Theft from BHD Bank Account

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
I am a new member here, and I want to report an unfortunate situation with BHD Bank. I opened an account with BHD Cabarete approximately 3 weeks ago. I transferred money from my account in the US. Yesterday, I received an email from the bank asking if I had authorized a transfer. I immediately replied no. The bank still allowed the transfer of all my funds out of my account. They have a photo of the many taking the money out of the account and his account number and address. They are doing nothing. Supposedly they are investigating but they can give me no definite time period and have not even questioned the man, a Juan Mieses. Any past experience with this or any suggestions are appreciated.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
They claim that I gave away my code card, but it has not left my person, and furthermore, my password would also be required to make the transfer. The only place were all of this information is stored is obviously the BHD mainframe.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am a little confused. They have a photo of the person taking the money from the bank, but it was transferred, which is it, withdrawal or transfer.
Your card can easily be cloned, but they would still need your pin, and the only way of getting that is installing a dummy machine face with a camera attached, then remove it once they have cloned a few cards and recorded the pin numbers of these cards.

It is unclear what the scenario is with your troubles.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
Further explanation

The man transferred from my account to his account in BHD Bank at another city in the Dominican Republic over the internet. The transaction was regarded as suspicious and the bank emailed us and we replyed immediately that we had not authorized this tranaction. He went into the bank and withdrew all the money at the teller window, so they have his photo. I have never used my debit card at an ATM. The account is only a few weeks old and so far I only have made bank transfers from our US account.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Someone at the bank is in on it, and they don't want to admit it. Contact a local attorney as to how to make a declaration against the person and then demand that the person be arrested.

Unfortunately, justice isn't just blind here, it is also a bit deaf, so you have to yell very loudly.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
Yes, I assume that somone in the bank in on it by the lack of attention it is receiving. It was a significant sum of money. I have asked that the man be arrested and also contacted an attorney. My attorney told me to allow the investigation to proceed first. The bank states that it is necessary to follow a bureacratic procedure to arrest the man. I then asked that he at least be questioned. I have not received any response and I now have put it in an email to the bank.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
This is truly an unfortunate stressful situation quite irritating. It's one of the reasons I will not open a banking account in this country. At least in the U.S. with banking frauds you report it to the bank they either fax or mail you the fraudulent activity paperwork. Then within 48hrs or so you get provisional credit for the missing amount they further investigate it and take care of the matter promptly for the most part. In the DR its bad enough with banks dealing with Dominicans but when dealing with foreigners its worse more complicated the " You're not Dominican you're not from here who cares" mentality is prevalent in this country. This will take you good time to resolve if possible but the bank is giving you the "Who cares about you" attitude its quite crappy and upsetting!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
My opinion foreigners should take great precaution and analyze things well before opening banking accounts in the DR its not the same banking culture as their is in developed first world countries.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
Banco BHD attitude

My husband and I live on social security. This is devastating to us. We arrived at the bank first thing this morning. The manager walked in and ordered coffe to be brought to her on a tray and did not even offer us any. She then proceeded to claim that it was impossible and wanted to see our key card. We showed it to her and she could not believe it. She then claimed that the information was taken by hacking into our computer. I pointed out that it is a plastic card and the information is on a card, not in our computer. That seemed to sail over her head. We kept asking that they just question the Dominican who transfered our money into his account, instead of questioning us. The have not questioned him as far as I know, even after I put this request in writing. I do not recommend Banco BHD to anyone. I put money in a bank to have it safe.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
Now they want to examine our computer. I pointed out to them that our computer does not have the information on it, but that their mainframe does. Still they are coming here on Saturday to examine our computer. First, they insisted that we travel to Santo Domingo. I know one thing - they are not taking my computer. I will never see it again, just like putting my money in their bank!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
My husband and I live on social security. This is devastating to us. We arrived at the bank first thing this morning. The manager walked in and ordered coffe to be brought to her on a tray and did not even offer us any. She then proceeded to claim that it was impossible and wanted to see our key card. We showed it to her and she could not believe it. She then claimed that the information was taken by hacking into our computer. I pointed out that it is a plastic card and the information is on a card, not in our computer. That seemed to sail over her head. We kept asking that they just question the Dominican who transfered our money into his account, instead of questioning us. The have not questioned him as far as I know, even after I put this request in writing. I do not recommend Banco BHD to anyone. I put money in a bank to have it safe.

