Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
auto. I wasn't looking for a gas saver but apparently iIgot it anyway.
I put together bits of advise and warnings about import, scams, mileage, etc and went with brand name., dealer 38 miles from my apartment, warranty , and Casa Cofer add on to insurance. . . and here I am.

Reactions: XTraveller

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I put together bits of advise and warnings about import, scams, mileage, etc and went with brand name., dealer 38 miles from my apartment, warranty , and Casa Cofer add on to insurance. . . and here I am.
Where and what is the name of the dealer?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Does it have a CVT transmission or a regular automatic? I'd guess CVT.
Transmision continuamente variable (CVT).Right from the source. (Manual in Spanish.So for the price of the car you get to learn Spanish real quick . No translation possible on the road during breakdown,). :oops:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Transmision continuamente variable (CVT).Right from the source. (Manual in Spanish.So for the price of the car you get to learn Spanish real quick . No translation possible on the road during breakdown,). :oops:

Hey, as long as you like it. They are supposed to be really good transmissions.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I had one of those cvt trannys. They are either really good or really bad and bad means expensive. No inbetweens. I dont think there are very many mehanics here that have the know how on those types of transmissions

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
C
CVTs are horrible and Nissan has a bad history of having predictable failures and issues. Maybe they have fixed that in the past few years but be very leery of that transmission.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
C

CVTs are horrible and Nissan has a bad history of having predictable failures and issues. Maybe they have fixed that in the past few years but be very leery of that transmission.
I have a Nissan with CVT. Have been driving it for years with zero problems. And I go to that mode all the time.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a Nissan with CVT. Have been driving it for years with zero problems. And I go to that mode all the time.
You lost me. What does "I go to that mode all the time" mean?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Might mean this -

There is a button to switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

The 4 wheel function can run independently... decide for itself when to go 4 from 2
or
you can lock it into 4 manually....

Sky might use the 4 wheel mode all the time

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You lost me. What does "I go to that mode all the time" mean?
The car has two modes. One the normal automatic shifting, and the other the CTV. With the CTV you shift gears yourself without the necessity of a clutch. This is great for passing cars, etc. As a lower gear shift gives instant power to pass.

As for 4 wheel drive, yes you can lock that in whenever you want.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I had one of those cvt trannys. They are either really good or really bad and bad means expensive. No inbetweens. I dont think there are very many mehanics here that have the know how on those types of transmissions

Care is in the maintenance and I'm certain the Nissan dealer in SD can handle that. I have no intentions of using Jack in the Back auto repair. You are very right it's good or verrrry bad from what I read.

Jan 9, 2004
Nope. I went against the tide and bought a very sporting looking car that was not as heavy as I wanted but i loved the deal after looking for 2 1/2 days. I bought the Nissan Kick. I know it won't stand up to...bla bla . Did one trip so far to Nagua and it ran smooth as a top. Will I like the weight of it? IDK.. If not in 6-8 month I'll sell it and go to a Jeep. Right now I go to golf twice a week, fish store, Jumbo and SD. I don't do the Outback trips. lol

Congrats.

The Nissan Kicks is the replacement for the Nissan Juke..........which never really caught on.

It is sub-compact crossover SUV likely to attract buyers who might ordinarily consider the Sentra.

Having driven one, it seems a good choice for around town, but seems to be under powered with the motor laboring upon highway acceleration.

It likely will also be a better seller in climates without snow as it does not offer anything but 2WD and the interior is a bit spartan, probably to achieve a certain price point.

Nissan offers a decent warranty..............even in the DR...............but the motor/transmission will likely not need it.

My one recommendation would be when you change the oil, use synthetic oil and an oil filter designed for synthetic use.

It is a shame Nissan chose not to offer an all wheel drive option on this model for those who might want it.

Happy Motoring.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What year & model ? How many miles on it.
Nissan had to create an extended warranty after multiple lawsuits for their CVT failures