THE way to solve your computer problems - expat of the month award

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Didn't want to start new thread

Is it possible to find a person at Santo Domingo who knows how to deal with MAC problems?

The problem is that airport at laptop MAC seems to be having some difficulties to connect...and with standart advices that gives MAC advisor I can not solve anything.
Laptop with windows connects to the same network easily.

Thanx :)

Take it to Mike Benson (American), he's one of the official mac dealers and repair centers here. I think SD has 3-4 in total.

Compusistemas in Santo Domingo.
Benito Mencion 103, Gazcue.
(809) 686-4316
(809) 686-4292

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I find it interesting and puzzling why there has been no mention of Linux in this thread. There are no problems with viruses, trojans and what have you with Linux and unlike Windoz or MAC its free!!

May 29, 2006
The age-old battle continues:

2005-11-11--Dilbert_Unix.jpg

Ana_La_Vida

Nov 13, 2010
Take it to Mike Benson (American), he's one of the official mac dealers and repair centers here. I think SD has 3-4 in total.

Compusistemas in Santo Domingo.
Benito Mencion 103, Gazcue.
(809) 686-4316
(809) 686-4292

Thank you very much! :D
Vamos a ver :cheeky:

Ana_La_Vida

Nov 13, 2010
oh man...i guess i have a curse..computer curse =(

now my laptop ASUS said goodbye to me, it just won't start, NOTHING =((((
I can not go to Sosua...

Is anbody here (Santo Domingo) knows a good person who REALY knows what to do with PC, laptops?

and has anyone used servises of laptoprd.com?

Thanx :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
using a pc is about as easy as reading that post. from a 20 yr. mac user, fan, and near expert, (I use PC's too... unfortunately). if it wasn't for mac and the fact that microsoft got away with stealing the concept of the "windows" format for a user interface, the only people using PC's would be... ummm... wait... NOBODY would be using pc's. LOL That's not to say I think Macs, or Apple is perfect... far from it... and don't get ME started on Mobile me... I use it, and it sucks. But for reliability, ease of use, intuitive logic... you CAN'T beat a Mac. And as for the software availability argument, that went out the door in the mid '90's if not before.

May 5, 2007
using a pc is about as easy as reading that post. from a 20 yr. mac user, fan, and near expert, (I use PC's too... unfortunately). if it wasn't for mac and the fact that microsoft got away with stealing the concept of the "windows" format for a user interface, the only people using PC's would be... ummm... wait... NOBODY would be using pc's. LOL That's not to say I think Macs, or Apple is perfect... far from it... and don't get ME started on Mobile me... I use it, and it sucks. But for reliability, ease of use, intuitive logic... you CAN'T beat a Mac. And as for the software availability argument, that went out the door in the mid '90's if not before.

Coke is better than Pepsi

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Spoken like someone that has never used a Mac. hahaha

Name me one popular piece of Windows software that isn't on a Mac or doesn't have a Mac equivalent?

I don't know anyone that runs and anti-virus program on a Mac.
I don't know of one publication or Mac expert that strongly advices Mac users to run anti-virus software. I'm a 5 year Mac user and never had a virus or spyware issues, also we have lots of Mac's in the office with a similar track record.

Mac fanboy out! :)

Put on your boxing gloves, we are gonna duke this one out!!! I have been an IT tech/admin for the past 15 years, have used all major os?s and will probably forget more about tech than most people will ever bother to learn.

Look ANYONE can tell you that Mac's are less susceptible to viruses, I will readily admit this. My issue with Mac is a much broader one. Let me compile this list...

1)PC cost versus Mac cost Winner = PC
Let's be real, Macs look cool. Unfortunately Steve Jobs punches you right in the wallet for that "coolness". PC's are on average 1/3 the cost of their Mac equivalents.

2) Technology (the internals?cpu, ram, etc) Winner = TIE
Both Mac and pc use the -same- hardware (but wait, see #1). So are Apple engineers extremely overpaid? How do they justify the cost?

3) Software availability Winner = PC
ANYONE who doubts this just needs to frequent the software section of a Best Buy (or pick your favorite tech store). Tried using a Mac for business? The majority need Bootcamp or Parallels to run what? WINDOWS compatible software. Ever used Quickbooks for Mac? Exchange? LOLOLOL Don?t even get me started on that Mobile Me crap excuse for a software.

4) O/S upgradeability Winner = PC (try loading snow cat on your old imac ;)
Apple is KNOWN for dumping upgrade options for old platforms. I can grab a Windows XP/Vista/7 disc and load it on just about any pc regardless of age.