Another example of the apathetic banking culture in most DR banks. This is quite sad doing this to good folks living off social security. These banks don't question their own people because they know Dominicans would go there day after day and not leave til the matter is resolved and with foreigners and/or expats they know these people tend to come from a more civilized and modernly educated cultural environment and will not cause a disruptive scene in the bank. DR banks employees including management is aware of this and rely on this lazy " I'll do it whenever I get to it" mentality.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have been dealing with BHD for 13 years and never had a problem. Both my wife and I have accounts there and always get offered coffee. The Internet banking security is quite good, and if things are as you said, it has to be an inside job.Even that's doubtful because you are the only one with your code card. There are literally thousands of them and they are all different. An person would need your passport or Cedula number and your password to get to the correct screen,
then they need your code card to actually do the transfer. Now if said individual goes into the bank and withdraws the money if it's over a certain amount the teller need to have a bank officer do an authorization. If the withdrawal is over 250,000 pesos you need to do more than one withdrawal.
I suggest you take you lawyer into the bank with you.

E

engineerfg

It's probably the same bank manager that's in on it. Stop voluntarily helping them out, ie. giving them your computer. Are you kidding? They've been robbed and either don't want to admit it, or they're in on it (most likely the latter). make a stink!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It's probably the same bank manager that's in on it. Stop voluntarily helping them out, ie. giving them your computer. Are you kidding? They've been robbed and either don't want to admit it, or they're in on it (most likely the latter). make a stink!

Don't make a stink. Make a very loud, smelly, dramatic, over-the-top, scream-and-faint, crying-and-wailing, show stopping stink.

Unfortunately, unless you make them look bad publicly, nothing will take place. And you definitely want to name names.

Even better, before you go, find out the name of the bank president, and when you start freaking out, be sure to mention that you are going to proceed to the capital and speak to Mr. So-and-so personally, even if you have to wait in his office all day.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DRAMA.

Other than that small detail, I agree with engineer's post. Definitely, do not let them see your computer.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
The amount taken was well over the RD$250,000 that the previous writer said should have required all sorts of authorization. My money was just given away, even when I told them that the transaction was not authorized.

Sosuatrecker

Mar 17, 2011
Regarding my computer

I do not understand why I should not let them look at my computer. I want to help them, but I certainly no longer trust them.
What could happen to my computer if they looked at it?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
They have already stolen from you. They're looking for something on your computer that will prove their innocence. If they can't find it, they will put it there, and they are counting on you not being able to prove differently.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Phone Santo Domingo 1-809-200-2445 (toll free)or 809-896-7002 with all your information and explain your problem. Make sure you mention that the bank manager in Cabarete has been uncooperative. Whomever you explain your problem to should pass you on to a higher up manager than will hopefully put the fear of god into the bank manager in Cabarete and get things moving.

Feb 7, 2007
Go directly to BHD Security. They are on 27 de Febrero & Lincoln, in a small building behind the main building's parking ramp.

Also if you know the suspect's name you can make direct criminal complaint (querella) at the fiscal's (DA's) office. You can even make querella even if you don't know the name.... You should hire a well respected attorney who will represent you. The fiscal and judge can request video camera recordings from the branch. You need to act NOW!!!! Also be prepared to do the "investigation" yourself.... When I was hit by a hit&run, I had to take Amet report to traffic court myself, then go to tax office to get certified copy of offending's vhicle registration informatio that states owner's name, and based on that the court cites the offending driver... Everywhere else you file a complaint and the authorities takecare of the rest... Not in the DR, here you have to do the work yourself.

So start acting now, because nobody will resolve this for you if you don't start moving and threading the water...