This weekend it’s walking only in the Colonial City

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ciudad-Colonial-Diario-Libre.jpg

Santo Domingo city mayor Carolina Mejía has authorized that the Colonial City center be exclusively for pedestrians on Saturday, 17 October and Sunday, 18 October. The area is the historical and tourist area of the capital city.

The National Transit Institute (Intrant), the Traffic Safety Agency (Digesett), the Ministry of Tourism, and the Association of Shop Owners of the Colonial City are working together on this event. If all goes well, the weekend pedestrian plan could be extended.

As announced, this weekend vehicular traffic will be banned in the Colonial City on Saturday from 10am to 5pm and on Sunday from 1pm to 5pm. The plan is to motivate more people, local residents and tourists, to tour the historical center at a leisurely pace.

The central area of the Colonial City is the area between the streets: Mercedes, Meriño, Billini and Isabel la Católica. Traffic agents...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They should also ban the use of scooters, skateboards, bicycles, the battery powered trikes and other modes of travel on the streets sidewalks and especially el conde. I have had to get out of way of many of the afore mentioned while walking in the area. Cars in that area are normally not a problem

Reactions: campesinadeatl

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
They should also ban the use of scooters, skateboards, bicycles, the battery powered trikes and other modes of travel on the streets sidewalks and especially el conde. I have had to get out of way of many of the afore mentioned while walking in the area. Cars in that area are normally not a problem

I agree! The scooters especially shouldn't be allowed in the conde. They drive so fast and weave in between people.

The "walking only" is a little vague. I saw another article that said specific streets. Sounds like a traffic mess waiting to happen. It's so many ways to get out of la zona.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I for one am absolutely looking forward to this. I live in la zona. People walk down the middle of half the streets anyway because the sidewalks are too narrow. La zona should really be pedestrian only all the time (with allowances for residents and commercial deliveries) - with bicycles, skateboards and skates allowed on the roads. And I'd rather see/dodge an electric scooter than hear one of those obnoxious 2-stroke colmado bikes any day.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I for one am absolutely looking forward to this. I live in la zona. People walk down the middle of half the streets anyway because the sidewalks are too narrow. La zona should really be pedestrian only all the time (with allowances for residents and commercial deliveries) - with bicycles, skateboards and skates allowed on the roads. And I'd rather see/dodge an electric scooter than hear one of those obnoxious 2-stroke colmado bikes any day.
I lived in the zone for many years. your problem with the sidewalks an people walking in the street is due to the city maintenance no side walk repair not to mention that the sidewalks would be a lot wider without the cars parked(which is illegal :rolleyes: ) on them. prior to all the bike/or types of rentals there was no wheeled traffic allowed on El Conde, this included CESTER. I hear you on the colmado delivery's but they are currently the only wheeled traffic barred from El Conde an due to culture would not be barred from the streets as folks walk to the colmado.,
as far as the other streets in the area I would agree las Damas should be pedestrian, Duarte an Morino no as they are straight shots down from Mella.
Las Mercedes is also the only street that crosses the whole zone to parque independencia. Isabel la Catolica takes you out of the zone all the way down to the floating bridge. last but not least lots of apartments

Reactions: ChelseaRose