Thinking of moving to Sousa.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
What is the average salary in Canada? Roughly $4000-$5000 US.

Ummmm... I hate to break it to you AK74, but we in Canada get paid in Canadian dollars .... not in US funds!!!!!:ermm:

Marlie

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
in addition, Marlie, Canadian restaurant workers generally earn minimum wage. They would never come close to earning $4000 per month in wages. So his restaurant expense argument is completely out of whack.

:classic: mob

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
In total business expense in Sosua is 15-20 (FIFTEEN-TWENTY) times smaller than in Canada or NY. So it must be expected the same difference in price for service. Is it the case? Not at all.

In total, customer turnover is probably 15-20 times smaller, also.
Try to sit at a 4 person table alone in Canada or NY for 8 hours and only buy 3 beers. Restaurants turn clients in Canada & US as if it's an assembly line. ;)

Take into account slow/high season. There are weeks at a time that many restaurants are nearly empty.

From what I see, most small business owners get by, they don't get rich. Or they're rich, and just try not to lose too much money at their hobby.

Mar 2, 2008
People choose to own and run businesses for a wide variety of reasons. While some are be in it simply for the money, others may want only to be their own boss. Some may want the freedom to create a monument to their life's work. Others might want to work with a certain population, others to completely avoid people all together. The point is this, making money might be a common reason for owning a business, but it is not the only reason. We see many different styles of restaurants in Sosua, from the franchise style, to the more easy-going, customer-friendly. I think it is fair to say that Sosua reflects both the best and the worse within that range. There are owners who truly love the people they interact with, and truly love their environment. I know these establishments as soon as I walk in, because I feel comfortably at home. I know that while the owner maybe making money, it is not his (or her) only concern. It is also fair to say that there are many restaurants in the Sosua area that fall into this category. It is this non-economic consideration that draws me to Sosua. While the cost of living needs to be taken into account, it is the other, non-tangible factors that are important to me. Don't tell Rocky, but I would still eat at his establishment even if his prices increased. To me, it is not only what I'm buying, it's also understanding what my money is supporting.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Running a bar here is a step above indentured servitude after you take in account high wholesale prices, employee costs, electricity, taxes, theft, freebies etc....

Do you make that observation based on your own experience in doing so?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
AK47 is clearly delusional....just about everything he says is dead wrong...except that prices have gone up...as they have in pretty much the rest of the world....especially the US, Canada and Europe...

And by the way...normal drinks at Lax are not 200-300 pesos...and beers are not 150! Maybe you're thinking of Casanova's who inexplicably raised all there prices a few months ago by about 50%. Cabarete is, however more expensive on average than Sosua... Just like NYC is more expensive than Brooklyn and South Beach Miami is more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale... I like Sosua very much, but no offense to Rocky's and Las Canas - both of which I have been to many times... Neither place is a fairly upscale lounge/restaurant directly on the beach (like Lax)...would anyone expect the prices to be the same?

David,

My friend is a barmaid at Lax. She said a beer is either 140 or 150 now. When is the last time you were there?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
AK47 is clearly delusional....just about everything he says is dead wrong...except that prices have gone up...as they have in pretty much the rest of the world....especially the US, Canada and Europe...

And by the way...normal drinks at Lax are not 200-300 pesos...and beers are not 150! Maybe you're thinking of Casanova's who inexplicably raised all there prices a few months ago by about 50%. Cabarete is, however more expensive on average than Sosua... Just like NYC is more expensive than Brooklyn and South Beach Miami is more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale... I like Sosua very much, but no offense to Rocky's and Las Canas - both of which I have been to many times... Neither place is a fairly upscale lounge/restaurant directly on the beach (like Lax)...would anyone expect the prices to be the same?

It seems as though a little perspective would be helpful. Assuming that all mentioned prices are correct, consider what other places in the Caribbean/world would you be able to get:

$5 beers on a world class beach;

$10-20 dinners at that same beach;

$4-10 meals that are properly cooked and won't make you sick (many spots, but Rocky's in particular);

$50 hotel rooms 5 minutes from a beach, and $80 condos on the bay; and

express transportation to anywhere in town for $2, and to the next town over for between .50 and $20, depending on the mode of transportation.

My point is, when compared to Grand Cayman, Jamaica or the Bahamas, the North Coast represents a tremendous bargain for all that is available. For example, a burger and fries in a dump in Nassau can easily run a tourist $20. At Rocky's, a far nicer and more pleasant spot, it's about 5 bux.

