Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why would you want to do that. Sounds like a real Azzhole thing to do. Mind your own business. I have never got along with Mike, but I wouldn't think about doing such an underhanded thing.
They should then do the same with ALL informal businesses they might use here... Not sure who that benefits...

Regarding The Gorgon, we purchased our first vehicle here a few years ago with the help of a friend, but if we ever need another vehicle, we'll definitely go talk with Mike based on all the good stuff people say about him here...

If anybody has a bad report on him - I have never seen or heard it.....

Reactions: Michael DR
Jan 9, 2004
so what, if the service offered is carried out well and the clients are satisfied. The real crooks are the ones rolling back the odometers, hiding damage information...etc.
So what?

So both businesses are operating illegally....................that was my only point.

As to "real" crooks.............as you likely well know...........there are lots of them (expats and otherwise)..............not registering a business and deriving income is tax evasion and is second only to baseball as a sport in the DR...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
More of a hobby than a business.....
but I understand your point , and agree.

Early on - he didn't even have a price list
Just - whatever you feel is fair - attitude

I encouraged him to formalize it

I hope we get side by side cells in prison......
hahaha

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
If someone offers a service for a fee, it is a business. Whether that someone be one person or a company of 10,000 people.
That said, it might be a "cash" business, eh? I bet if the government knew about it, they would call it a business.
And the other question windy needs to ask, has he residency?

If one is worried about a business just buy from a legal DR car dealer such as Apolo Motors in POP.
Honest sales and service.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I really don't care......
I won't be conducting a roadside survey of RNC holders...
that's a fool's errand.

The whole country lives on this stuff...... people standing/selling on a corner to make a living

The shoe repair guys are the only ones who ever register
and they only register if their wife is a registered seamstress ..........facetious
The whole country of DR and it's agents are running on illegality and shadowy business and government practices.
Anyone who has lived for a few years in the DR knows this.

Strange how windy and playa who I think lives on the outside US (correct me if wrong)
Keep on with their fixation of DR legality.

Maybe some of you remember Chris Colon with a long life in the DR and a DR family, with a reality view on the DR.
Nothing has changed since Chris passed away, neither will it in our lifetime, Dominicans will be Dominicans.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
So what?

So both businesses are operating illegally....................that was my only point.

As to "real" crooks.............as you likely well know...........there are lots of them (expats and otherwise)..............not registering a business and deriving income is tax evasion and is second only to baseball as a sport in the DR...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Didn't like

The national government agents of the DR sport is tax evasion and stealing money from DR citizens,
Delivering a minimum of services to them.
This is where the real illegality lies.
I'm still waiting for the DR government to deliver reliable for pay water and electricity services to all who want it.
As well as professional hospitals in the smaller communities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2004
The whole country of DR and it's agents are running on illegality and shadowy business and government practices.
Anyone who has lived for a few years in the DR knows this.

Strange how windy and playa who I think lives on the outside US (correct me if wrong)
Keep on with their fixation of DR legality.

Maybe some of you remember Chris Colon with a long life in the DR and a DR family, with a reality view on the DR.
Nothing has changed since Chris passed away, neither will it in our lifetime, Dominicans will be Dominicans.

I have homes in both countries and clients in both countries..........so keeping up with the legal workings in the country is important to me...................what is your point?

And many of us not only remember CCCCCCccccc but knew him as well.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
C'mon you guys.. Seriously?

In 2019, the percentage of informal employment in the Dominican Republic stood at 54.28 percent of the total employed population. The share of employment informality has decreased by two and a half percentage points in comparison to the previous year, when 56.79 percent of workers were considered informally employed.

And somebody wants to bust Mike's chops because he helps inexperienced folks not getting taken to the cleaners?
Are we forgetting facts ... as JDJ posted ?

Don't spit into the wind
Don't take the mask of the ole Lone Ranger\
Don't tug on Superman's cape

And don't mess around with Jim !

Reactions: JD Jones

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If someone offers a service for a fee, it is a business. Whether that someone be one person or a company of 10,000 people.
That said, it might be a "cash" business, eh? I bet if the government knew about it, they would call it a business.
Of course it's a business. Also more illegal since it's being run by a foreigner. Maybe a deportable offense as well. It's not hard to register, of course the person would have to eligible to do so, and not in violation of any Dominican laws. It irks me when guys on disability are obviously working off the books. Not saying it's the case here.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Of course it's a business. Also more illegal since it's being run by a foreigner. Maybe a deportable offense as well. It's not hard to register, of course the person would have to eligible to do so, and not in violation of any Dominican laws. It irks me when guys on disability are obviously working off the books. Not saying it's the case here.
"Not saying it's a case here"...but you'll say it anyway just in case you need a little extra push. "Illegal" and "Deportable", words that a might be associated with "libel" and "slander". BTW, I think this is a personal attack on a member of the forum as you have clearly identified the individual and as such you are in violation of the TOS of the board. "It irks me" when innuendo is used to slander another person. There is no reason in the world that this is necessary or that it enhances the subject tread "Thinking of buying a car. NEED SOLID ADVISE".
Have a good day.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
People that do not live here full time have no clue about the DR. Anyone ever use a hair salon in someone's house? Or buy fruit from a guy in a truck? I could go on and on, that is life here. Not your "Police State" mentality in other counties.

That is one of the many beauties about living in the Dominican Republic...............

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
More of a hobby than a business.....
but I understand your point , and agree.

Early on - he didn't even have a price list
Just - whatever you feel is fair - attitude

I encouraged him to formalize it

I hope we get side by side cells in prison......
hahaha
Well cross your fingers, throw salt over your shoulder and don't wish Dominican jail on yourself.
Here's the bottom line. Gorgon (Mike) doesn't make enough to worry anyone nor spawn envy.

He provides a service. If you think it's of value then you will inquire of his fee and he will explain what he does and you can use him or not.

I had many a spat with him over politics when he was allowed to post. He couldn't refrain from over the top hyperbole and got banned, OK I've been given time outs myself.

But I think those who want to crack him for his beneficial service are simply jealous or may hold a grudge. I don't.

I give him kudos for what he does, it isn't easy and takes time and a lot of work. He doesn't make more than a beer budget, and maybe a churrasco occasionally.

Let him carry on without you "temperance preachers" waddling fingers at him.
I for one would use him if needed.

If William vouches for him his work is solid.

Go back to the Covid thread and call for tighter curfews to satisfy your puritan demands.

Back to discussing cars.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Windy
Luperon wants to know Reg'n number - for the rentals..... that income those apartments generate....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Windy
Luperon wants to know Reg'n number - for the rentals..... that income those apartments generate....
Maybe this forum could become like Judas Iscariot ratting out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver or George Soros during WWII, ratting out his fellowman in order to go in a loot their homes after the Nazis arrested them ?
I for one say we need to leave each other's income sources and legal status off limits.
I am legal but I know many living here without residency, both Gringos and Haitian. I would never turn on any of them.
Eventually it will come back on those who do so.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay guys, back on topic. Don’t make me use my wooden spoon.

AD955A9D-088C-4BFC-B643-A7FA76766361.jpeg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm so jealous of the keyboard guy.
So am I. (We won't even address the guy playing 2 saxes).

I'm going to take a moment to beat on my Casio Piano I bought to learn how to play piano and still only know a couple of chords after years of trying.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are hinting at a lot here when you have no skin in the game. Whatever he is doing it isn't hurting you in the least, correct. The people that he is volunteering his time to seem to be more than happy to donate to him.