5) Virus Susceptibility Winner = Mac
Even I sometimes want to clock MS for their security holes. Hands down Mac wins this one. If you want to lock down your Windows against viruses, just ask an IT admin or search it on Google. But riddle me this...if you were a malware coder, who would you write a virus for? Mac, who has 10% market share or Microsoft, who has 88% (both approx)? It?s a numbers game baby! If Mac numbers grow?

And who said Macs can't get viruses? MACWORLD LINK ...read the 4th paragraph down.

6) Reliability (hardware) Winner = Tie
They are based on the same hardware; therefore they average the same failure rates. But there is a HUGE difference in repair costs! I can write a dissertation on this one alone! Why does a hard drive (ram, power supply, etc) for Mac cost 2 to 3 times more (sometimes even more) than the pc equivalent part? And don?t forget, see #2. The investment of time and incredible work to gain access to some of the parts is mind boggling!

7) When things go FUBAR (F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition) Winner = Windows
I PEE myself when I am at the Mac store and I hear the ?techs? tell people how they will have to reload their o/s to fix a simple issue LOLOL. There are sooooo many options to recover Windows and its data, it is mind boggling. I will say this, the average pc user can usually muck their way around an error if it?s not too bad. The average user on a Mac? Puhleeze! They will scream bloody murder at the first error! And boy do they happen!

8) Ease of Use Winner = Mac
The Mac Os is very easy to use, and it is generally reliable (it shows its Unix/BSD heritage in that regard). This is true as long as the person is not a Windows die hard user. The granular control that Windows gives is truly superior to Mac?s and if a user is looking for the same in Mac o/s they will sorely miss it.

Bottom line is it sounds like someone spiked your kool aid buddy! If you are gonna give advise then at least be factual and fair. Damn fan boys? go sing Kumbaya with Steve Jobs!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Put on your boxing gloves, we are gonna duke this one out!!! I have been an IT tech/admin for the past 15 years, have used all major os?s and will probably forget more about tech than most people will ever bother to learn.

Look ANYONE can tell you that Mac's are less susceptible to viruses, I will readily admit this. My issue with Mac is a much broader one. Let me compile this list...

1)PC cost versus Mac cost Winner = PC
Let's be real, Macs look cool. Unfortunately Steve Jobs punches you right in the wallet for that "coolness". PC's are on average 1/3 the cost of their Mac equivalents.

2) Technology (the internals?cpu, ram, etc) Winner = TIE
Both Mac and pc use the -same- hardware (but wait, see #1). So are Apple engineers extremely overpaid? How do they justify the cost?

3) Software availability Winner = PC
ANYONE who doubts this just needs to frequent the software section of a Best Buy (or pick your favorite tech store). Tried using a Mac for business? The majority need Bootcamp or Parallels to run what? WINDOWS compatible software. Ever used Quickbooks for Mac? Exchange? LOLOLOL Don?t even get me started on that Mobile Me crap excuse for a software.

4) O/S upgradeability Winner = PC (try loading snow cat on your old imac ;)
Apple is KNOWN for dumping upgrade options for old platforms. I can grab a Windows XP/Vista/7 disc and load it on just about any pc regardless of age.

5) Virus Susceptibility Winner = Mac
Even I sometimes want to clock MS for their security holes. Hands down Mac wins this one. If you want to lock down your Windows against viruses, just ask an IT admin or search it on Google. But riddle me this...if you were a malware coder, who would you write a virus for? Mac, who has 10% market share or Microsoft, who has 88% (both approx)? It?s a numbers game baby! If Mac numbers grow?

And who said Macs can't get viruses? MACWORLD LINK ...read the 4th paragraph down.

6) Reliability (hardware) Winner = Tie
They are based on the same hardware; therefore they average the same failure rates. But there is a HUGE difference in repair costs! I can write a dissertation on this one alone! Why does a hard drive (ram, power supply, etc) for Mac cost 2 to 3 times more (sometimes even more) than the pc equivalent part? And don?t forget, see #2. The investment of time and incredible work to gain access to some of the parts is mind boggling!

7) When things go FUBAR (F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition) Winner = Windows
I PEE myself when I am at the Mac store and I hear the ?techs? tell people how they will have to reload their o/s to fix a simple issue LOLOL. There are sooooo many options to recover Windows and its data, it is mind boggling. I will say this, the average pc user can usually muck their way around an error if it?s not too bad. The average user on a Mac? Puhleeze! They will scream bloody murder at the first error! And boy do they happen!

