Thinking of moving to the Dominican Republic

would you like to fly to Moon for 10 milion dollars ?
I also do what I like to do...well, except maybe that I would like to get massage every day from some Haitian girl, however with 700 $ total budget/ month its not possible...

there is never an end to the hunger and desire of consumptionism....
and since you can easily live in Spain, Italy, Czech Republic,Portugal or Poland with 1,000 usd/ month why I would pay more for my life in this 3 rd world place, where salaries of people are around 200 usd/ month ?
sounds a little ridiculous....

If that's how you like to live then that is great but telling people they can live on that amount here will be very dissapointed to see what lifestyle they will be living!

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
Living on 2 people on 1000 dollars a day is impossible if you need basic lifestyle....it is too dangerous for a white person to live in the barrios around santo domingo..because crime situation in those places is not a matter of "if" you become a victim but ratter "when".

Getting around on foot is also very very dangerous...this country has the second highest fatality rate in the world...the public transportation is very hazardous...they put 6-7 people in cars were theres no functioning lights no seatbelt and motorcycles dont have helmet for passengers..so my advice is take taxies when you venture out...it is cheap and allways ask the cab company to send aircon cabs...they are usually in better shape

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I dont fell dissaiponted with my apartment in Las Terrenas for 230 usd/ month. Why would I ? I have a kitchen,fridge, fast WI FI, no cockroaches, laundry machine, TV....
comfortable 25-30 m2, for one person....200 meters to the beach....and I ve been hearing a lot of stories about "decent" apartments starting here from 800 usd/ month and so on blablabla
now, if someone is telling that to rent something decent in Santo Domingo you need at least 2 k USD... this is just ridiculous....
If that's how you like to live then that is great but telling people they can live on that amount here will be very dissapointed to see what lifestyle they will be living!

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
1,000 usd for two persons could be a little low, unless they know what they are doing and speak spanish....
I see no "security" problems in riding gua guas and so on. but of course its not comfortable at all. thats why I travel here by bike...
not sure if i would do it in Santo Domingo though....

On the other hand: why would I like to live in Santo Domingo ? its hell on earth ;-)
there are so many other beautiful areas in this country.....
Living on 2 people on 1000 dollars a day is impossible if you need basic lifestyle....it is too dangerous for a white person to live in the barrios around santo domingo..because crime situation in those places is not a matter of "if" you become a victim but ratter "when".

Getting around on foot is also very very dangerous...this country has the second highest fatality rate in the world...the public transportation is very hazardous...they put 6-7 people in cars were theres no functioning lights no seatbelt and motorcycles dont have helmet for passengers..so my advice is take taxies when you venture out...it is cheap and allways ask the cab company to send aircon cabs...they are usually in better shape

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Living on 2 people on 1000 dollars a day is impossible if you need basic lifestyle....it is too dangerous for a white person to live in the barrios around santo domingo.

Why the racial demarcation? Being stupid and careless will get you in harm's way just as quickly regardless of whether you're black, white, or green with purple stripes.

And I guarantee you, as an African American, I like good highways, reliable utilities, cheery customer service, Tar-zhay, "Game of Thrones" and those really good Indian and pizza spots around the corner from my house as much as anyone else, lol.

Not every place is as expensive as SD. Rents in Santiago can be half of those in Santo Domingo, and even less in small, non-touristy towns. Local food is obviously cheaper than imported, and so forth. That said, you'll pay extra if you 1) don't know Spanish, and 2) don't know DR.

dv8's suggestion of reviewing the "Living in the DR" thread is really the best place to start.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I live normally and I'm not hungry. AC is installed here, but I told them that I wont use it as it is unhealthy, so they lowered the price from 12,500 pesos to 10,500 pesos. ;-))
spending 700 usd on alcohol per month hm... is it called alcoholism ?
yesterday I drank some nice bottle of GOOD chilean wine for 185 pesos, I smoked few magic cigarettes - not from sea weed...I ate lasagna...I'm fine.
its really not that hard to live with 700-750 usd/ month here - if you dont pay for hookers (at least not more than 1 in 2 weeks), dont eat ONLY imported food, dont ALWAYS go to restaurants and dont spend ...well.. 700 usd month on booze/ coke ?
Now, if you will ask me, how Dominicans live with 200 usdmonth...that's the question ! But very often they dont pay for rent, as they live with their family...and the family also cook together, so....

$700?! Good googly-moogly!

I'm hoping your place is already paid for, and you live up in the mountains, so comfortable without AC.

The last dude on this site claiming a budget at that level loved talking about seaweed salad, solar cookers, and personal nuclear reactors. (RIP, Yappy).

