They're back...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
SH!T, you guys should hang out at Walmart more. If you want proof, just google "walmart people" and see the sights!!!

While this might be poor breeding, or lack of manners, who is to blame??? They were not brought up with Miss Manners or Amy Vanderbilt. They have no idea of the western idea of "culture" or "manners" and as a result what we see seems to be so tasteless that it is bothersome.

However, the rule will have to be: Live and let live.

In my classrooms at the university, I teach the boys that ball caps are for outside, never inside. If they forget I get the whole class to point at them until they remember. Some are so ingrained that the 4 months of the semester go by and they still have hats on when I start class....but they learn a bit.....slowly....

Not to worry. The world will be here tomorrow with greater issues...for sure!!

HB

I love the People of WalMart webpage. And I used to enjoy people watching at Walmart.

What I find intriguing is why members of the Dominican diaspora dress as they do. It's almost as if they are trying too hard to fit into a stereotype that have in their own minds. That would suggest there is some sort of self-identity issues.

A sociologist would be much better at explaining it. And I agree with zoomzx11, who said that it is certainly entertaining.

As to the hat inside story: even today I cringe when I see a man eating while wearing a baseball cap. But that is because, even after 30+ years, I still remember the ringing in my ears after my mother smacked a baseball cap off my head, while saying in her sweet voice, "We don't wear hats at the dinner table, dear."

aguas

Feb 7, 2010
Its the differences among us that make life interesting. People are entitled to look as rediculous as they like. I find it very entertaining. If you are offended then dont look.

Amen! Pass the collection plate. I have never understood the fashion police writing citations for people wearing shorts in 80-90 degree weather. I will never forget a local gentleman I observed waiting in line in a cell phone store. His pants were slightly tighter than his long sleeve shirt. I watched with amusement as he constantly wiped sweat from his brow. But I guess to him and probably others, I was the "stupid tourist" wearing short pants and a t-shirt.

May 12, 2005
Can someone suggest a nice way to say to Dominican York women that their somewhat oversized buttcheeks hanging out of too-short shorts really is not attractive? Or how do I tell a Dominican York man that the baseball cap does not have to be worn every moment of the day and night?

Last year, a friend came down from the US for Christmas so I had the privilege of standing at Las Americas Airport and watch a Dominican Yorks walk down the aisle amidst the waiting Dominicans. I'm really surprised how the airplanes can get off the ground with the amount of luggage.

This year, my friend can't make it, but I'm really considering going to the airport tomorrow just to watch the show. Who's in?

If you go, please take fotos to share with the group. Thank you.

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
The luggage thing is nothing nowadays, ever since the airlines started reducing he amount of suitaces you can bring and charging for luggage. Back in the days it was the norm to bring in two to three huuuuge suitcases full of stuff for the whole family (neighborhood really). I confess I was guilty of that when I first came to The US. Nowadays I take a 50 lbs bad or less and don't take stuff to give to anyone (maybe little things like a parfume for my sister). I once saw a family come to the airport with a dump truck to pick up the arriving relatives from NY and the truck was pretty much full by the time they loaded up everything.

YES!!! Did you travel Dominican Air? LOL...5-6 maletas, man!!! LOL. Nowadays, JetBlu will forcefully keep you under 50lbs, not even a 5lbs grace! I had a 50lbs some months back and they made me remove a pound of clothes, so I had to carry it in a bag, lol.