8) Ease of Use Winner = Mac
The Mac Os is very easy to use, and it is generally reliable (it shows its Unix/BSD heritage in that regard). This is true as long as the person is not a Windows die hard user. The granular control that Windows gives is truly superior to Mac?s and if a user is looking for the same in Mac o/s they will sorely miss it.

Bottom line is it sounds like someone spiked your kool aid buddy! If you are gonna give advise then at least be factual and fair. Damn fan boys? go sing Kumbaya with Steve Jobs!
(This isn't going to end well...;))

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I am getting ready to join the world of the Miami socialites ;) so I gotta run, but soon I will post for you guys everything that I run to keep my clients pc's running lean and mean.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Marco put me onto this windows cleaner years ago and never a problem since intalling it on my 3 PC's
Advanced SystemCare Free 4 Download Review for Windows XP/Vista/7 - IObit
Wud, thanks for the tip. I had another "fix it" tool that was primarily a registry repairer.

I did some research and bought the $13 upgrade of ACS. Yeah, Mr. Big Spender.:cheeky:

Excellent. The "deep cleaning" tool found tens of thousands of pieces of crap scattered all over. AND freed up 9.5gb of disc space.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
When I hear those two little letters... "I. T." I immediately cringe. I don't know PeteyPablo, and he might even be as good as he thinks he is; but I have to say, his comment ... "will probably forget more about tech than most people will ever bother to learn..." is both arrogant and mildly obnoxious. Actually it fits very well with most of the vast legions of "I.T" techs, managers, and administrators I've known over the years.

Like I said, I don't know Petey, and he might be some kind of wiz kid, so the following statement is not directed at him personally.

Those of us old enough to have seen computers enter our daily lives in the last half of the 20th century are probably familiar with the expression that emerged back then: "People are not perfect, but to really screw things up you need a computer."

As computers became an integral part of our lives, and the accompanying "experts" arrived to "fix" them for us; among a certain circle of people who use and rely on computers for their professions, (especially within organizations that have an "I.T." department), that old expression was resurrected and modified to reflect the reality in today's computer centric world:
"COMPUTERS are not perfect; but to really screw one up, CALL "I.T.".

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
When I hear those two little letters... "I. T." I immediately cringe. I don't know PeteyPablo, and he might even be as good as he thinks he is; but I have to say, his comment ... "will probably forget more about tech than most people will ever bother to learn..." is both arrogant and mildly obnoxious. Actually it fits very well with most of the vast legions of "I.T" techs, managers, and administrators I've known over the years.

Like I said, I don't know Petey, and he might be some kind of wiz kid, so the following statement is not directed at him personally.

Those of us old enough to have seen computers enter our daily lives in the last half of the 20th century are probably familiar with the expression that emerged back then: "People are not perfect, but to really screw things up you need a computer."

As computers became an integral part of our lives, and the accompanying "experts" arrived to "fix" them for us; among a certain circle of people who use and rely on computers for their professions, (especially within organizations that have an "I.T." department), that old expression was resurrected and modified to reflect the reality in today's computer centric world:
"COMPUTERS are not perfect; but to really screw one up, CALL "I.T.".

I'm sure that's a fair assesment given your experience with "I.T.", and one that I have seen all too often so I do agree. But please do not be mistaken...what you are referring to are generally the help desk guys. I feel for you in that scenario ;)

By no means am I a kid, I have 15 years experience in my profession and more than that if you tally when I started as a hobby. It was not my intention to come across as arrogant. I have experience in satellite and wireless based data communications, running multiple offices nationwide over all sorts of data uplinks. All that and I still care to actually talk to people and get to know them and not hide behind a monitor. Call me old fashioned...but no, I am not your run of the mill IT person. If I get to know any of you in person (as I hope to), you will know this about me.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I will hold true to my word...I will give my "Goody Grab Bag" for fixing Windows ailments later today...stay tuned.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Wud, thanks for the tip. I had another "fix it" tool that was primarily a registry repairer.

I did some research and bought the $13 upgrade of ACS. Yeah, Mr. Big Spender.:cheeky:

Excellent. The "deep cleaning" tool found tens of thousands of pieces of crap scattered all over. AND freed up 9.5gb of disc space.

Holy crap!! I will have to take a look at the program.

bostonsteve

Oct 24, 2010
wud is right on!have been using ACS for a few years now. as for a good FREE antivirus program, i suggest Avira.For malware protection, malwarebytes(also free). And of course, for all pc users,get all the latest updates from microsoft(unlees using an illegal bootleg copy of windows!)