thoughts on gated communities, bars on windows etc.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
There are no visible bars on the apartments at the Malecon Center.
As per this thread, are people there living with a false sense of security?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
You are writing as someone who is not familiar with everyday life in the DR. You will be a lot happier and safer if you rent initially in a gated community that has a high presence of security and people. Do not rent a private house, especially in an isolated area. Once you have an idea of how things work here then you may change your thoughts. Security should be your #1 priority.

S

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I do not live in a gated community, never have and probably never will. We have bars for the big terrace doors but that is more handy to keep the dogs out of the house and be able to keep all windows open to catch that nice sea breeze.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
ok very interesting, but thats mainly for windows, what do recomment for doors? :)

I have gates over the doors as well. I installed a screen on them so they are a 'screen door' albeit one with 1/4" steel bars and frame. They have a slide bolt on the inside so you have to open them from the inside. The bolt has a handle on it that is too long for the bolt to be moved with the wooden door closed. Works great!

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
thanks everyone, will continue to look for a place and let you know what we choose. i don`t know what happened with my blanks, duuuuh did something wrong, will have to read more about posting properly

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
thanks everyone, will continue to look for a place and let you know what we choose. i don`t know what happened with my blanks, duuuuh did something wrong, will have to read more about posting properly

It's not you, they've been experiencing "technical difficulties" the last few days.

Good luck in your search.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
just to say that like most forms of security...."dogs" are also a false sense of security.
thieves can easily make use of tainted food to put the dogs to sleep (temporary sense...not permanent).
usually done in the middle of the day when the dogs are outside and can be easily distracted.
.....oh and the 'tainted food' is usually given to the dogs by someone both you and the dogs thought they could trust, but is easily corrupted by the potential robbers.

far fetched???? nope.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Couple dogs and shotguns are easier!!

~Dogs and guns are not necessarily to answer to a secure environment. I read just recently that a robber got in found the owners "gun" killed the (2) Large"Dogs" and still robbed the place....oh yeah and they slipped a child through the bars to open the door from the inside!!!!

~So many factors need to be considered when securing ones residence....no one thing is going to help secure it, its a combination of factors and location of residence....

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
just to say that like most forms of security...."dogs" are also a false sense of security.
thieves can easily make use of tainted food to put the dogs to sleep (temporary sense...not permanent).
usually done in the middle of the day when the dogs are outside and can be easily distracted.
.....oh and the 'tainted food' is usually given to the dogs by someone both you and the dogs thought they could trust, but is easily corrupted by the potential robbers.

far fetched???? nope.

oh my, lotsa thinking to do.............thanks for the information.
linda

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Totally agree with the above advice. All bars and door fixings in my home were done by a local tradesman using security fixings I imported from the UK.