The W Cabarete

Big

Apr 24, 2019
while salt water is much more forgiving to the ill effects of contamination I would not swim in that river in Cab east unless I was up to date on all my shots

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
From the website it looks like a great property

I wonder if it's still a go after corona?
The website shows a nice design, but it's not the architects who win this war.
The concept behind and the build up of a customer base will make or break it.

Windsurf is a strong point there, but it is not as easy as a bicycle, and a rather challenging way of surfing and you need a dedicated tourist for that. Will there a be enough? All year round? Will the airlines discover POP? What is the offer for bad weather?

Wave surf is easier and has more popular following, but that's in Encuentro and competition is already busy there.

Sep 22, 2009
The website shows a nice design, but it's not the architects who win this war.
The concept behind and the build up of a customer base will make or break it.

Windsurf is a strong point there, but it is not as easy as a bicycle, and a rather challenging way of surfing and you need a dedicated tourist for that. Will there a be enough? All year round? Will the airlines discover POP? What is the offer for bad weather?

Wave surf is easier and has more popular following, but that's in Encuentro and competition is already busy there.
Then again, it's how they will market this. It doesn't look like a surf shack vegan arepa demographic. I guess like Amanera in RSJ, they bring in a special market

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
I've windsurfed/kited in Cabarete for 30+ years and although the water is not super clear I never felt I got sick from it. I assume there is some pollution but is it really worse than beaches near US cities? Is there ever any testing to quantify the pollution?
Agree. The water is clean in the ocean, but most people here refer to beaches, beach paths, rivers, sewage and dumps of all kind.

Sep 22, 2009
Agree. The water is clean in the ocean, but most people here refer to beaches, beach paths, rivers, sewage and dumps of all kind.
Actually Cabarete bay is not clean. For years there was garbage and sewage dumped. I do think, however, with the emergency states, the waters have had a chance to clear up. The damage to the aquatic ecosystem though, will have long term ramifications.

Also the rivers, since many of them empty into the ocean?

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Actually Cabarete bay is not clean. For years there was garbage and sewage dumped. I do think, however, with the emergency states, the waters have had a chance to clear up. The damage to the aquatic ecosystem though, will have long term ramifications.

Sorry, maybe you are right as I was refering to the Encuentro beach, where I guarantee very clean water.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Surely this day in age, testing water isn't that complicated. I stopped swimming several years ago when my wet bathing suit failed the sniff test on the way back to my condo. Kept checking my fuzzy flip flops for dog crap until realizing the bathing suit was the culprit.

Reactions: JD Jones
Sep 22, 2009
Surely this day in age, testing water isn't that complicated. I stopped swimming several years ago when my wet bathing suit failed the sniff test on the way back to my condo. Kept checking my fuzzy flip flops for dog crap until realizing the bathing suit was the culprit.
So Nasty, like Romeo says

Sep 22, 2009
"W" is a small high-end hotel chain owned by Marriott
A wonderful spot, the W on Lexington UES where we used to chill in the lounge and great sushi. I think if they could bring that clientele down here that would be the goal

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
"W" is a small high-end hotel chain owned by Marriott
Marriott and Hilton (and their underlying brands) are likely the largest chains based in the USA. Both have largely not penetrated the Caribbean much. Both likely have the bulk of their income as business related travel and are very active with rewards points to discount room costs. My guess is that they will get most of their bookings from this W on the North Coast from existing customers. When I had a lot of Marriott rewards points, years ago, I cashed them in for a vacation at the Marriott Beach resort in Grand Cayman. It was that or something in Lauderdale/Miami/Key West.

Reactions: Big
Sep 22, 2009

Wouldn't the lack of tourists and activity improve the water quality in the bay?
I think so, hopefully so. See up

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Wouldn't the lack of tourists and activity improve the water quality in the bay?
Only as far as there is less sewage. For other contamination take a simple test: look at a piece of garbage and try to guess: would it have been thrown by a tourist?

Sep 22, 2009
Only as far as there is less sewage. For other contamination take a simple test: look at a piece of garbage and try to guess: would it have been thrown by a tourist?
Also depends if a "municipality" is dumping sewage into the ocean still. That doesn't change just because the surfs up bruh crowd stayed home for 3 months

Reactions: CaribeDigital

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
The resort owners are trying hard to hide the dominican reality from the visitors.
There is also no private room sector, like in Cuba, where tourists can stay in the same house or apartment with the hosts and chat with them ofer a cup of cafecito.
Due to the spread of social media the hiding of ecological disaster will be more difficult each day:
HOY_0014038678-696x462.jpg

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Marriott and Hilton (and their underlying brands) are likely the largest chains based in the USA. Both have largely not penetrated the Caribbean much. Both likely have the bulk of their income as business related travel and are very active with rewards points to discount room costs. My guess is that they will get most of their bookings from this W on the North Coast from existing customers. When I had a lot of Marriott rewards points, years ago, I cashed them in for a vacation at the Marriott Beach resort in Grand Cayman. It was that or something in Lauderdale/Miami/Key West.
You have good taste, Marriot has always been the go to spots for business travel

Reactions: KyleMackey