I mean, there are folk on this site who spend that in alcohol (and AA meeting dues) alone, how do you do it?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
1,000 usd for 6 persons is mission impossible as for me....Even for 2 people it means that its really BASIC life.....
But try to support 6 on that and one comes out short. My social security is a bit less than $1000 a month, when I fiurst moved in with my lady her youngest son lived with her. SInce then her daughter and grandbaby and the oldest son have also moved in, I will soon be escaping if I cannot get one or more of them to help out with something.
Der Fish

ray718

May 28, 2010
Robbie says it best. You need to come here, and explore the country. The expenses you experience here are based on the lifestyle you choose to live. If you want to live like a first worlder-you are going to pay for it, because you are coming to third world country, and to live in first world status cost money. Are you going to get gringo priced? That is without a question even if you speak spanish (I am dominican american and still get gringoed sometimes), but you put a value on the item you wish to purchase, and make a personal judgement if you can afford it.

ray718

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
btw, to the OP: dont listen to the b..it of the people who say that you need at least 2k USD to barely live in Santo Domingo
its gringo bulls...t. and its just funny.

In my opinion - if you know Spanish and if you dont have to have aircon in your flat and eat only imported food, you will be FINE with 1,000 usd/ month

it all depend on your lifestyle etc.

you can even live here for 700 usd/ month if you know what you do....

Have you lived in Santo Domingo??? Even 2k seems a bit low to me for Santo Domingo. You must know that everything is more expensive in the Capital right?? Living here with just enough money to get by on is not really living. Things happen that you must be prepared for. OP come here spend sometime and see if you like it and it is doable financially for you. Only you can decide what you need and do not need in terms of lifestyle.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"i just would like a normal small place in a dominican neighbourhood, electric and running water would be nice"

Good luck.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
during my over 15 months here, there were maybe like 3-4 ATTEMPTS to cheat me.they all failed and the biggest one was for 500 pesos....
I would say that people are honest here....unless you will give them GOOD occasion/ possibility to cheat or rob you ;-))

and I'm gringo from Europe. I'm not even native spanish speaker....
Are you going to get gringo priced? That is without a question even if you speak spanish (I am dominican american and still get gringoed sometimes), .

ray718

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
its not, as there is a big competition over there. if you will leave Zona Colonial of course.
but I would never like to live there. its the worst place to live for the gringo in the whole country. Mostly for security reasons. Thats my opinion.
Have you lived in Santo Domingo??? You must know that everything is more expensive in the Capital right?? .

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
its almost the same in the whole country. Even in Santo Domingo you will find some decent apartment for 300 usd/ month..And I'm not talking about worst barrios, just something normal with normal people. not sure about 24h electricity though, lol...
Figure $200 a month or $300 if furnished. I am talking about Puerto Plata area. I don't konw others.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
On the eastern outskirts of Samana you could get something for $300-400 ish. Power about 10 hours per day, no hot water but you could survive it.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
very interesting what you say, as villas/GOOD apartments in Las terrenas are for 500 usd/ month - overall luxury standard, while I live in the place for 230 usd and its JUST OK.
2 rooms flats in center of Las terrenas are for around 300 usd/ month....
and Santa Barbara de Samana has 14 hours blackouts ? Also very interesting what you say.
hot water ? its 32 celsius degrees man, who would need it...:pP
On the eastern outskirts of Samana you could get something for $300-400 ish. Power about 10 hours per day, no hot water but you could survive it.

Benadonia

Mar 24, 2015
its almost the same in the whole country. Even in Santo Domingo you will find some decent apartment for 300 usd/ month..And I'm not talking about worst barrios, just something normal with normal people. not sure about 24h electricity though, lol...

Ye that was the sort of pricing i had in mined at least a good starting point, i'm sure its not to easy to fined a good place at a good price but we live pretty simple in London and figured we would have to do the same there. I think by the sound of it some people have allot of money to enjoy them selfs in the DR and my idea of a decent apartment would most probably be different to theirs.

Thanks for the post its good to hear its not impossible.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bella Italia

....and since you can easily live in (...) Italy, (...) with 1,000 usd/ month why I would pay more for my life in this 3 rd world place(...) ?

Interesting.
Tell me more about it... :classic:

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
"White English"????????????????????

I've heard of "Black Irish", but not "White English".
What does that mean???????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
AND, "What Does It MATTER"???????

I expect the same as an Afro American would use it to mention he is black, if he need to.

People feel more the need to declare themselves now as many, especially in England would not consider employing followers of certain religions, race etc.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
[/QUOTE]
I mean, there are folk on this site who spend that in alcohol (and AA meeting dues) alone, how do you do it?[/QUOTE]

Weekly, never mind monthly. God, that is such a miseable existance.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
YOu can buy a hot water on demand water heater fired by propane for less than $200.00 and take it with you when you go.

I have a 6 gallon plug in type at the cabin up north -- real handy. Even when the power goes out it stays pretty hot for awhile.