Thinking of moving to the Dominican Republic

Benadonia

Mar 24, 2015
The locals will happily guide you into a false sense of security, for sure. Then........................ I promise you that if you are looking at this like you are, then you will not ladt 2 seconds. You say you are not comparing to West Africa, but you are in presuming the people have the moral standards you may have experirnced in WA. Doms don't have moral code, at all.

Ok ye sure i have very little experience to what life is like in the Dr and i have no problem admitting that but apart from just giving up you would say any foreigner should avoid the local people because they have no morals? I've met nice and nasty people from all over the world and i would think the DR is no different, i'm sure your right in a lot of cases and i will definitely keep that in mined but it did sound like a bit of a generalisation of the Dominican people.

Thanks for warning

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Ok ye sure i have very little experience to what life is like in the Dr and i have no problem admitting that but apart from just giving up you would say any foreigner should avoid the local people because they have no morals? I've met nice and nasty people from all over the world and i would think the DR is no different, i'm sure your right in a lot of cases and i will definitely keep that in mined but it did sound like a bit of a generalisation of the Dominican people.

Thanks for warning

I have lived in the DR for a number of years, and this is how I see it: The DR is a third world country with very strong culture, if you may. Any (well, perhaps not any, but I hope I make a point) foreigner can do fine, if they are capable of learning how to act here. I can honestly say, that saying that Dominicans do not have morals, is incorrect. They might not have the same values as people from outside, but they do have morals. They might not show it the same way you do, or have the same morals as you do, but if you learn how to behave, you?ll do much better than if you don?t.

Example (not of morals, but of behaviour): I know of a "prestamista" (Dominican private person who loans money), of whom everyone knows. This person can travel with 50,000 pesos on a motoconcho, taking this money to the client, but nobody knows this. Nobody robs this person. A foreigner can walk talking to a cellphone worth less than 100 USD and gets robbed and mugged. Why, because of the difference how these two persons behave among other people. I admit there?s a higher risk of something bad happening if you are an expat, but there is a lot you can do by thinking of how you behave.

Try to learn as much Spanish as you can before being in the DR, and when in the DR, try to speak as little English as possible. You need to pick up as much of local Spanish as you can as fast as you can. It?s not impossible, but needs some work. This especially if you are not looking to live in an expat-community (which I understood that would be the case). If you are going to live among many expats, Spanish obviously has more inferior role, and you can do much better with limited knowledge. However, if you wish to live in an expat community, you might need to seriously think how you can cover the income side of your stay.

Only you will know if you like the DR, personally for the most part I do really like it. Not a fan of the heat and the lying and cheating us out of our money took me a while to get over but I have found some really great, responsible and trustworthy locals, just may take a while.
Lots of gringos are total dicks and I can see why they are treated badly.
Good luck!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hi

I am white english and from London and i'm thinking of moving to Dominican Republic with my girlfriend who is french Congolese, I have experience of living in West Africa and have no problem adjusting to the simplicities of less well off countries,

I assume your Gf is black and she speaks French... Dominicans will think that she is from Haiti... You are aware that Haitians arent really loved by the local Dominicans?

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Yeah, some people say they wouldn?t mind living a simple life, like the locals, but then they say something like "The only stuff I need is a little air conditioning, permanent electricity, hot showers and tofu."

And they forget that most Dominicans live with 20 people in one house with all relatives walking in and out the house.. Dont forget the Wi-Fi!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hi

I am white english and from London and i'm thinking of moving to Dominican Republic with my girlfriend who is french Congolese, I have experience of living in West Africa and have no problem adjusting to the simplicities of less well off countries, i am in the process of doing a TEFL and Spanish course as i was thinking this may be a good way of supporting my self while i settle in.

Dose any one know roughly how it would cost to rent a 1 bedroom flat in Santo Domingo or just out side possibly Santiago?

Im definitely not interested in any thing luxury or in any kind of gated community i just would like a normal small place in a dominican neighbourhood, electric and running water would be nice :)

Im sure if it is any thing like Africa there will be many complications along the way, my first thought is to spend a decent amount of time there to fined out what part of the DR suits me best and wether or not i can support my self, I guess the next step would be finding a good lawyer to educate me on the next steps.

Dose any one know the roughly the cost of a residency permit or wether or not is is just worth paying overstay fines?

