Thinking out loud.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have been watching a series of videos dedicated to the rebuilding of the Western Flyer, the fishing vessel chartered by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts for their 1940 expedition to the Gulf of California, the notes from which culminated in their 1951 book 'The Log from the Sea of Cortez'

It is being done by the Western Flyer Foundation and has been a fascinating voyage so far and very informative. ( I used to be a woodworker)

The reason I'm writing this is that in one of their recent episodes, they dedicated a little time to an initiative they have been doing which is donating meals to folks in need due to the Covid-19 epidemic.

Watching the folks who prepare the meals I noticed they used recyclable folding food plates which are configured the same as the styrofoam ones used here.

So the thinking out loud part is why aren't those recyclable plates and cups used here? Almost everything disposable here is recycled except for styrofoam plates (as far as I know)

Could it be cost?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are some initiatives involving materials like coconut husk, cassava, palm bark, and seaweed. If any of them can be mass-produced on a large scale and reasonable cost, they should replace single-use foam and plastic packaging.

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Even if the DR started using cardboard meal boxes like North America it would be great. Cardboard will eventually degrade unlike Styrofoam which pretty much lasts forever.
I recall the complaining that went on when the switch was regulated but its worked out great. I rarely see Styrofoam meal containers in western Canada now.
The one thing I don't think I will ever get used to is cardboard straws. They are horrible.

Reactions: JD Jones