedoces, or 'penis at 12 years'.

Babies born apparently female in Salinas, Dominican Republic, are turning into men at puberty due to a genetic deformity. Above, Catherine and his cousin Carla, who is currently undergoing the transition

Johnny is one of the babies affected and was initially brought up as a girl named Felicity by his parents.

The 24-year-old said doctors didn't originally know what sex he was but he always felt more like a boy, according to the BBC.

He said: 'I went to school and I used to wear my skirt. I never liked to dress as a girl.

'When they bought me girls' toys I never bothered playing with them - when I saw a group of boys I would stop to play ball with them.'

Another boy, named Carla, said he is also going through the same transition aged nine after appearing to be born a girl.

Pictures show Carla, who will change his name to Carlos, wearing a pink patterned top with his hair in bunches as he smiles alongside his cousin Catherine.

The condition was first discovered in the 1970s after a scientist from Cornell visited the island.

Babies usually form male sex organs after around eight weeks in the womb, with the change triggered by hormone dihydro-testosterone.

Around two per cent - or one in 90 - babies from Salinas, marked above on the map, are thought to be born with the condition, which occurs due to a missing enzyme during pregnancy

But a handful of babies do not have the enzyme that triggers the hormone surge and consequently appear to be born female.

They will not form male genitalia until they reach puberty, when there is another surge of testosterone.

Some experts have suggested there is such a high concentration of children affected in Salinas due to the village's isolation.

The extraordinary condition will be explored by Dr Michael Mosley on BBC Two's Countdown to Life - The Extraordinary Making of You tomorrow night.

According to the BBC's website, the programme 'explores how this remarkable human diversity is so crucial to our species, but [also shows] that these complex processes can occasionally go wrong'.

Countdown to Life - The Extraordinary Making Of You is on tomorrow at 9pm on BBC Two

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-male-sex-organs-puberty.html#ixzz3mGhp2ODi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I have made this observation before, but what is wrong with an author who has to repeat the same thing 3 or 4 times in an article less than a page long? I mostly notice it in political articles, but this writer has the same problem. Is he writing for 3rd graders?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8 said:
diario libre picked up this subject again:
Well written article that makes some interesting points.

I have made this observation before, but what is wrong with an author who has to repeat the same thing 3 or 4 times in an article less than a page long? I mostly notice it in political articles, but this writer has the same problem. Is he writing for 3rd graders?

No, for Daily Fail readers, who are closer to anaesthetised amoebas, intellectually speaking.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
No. Most Daily Mail readers do not make it pass 2nd grade.

I like how you refer to Lydia Willgress as "he". Very much in the spirit of the topic.

If her name wasn't put in there at least 3 times how was I supposed to catch it?

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
My psychology professor once told me that DR had one of the highest rates of hermaphrodite in the world, I did not want to believe her at the time.

My two cents....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
maybe men in that village should refrain from inseminating their sisters. or their brothers? either way, this is too much inbreeding.

I feel the same way about the Dominicans here in Santiago trying to preserve their precious white skin.
Too many of them have heads that don?t fit their bodies.

Aug 6, 2006
Too many of them have heads that don?t fit their bodies.

===================================================
An interesting comment, but perhaps more detail would be useful,