If any one has any kind of advice or input would be much appreciated

France has sufficient islands in the Caribbean.. If you like to live safe and expensive go to Saint Barths..

if you prefer to live simple go to Guadelupe or Martinique!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Thanks for warning

Obviously it is a generalization, that is how we make opinion of places we like and dislike. And no, not 'in a lot of cases', I beg any resident to disagree that my opinions are of the overwhelming majority. You find good people among the rats, but even that one golden nugget will eventually let you down in the end, very very few people can contain those natural native instincts indefinately.
Obviously thier are always exceptions, but few and far between.

But anyway, get over, check it out for yourself if you can afford it. And if your first language is English then go work in a call centre where you are onky required to speak the language, I don't think you coukd hold your own among other teachers in a school environment.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Given my understanding of your circumstances I think you'd be better off starting with Haiti.

Plenty of NGO's out there and a few are probably looking for a 'project gringo' to do work.

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
Living expenses you will need atleast 3200 u.s. a month to cover expenses for 2 people.

Crime is rampant especially in poor places, so safety should be your first concern...specially if you happen to look gringo.

any apartment in a decent safe neighborhood will set you back between 700-1200 u.s.a month...furnished...

You will definately need a car ....public transportation is a mess and dangerous and in some places non existence. Set aside 600-700us for longterm rental and gas.

Insurance for 2 people around 200 dollars for 2 people a month

Food expenses and entertainment will put you back 500-700 us a month for 2 people...

Telephone, internet and cable about month 100

Miscellaneous expenditures 200-300 u.s. maid service, washing lady, purchase of necesseties etc.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP,

First, welcome to DR1!

It might be helpful to give us a sense of what you're trying to accomplish here. Do you want a "beach bum" existence, or are you looking at school, building a business, doing charity work, etc.?

What's your budget? Are you "city" folk, or do you want to live in the country/mountains/by the beach? How's your Spanish? Have you ever lived in the caribbean before?

Do you have a realistic idea of how much you'll bring with you for a budget (savings/investments/pension/non-DR-generated income? How long do you want to stay?

That way, you'll get much better information, especially now that the naysayers have already chimed in.

Either way, good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"White English"????????????????????

I've heard of "Black Irish", but not "White English".
What does that mean???????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
AND, "What Does It MATTER"???????

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Consult Afri

I am white english and from London and i'm thinking of moving to Dominican Republic with my girlfriend who is french Congolese, I have experience of living in West Africa....

I suggest, you get in touch with Africaida, she has her roots in West Africa and IMO is a very knowledgable traveller between cultures.

donP

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
btw, to the OP: dont listen to the b..it of the people who say that you need at least 2k USD to barely live in Santo Domingo
its gringo bulls...t. and its just funny.

In my opinion - if you know Spanish and if you dont have to have aircon in your flat and eat only imported food, you will be FINE with 1,000 usd/ month

it all depend on your lifestyle etc.

you can even live here for 700 usd/ month if you know what you do....

btw, to the OP: dont listen to the b..it of the people who say that you need at least 2k USD to barely live in Santo Domingo
its gringo bulls...t. and its just funny.

In my opinion - if you know Spanish and if you dont have to have aircon in your flat and eat only imported food, you will be FINE with 1,000 usd/ month

it all depend on your lifestyle etc.

you can even live here for 700 usd/ month if you know what you do....

Could never imagine living here on that little amount of money, but I like to be able to do what I want!

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
would you like to fly to Moon for 10 milion dollars ?
I also do what I like to do...well, except maybe that I would like to get massage every day from some Haitian girl, however with 700 $ total budget/ month its not possible...

there is never an end to the hunger and desire of consumptionism....
and since you can easily live in Spain, Italy, Czech Republic,Portugal or Poland with 1,000 usd/ month why I would pay more for my life in this 3 rd world place, where salaries of people are around 200 usd/ month ?
sounds a little ridiculous....
Could never imagine living here on that little amount of money, but I like to be able to do what I want!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
would you like to fly to Moon for 10 milion dollars ?
I also do what I like to do...well, except maybe that I would like to get massage every day from some Haitian girl, however with 700 $ total budget/ month its not possible...

there is never an end to the hunger and desire of consumptionism....
and since you can easily live in Spain, Italy, Czech Republic,Portugal or Poland with 1,000 usd/ month why I would pay more for my life in this 3 rd world place, where salaries of people are around 200 usd/ month ?
sounds a little ridiculous....

$700?! Good googly-moogly!

I'm hoping your place is already paid for, and you live up in the mountains, so comfortable without AC.

The last dude on this site claiming a budget at that level loved talking about seaweed salad, solar cookers, and personal nuclear reactors. (RIP, Yappy).

I mean, there are folk on this site who spend that in alcohol (and AA meeting dues) alone, how do you do it?