They released a nurse shark in Playa Sosua.... not in the street in the water !!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
And I thought all the sharks were on the street (!?), I don't know what to think of this, if you ask me it was a stupid thing to do. I know nurse sharks are not aggressive (although they are known for reacting and biting people), but why the hell would you do this.

Your average snorkling/swimming Joe (tourist or Dominican) won't know the difference in size and colour, and even I would be scared sh**less if I come across this on my regular visits to the reef. They usually sleep during the day but next you hear some smart ass start playing with it and it bites back and you have the "shark attack in Sosua beach" news all over the internet - then you can really kiss goodbye to this little town.

I wish they would release it somewhere else, think first, act second, never here. Well, at least I hope it just hate this dead coral and take off somewhere else (or would love it and make it home and call her friends to come around.... lol !? Apparently they like to stay together in groups of 40 !!!)

Liberan tibur?n Gata en Playa Sos?a

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Do you really think that the nurse shark is going to hang out on the beach instead of swimming off to a reef close by where it will be more at home? Id bet that the shark hauled butt outta there as soon as it was freed to do so.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
A little shark attack might help. Free publicity. It's not like it's a Great White.

Playa Alicia used to be a big shark hang out.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun,

Dadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I did some research when I first arrived on the island and it appears most of the shark sightings are on the
southern coast. I guess someone wants there to be shark sightings on the north coast as well.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They killed all the big sharks or frightened off all the big sharks up there. The cuttings and bone from an old slaughterhouse in Sosua used to be thrown off the cliff around the corner. The Casa Marina bay, which attracted lots of sharks, which attracted lots of shark fishing which killed all the sharks, like they do tend to do to anything that is not human in Hispanola.
You can catch decent sized sharks off the reef from Santo Domingo, it's not unusual. I've seen a young lad wheeling a 7 ft shark down the beach in a wheel barrow in Guayacanes beach, up the road.

I thought Sosua was popular for snorkling? I would think that having a few sharks around would be a popular move. I suppose people are not aware they are swimming within a stones throw of sharks all the time off these shores. What you can't see can't hurt you!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2ak056p.gif

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I thought Sosua was popular for snorkling? I would think that having a few sharks around would be a popular move.

This must be the biggest joke of the day (!?), what makes you think (normal) people like to swim amongst sharks that can bit their head off.... !? Of course unless they are sadomasochist, (or those wish it for others, sadist - what was the name of that guy from the James Bond movie.... !?)

Just a mention of a shark sighting would totally damage the reputation of the beach and clear off the few tourist that are still coming.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you panic unnecessarily. this is warm ocean, there are always some sharks. even thou in DR, close to the coast they have been pretty much eradicated. the presence of sharks does not keep people away from the water. not even shark attacks. just look at the beaches of hawaii, florida, australia, south africa and more.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I take it you don't like sharks then?

You do know that you are swimming among them anyway, just because you can't see them. They would not have released a nurse shark where there were not others, they need company from family, big families, lol. They would also not release a nurse shark into Sosua knowing there were others there if they thought that there was much chance of being bit, oit was released there so it could find others easily. I wouldn't worry about it, they will have been sniffing your toes for years while you were unaware.

Any release in DR is a reason to celebrate, maybe we're getting somewhere.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I have snorkelled with several nurse sharks and dozens of rays in Belize. They were very friendly due to the fact that the fisherman returning stopped here to clean their catch and feed them. If you feed them they will stay and become used to humans and relate them to feeding. It was not scary although I have been in the water and seen other types of sharks and it was scary due to my lack of experience.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I swam with and held the Nurse sharks at Ocean World, no biggie. When they jumped for the food while we were holding them that did scare me, they are friggin FAST!

If your fingers are out any fish will try to bite it off for food. You're taught to keep them in a tight fist.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
No need to go all the way to Belize......

[video=youtube;APaNHJHwYj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APaNHJHwYj0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Just next door in Punta Cana.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Some years ago I fed the shark from the bridge over the grotto at the Devil's Hole in Bermuda. For a fee you could hang a rope with bait tied onto the end into the grotto below. When the shark took the bait you could pull it straight up to get sense of its weight.

There were several large sea turtles there as well.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Nurse sharks are bottom-feeding tourist attractions. I've had scuba close encountered (no cage) w/them in the Caymans. I can't vouch for other types.

Marinarium Shark and Ray Experience - Punta Cana | Viator

Exactly. We've pulled them out of their holes off cane bay wall so that the tourist divers can see them. Sometimes they even pin you or your dive buddy against the reef as they scurry off giving the tourist divers something to talk about. Nurse sharks are very docile creatures even when you pull their tails!

Status
Not open for further replies.