Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..after many years in the auto business.. my advise is this island eats cars.. the drivers are the worst.. your car insurance is probably almost worthless.. a better option is uber is cheap.. taxi is cheap..buses are cheap.......I have cars but almost always use the above choices....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
..after many years in the auto business.. my advise is this island eats cars.. the drivers are the worst.. your car insurance is probably almost worthless.. a better option is uber is cheap.. taxi is cheap..buses are cheap.......I have cars but almost always use the above choices....
I bought a Sante Fe in 2003 shortly after I came here full time. I donated it to a family member about 14 years later when I got a Kia Sorento.
I have driven enough times to Santo Domingo and Jarabacoa that I don't need directions to move around either location.
I just had to adapt to driving like I was in a video game.

Now we have three vehicles. One I purchased specifically to play music gigs, but CV19 has shut that down for the foreseeable future.
Never been a fan of taking taxis unless I am going to the airport. I probably won't be taking any buses for the near future even to and from
Santo Domingo which I had been doing for the past few pre-CV19 years.

I would never live in Santo Domingo since I hate the place, but if I did, I probably would be more likely to use taxis.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

What makes you say insurance is probably worthless?

Reactions: SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not a business......

he's a car concierge type.....
Walk any time you're unhappy....
If someone offers a service for a fee, it is a business. Whether that someone be one person or a company of 10,000 people.
That said, it might be a "cash" business, eh? I bet if the government knew about it, they would call it a business.

Reactions: Luperon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right - like the man selling coconuts or fruit at the roadside
They register with the Better Business Bureau in Sosua, I expect

Same thing

Reactions: drstock

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yessir......

Do we think there are more illegal than legal businesses ?

Start counting as you drive..... the roadside vendors......veg.fruit stands, tire shops, auto repair
All cash businesses

Feel free to add to the list-
painters, roof repair, plumbers, electricians............

Reactions: drstock and Caonabo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yessir......

Do we think there are more illegal than legal businesses ?

Start counting as you drive..... the roadside vendors......veg.fruit stands, tire shops, auto repair
All cash businesses

Feel free to add to the list-
painters, roof repair, plumbers, electricians............
Flawed. That ASSumes all on your list and Windy's innuendo have not registered nor do they pay taxes. Your basis of information is? BTW "ah c'mon" will not support your opinion especially in regards to the"car man".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I really don't care......
I won't be conducting a roadside survey of RNC holders...
that's a fool's errand.

The whole country lives on this stuff...... people standing/selling on a corner to make a living

The shoe repair guys are the only ones who ever register
and they only register if their wife is a registered seamstress ..........facetious

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
C'mon you guys.. Seriously?

In 2019, the percentage of informal employment in the Dominican Republic stood at 54.28 percent of the total employed population. The share of employment informality has decreased by two and a half percentage points in comparison to the previous year, when 56.79 percent of workers were considered informally employed.

And somebody wants to bust Mike's chops because he helps inexperienced folks not getting taken to the cleaners?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
C'mon you guys.. Seriously?

In 2019, the percentage of informal employment in the Dominican Republic stood at 54.28 percent of the total employed population. The share of employment informality has decreased by two and a half percentage points in comparison to the previous year, when 56.79 percent of workers were considered informally employed.

And somebody wants to bust Mike's chops because he helps inexperienced folks not getting taken to the cleaners?

They should then do the same with ALL informal businesses they might use here... Not sure who that benefits...

There's always one in the crowd that reminds me of my favorite adage, "Those that mind other people's business have no business to mind of their own."

Regarding The Gorgon, we purchased our first vehicle here a few years ago with the help of a friend, but if we ever need another vehicle, we'll definitely go talk with Mike based on all the good stuff people say about him here...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Pig Who Couldn't Squeal

A man in a finca had a sow..... that sow had a litter.....
The man sold one of the piglets to a cocinero...... the farmer had no reg'd business

The cocinero cooked the pig and sold it (whole or in parts) to the street vendors
The cocinero had no Reg'd business

The street vendors sold the pork to the hungry, poor population.... sating their hunger
The street vendors had no reg'd business

If only that pig could have squealed on them.....
they ruined its life - they killed it

Nobody was charged with murder....

What a tragedy.... the Pig Who Couldn't Squeal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See how it works.....
same for fruit.... identical for vegetables