Theft from Luggage at PUJ

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I guess we will see if the mainstream DR media reports this. And, if there is more to the story.

{Google translation from Spanish}

Tourist denounces theft of US$ 10,000 and his cell phone on Delta Air Lines flight Cleveland-Punta Cana

Punta Cana, province La Altagracia

A new case, a new victim. Another tourist reports that they allegedly stole an approximate sum of US$10,000.00 and his IPhone 10 cell phone from his carry-on suitcase on his trip with Delta Air Lines from Cleveland to the Punta Cana International Airport.

The foreigner was interviewed this Thursday morning at the Punta Cana Detachment, where he is looking for legal ways to get someone to answer for the loss of cash and cell phone.

He explained that when he boarded the plane in Cleveland with his suitcase in hand, someone notified him that there was no space in the compartment inside the plane, so they sent the luggage to the hold. When he receives it, in Punta Cana, he only finds his passport inside it.

A companion of the affected person explains that “in his hand luggage there was cash of approximately US$10,000.00 and an IPhone 10. We are talking about a considerably large amount and we already know the mafia that is at the airport, so the airline does not you want to take charge. They have been coming to the barracks for several days to denounce and there is no response.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Who lets their carry on with cash, phone and passport get whisked away to the hold ?
Right, not the smartest move. My cash, cellphone, passport etc. etc. always go in a personal item (backpack) under the seat in front of me. My bags (including carry on) have TSA locks.

Reactions: JD Jones

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
He explained that when he boarded the plane in Cleveland with his suitcase in hand, someone notified him that there was no space in the compartment inside the plane, so they sent the luggage to the hold. When he receives it, in Punta Cana, he only finds his passport inside it.[/QUOTE}

¿How did he get his "CHECKED" suitcase with his passport in it before going through immigration?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Carry on probably moved to the cargo hold at the aircraft door, that's usually how it's done. Airlines (even Spirit) allow a personal item, small bag / backpack goes under the seat in front.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Carry on probably moved to the cargo hold at the aircraft door, that's usually how it's done. Airlines (even Spirit) allow a personal item, small bag / backpack goes under the seat in front.
Okay, that's a little different, I was thinking they checked it at the boarding gate.
He was already on the plane.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
IF he is a scammer (I believe he is) I wonder if he stated on the Q code app he filled out that he was carrying $10,000, which I recall is one of the questions. And why would any good thief "that stole his money" leave behind the guy's passport? So that the "scammer" can lay a claim to the bag that is missing 10 large?

BS story.

Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
IF he is a scammer (I believe he is) I wonder if he stated on the Q code app he filled out that he was carrying $10,000, which I recall is one of the questions. And why would any good thief "that stole his money" leave behind the guy's passport? So that the "scammer" can lay a claim to the bag that is missing 10 large?

BS story.
He may have been carrying cash for someone in the DR. Happens frequently. So he keeps it and makes this claim to cover himself with the person or persons he was dealing with.............

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
wasn't checked luggage, it was his carry on that the crew decided there wasn't enough room on board for. They tag it right there and put it in the cargo hold. They do warn you to TAKE OUT MEDICES AND VALUABLES.

Reactions: debinatore

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Who lets their carry on with cash, phone and passport get whisked away to the hold ?

Hell I am the guy causing a rukus when there is no space directly over my seat...... lol

I smell fish.
The "fish" is the rest of the story. Usually, when anyone has their carry-on checked to the hold the checked carry-on is brought to the bridge or placed at the portable ramp upon arrival for the passenger to retrieve. This poster would create a rukus (sic) if not able to place a carry-on with valuables in the overhead. It is a matter of discretely mentioning to the air crew high valued items are in it. A well-trained crew would find space in the cabin for the carry-on. At minimum, the passenger in this matter could have withdrawn the phone and money before it being checked, the air crew would have had advised it.

Just an opinion, this poster if in the same situation would not let $10,000 get out of sight.

This loss is very very fishy.

Regards,

PJT

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Three wks. ago A-A took my carry on just when I was boarding and stuck it in the cargo hold, they didn't mention anything about meds. or valuables they just took it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Three wks. ago A-A took my carry on just when I was boarding and stuck it in the cargo hold, they didn't mention anything about meds. or valuables they just took it.
And if you had told them you have valuables in it and want to remove them do you really think they would just TAKE IT.................You said nothing, and they did nothing......

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If it did happen it could have happened anywhere between Cleveland and Punta Cana. They would have had to make a connection somewhere along the way.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lesson: Don't be one of the last persons on the plane.

Reactions: PJT

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I arrived at PUJ on Tuesday. Someone stole the brand new TSA lock that Amazon delivered to me on Sunday
Now I am out $5.00 CDN. I want someone's head on a stick for this outrageous behavior

Jan 9, 2004
Okay, that's a little different, I was thinking they checked it at the boarding gate.
He was already on the plane.

Understood.

But your question is still valid.

How, if the passport was now in checked luggage, did he get through immigration at PUJ without it? The normal routine is immigration, pass port stamped with entry and then one proceeds to retrieve luggage.

Unless of course, like a stroller, it was delivered back to the jetway upon the planes arrival.

But, what is to say that the theft did not occur at the originating airport.

More questions than answers on this one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2