Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm thinking of buying a car for my personal use at the end of this year. The car would be used for everyday driving in a limited way, ie; supermarket, short trips, going to the capital etc. I am interested in recommendations for SUV type cars (I haven't driven a sedan in 20 years) that are reliable and can be serviced quickly when needed in the capital area. I have a budget in mind of $15,000. Possible?

Reactions: aarhus

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm thinking of buying a car for my personal use at the end of this year. The car would be used for everyday driving in a limited way, ie; supermarket, short trips, going to the capital etc. I am interested in recommendations for SUV type cars (I haven't driven a sedan in 20 years) that are reliable and can be serviced quickly when needed in the capital area. I have a budget in mind of $15,000. Possible?
I'd find an agency close to where you are that imports slightly used cars. Or, find a good mechanic that can evaluate a private party cars. Facebook marketplace has a constant parade, but be very cautious.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Gorgon is not here, but he can be located. Members have contacts with him. Just ask.

Reactions: zoomzx11
Jan 9, 2004

Yes, it is possible.

Based on your criteria, in overall brand quality, reliability and servicing............... your search should focus on these three brands...............in this order.......Toyota, with Honda and Hyundai (depending on model) tied.

Best of Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gorgon has served many DR1 members quite well. He knows cars and he knows Dominican wiles and tricks.
If you can get to him, use his service...
I, personally love Subaru Outbacks. Extremely long-lasting, economical, excellent service (in Santiago at least), and affordable.

Good Luck,

HB

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I suggest using "Gorgon" Mike. I did and was very satisfied. If you do not know cars and that business here you will end up buying a piece of junk that you will regret.

Xtraveller

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I suggest using "Gorgon" Mike. I did and was very satisfied. If you do not know cars and that business here you will end up buying a piece of junk that you will regret.

Xtraveller
Maybe we need “Gorgon” Mike back as moderator in the Cars forum or something. Just looked under the different forums though and could not see where cars fit in lol but sounds like a subject that would generate a lot of interest. There should be some good deals out there right now. I am looking to.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
$15,000 is a fair amount to get a good SUV. It will likely be 2010 or older with 140K on it. Trouble is few to no Dominicans properly maintain cars. There are rare exceptions - but they are hard to find, like Big Foot or DB Cooper sightings.

Reactions: arturo

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm curious as to why you don't like Jeep. I had a 2000 Gran Cherokee that lasted for > 200k miles and 16 years. Obviously things change in 20 years so I'd like to know your rationale. Thanks.

Rob

Buy a Toyota for RD$850,000 (around the OPs budget). Sell it ten years later for 750,000.

They rarely break down, and if they do, most local mechanics can fix them with many parts available off the shelf.

The Grand Cherokee is a great vehicle. Stylish, comfortable , reliable and very capable. My first choice would always be a Toyota. They are over engineered for reliability and longevity, one of the few manufacturers that don't employ the concept of built in obsolescence. Modern European cars are actually designed to fail at certain time intervals to generate revenue for the workshops and promote new car sales. A perfect concept to maintain newer cars on the roads where many owners actually lease them for a short time, then change to a newer one after three to five years. That business model does not apply to the DR. Cars are expensive and for good reason.

Don't take my word for it, read this article. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-what-makes-land-cruisers-so-reliable/

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If I was looking for a vehicle with a $15,000 budget, I would chose this one.

Reactions: Fulano2