I would submit that those who think they're being taken because they pay as much for a Presidente on the beach WHILE ON VACATION as they would for a beer in some hole in the wall joint in Pittsburgh, or who complain about a $50 room when something similar would start at $250 in Georgetown are so flawed in their frugality as to be able to find fault in virtually anything.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Yuppers!!!

It seems as though a little perspective would be helpful. Assuming that all mentioned prices are correct, consider what other places in the Caribbean/world would you be able to get:

$5 beers on a world class beach;

$10-20 dinners at that same beach;

$4-10 meals that are properly cooked and won't make you sick (many spots, but Rocky's in particular);

$50 hotel rooms 5 minutes from a beach, and $80 condos on the bay; and

express transportation to anywhere in town for $2, and to the next town over for between .50 and $20, depending on the mode of transportation.

My point is, when compared to Grand Cayman, Jamaica or the Bahamas, the North Coast represents a tremendous bargain for all that is available. For example, a burger and fries in a dump in Nassau can easily run a tourist $20. At Rocky's, a far nicer and more pleasant spot, it's about 5 bux.

I would submit that those who think they're being taken because they pay as much for a Presidente on the beach WHILE ON VACATION as they would for a beer in some hole in the wall joint in Pittsburgh, or who complain about a $50 room when something similar would start at $250 in Georgetown are so flawed in their frugality as to be able to find fault in virtually anything.

Well said.;)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The OP only needs to go 10 minutes East to Cabarete and he will see big time gouging.

Lax, which used to be very reasonable now charges 150rd for a beer. Any drink is 200-300rd.

Compare this to Sosua. You can get a Presidente for 50rd at Las Canas, or a local drink for 50rd. This is at the Pool bar.

I believe Rockys charges 60rd for a beer, but I may be wrong, Marco can correct me if I am off.

The bottom line is Sosua is higher than before, but prices have went up all over the DR. Still a bargain if you know where to go.

True, Lax got expensive BUT Cabarete is a bargain if you know where to go.... Onnos at 5-7 tapas half price, drinks half price 6-8, meaning niiiice food, good meal for 90 pesos, cuba or santo 45, niiiiice drink 70. at 9 they start the half price buckets of drinks, 225 for niiiiice drinks. Then in Cabarete u hear the waves, see the ocean, nice ambient, nice people... u will not like cabarete if u like to see a lot of hookers, hear the motorbikes and feel the smell of gasoline while u r eating.

Like pizza? Lax has half price pizza between 6-7 (?), my choice pitu, big pizza 140 on happy hour 6-8. Still no hookers or motoconchos though, if that is what u prefer.

Sosua has its places, I like the food at Romanofs and Rockys AND ok I am European... still I have been to North America, DR is cheap if you know where to go and when (A lot of very good happy hours deals in cabarete)

Last edited:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

True about prices at Lax, maybe he went into the Green Monster pub... Still Lax and Casanova has half price happy hours, half price beer, pizza and pasta at Casanova between 6 and 7 (maybe 5 to 6). I should write a happy hour guide...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You guys do not seem to know a killer restaurant off the beach in Cabarete with better prices than all your happy hours put together. I will give you a hint. It is German, but run by a Swiss National. Full every night, and off the beaten path.

It is simply the best German restaurant on the North Coast.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
You guys do not seem to know a killer restaurant off the beach in Cabarete with better prices than all your happy hours put together. I will give you a hint. It is German, but run by a Swiss National. Full every night, and off the beaten path.

It is simply the best German restaurant on the North Coast.

We kind of know...huge steak 270? I go there when I am hungry... Dusty road though...Happy hour awesome Indonesian Chicken satey at onnos - 95 pesos in happy hour? 20+ tapas for around 100 pesos, 1 enough if you are not that hungry, 2 you are full...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We kind of know...huge steak 270? I go there when I am hungry... Dusty road though...Happy hour awesome Indonesian Chicken satey at onnos - 95 pesos in happy hour? 20+ tapas for around 100 pesos, 1 enough if you are not that hungry, 2 you are full...

Close, but no cigar. You are talking about Cristians place. I have been eating at his restaurants for five years. This is a good place, but not the one I mean.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Close, but no cigar. You are talking about Cristians place. I have been eating at his restaurants for five years. This is a good place, but not the one I mean.

Ok the other side road then? The one that makes you think you are in the swiss alps? Good one too...BUT the sauce force me to buy new pants...