thoughts on gated communities, bars on windows etc.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Olly makes a valid point about the costs of security measures. That's why I've developed a security strategy that deters intrudors and funds itself.

8.) Every July I construct my own "Alex's Lemonade Stand" on my front lawn. I have a 'guns for lemonade' program. Potential intruders are instantly drawn to my stand and cannot resist handing over their weapons for a glass of lemonade. I then trade the guns to local prostitutes for their Iphones. I sell the Iphones to tourists who have had their phones stolen by prostitutes. I use the proceeds from the Iphones to fund the lemonade stand and other security measures (and to fight cancer, of course). The prostitutes sell the guns to bandits who then attempt to rob me, but fall victim to the allure of my lemonade stand. In this way, I pretty much single-handedly keep the entire Dominican economy revolving.

Again, will have to tell hubby about this. He may like this idea better. Hey, got any more tips for me. Hilarious, thanks for the much needed laughs.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Security is about where you choose to live and just as importantly, the attitude you exhibit.
Axxsholes are much more likely to get hit.
Be a good neighbor.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank12,
It is really interesting that you say you have been on the Island for 47 years but have only signed on to DR1 in September 2011 ! Strange inconsistency !
Olly with a BIG "O" for WW

Olly,

Not that you would be interested--and god knows i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy--but, here is a link from DR1 the other day--posted in "Old Dominican Photos"...i'm the baby up in the cocunut tree being held by my father 1964 in Bonao; i'm also the baby on the cow--being held by my grandmother in Bonao 1964.
Old Dominican Photos pictures by ktmfrank - Photobucket

Frank

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Olly,

Not that you would be interested--and god knows i wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy--but, here is a link from DR1 the other day--posted in "Old Dominican Photos"...i'm the baby up in the cocunut tree being held by my father 1964 in Bonao; i'm also the baby on the cow--being held by my grandmother in Bonao 1964.
Old Dominican Photos pictures by ktmfrank - Photobucket
Frank

...and, what, you couldn't get Robert out of the womb fast enough to create DR1 so you could post back then? :cheeky:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
BelgianK ,
How many times have you been robbed now? And you are a bit out of date with the security measures in Costa Azul.

Olly

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
BelgianK ,
How many times have you been robbed now? And you are a bit out of date with the security measures in Costa Azul.

Olly

Belgiank had the night watch shift, so is still asleep. :)

We had two attempted robberies but none of the two groups got passed the dogs in time before police was there and they were very quick on the spot.
There were two robberies after that but one was in an empty house across from us and one was in the house of our neighbor who was away which they picked clean but must have been an inside job that one because there were no real forcing of the door so they must have had the key.
Same week there were two houses robbed in Casa Linda also.

And btw...we do not live in Costa Azul but in Casa De Joka which is not a gated community.

Acira

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BelgianK,
I think you have said that you have never lived in a GATED Community BelgianK - either in this thread or another so how would you know ???

Olly

You are rather confrontational. Did someone pee in your cornflakes. I don't live in a gated community but I have visited a couple. I've observed the security features and discussed with the people living there. It's enough to form an informed opinion, which is probably all BelgianK has done.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Bob, That post was last night at 5:30 pm. Cornflakes were fine this morning. Robbers are confrontational!!

Thanks Acira for being so honest !

Young Seniors if you are considering moving or living or retiring down here in DR then security is the most important aspect of having a good life down here. Tflea was right too!
With these posts hopefully you have got some more perspective about GATED communities and the costs . If you have enough to live in one it can be secure , peaceful and a pleasant experience.

Olly

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When asked why he "Robbed Banks",Willy Sutton replied,"Because THAT's where the money is"!
Having said that,I visit the "Metro Country Club" , in Juan Dolio,quite often,"Rich Friends",and altho it is a "Gated Community",the perimeter security is lax.However,once inside,there are security personel all over the grounds,especially in the residencial areas.
I would live there in a "heartbeat"!
If you have the resources to live in a gated community that has good security measures in place,I think it is "safer" than living in a stand alone house.Especially in more remote areas.
You MUST still be your #1 security guard!
CC

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Olly, I do really not know where you are going with your statements really.

We had a wave of robberies over the holiday's here but people who live here much longer then we, say that it is the first time. So I suggest you take that as it is, just bad luck.

We choose carefully where we want to live due to the fact that we have those dogs at first and we do not want to bother people with them but we choose also neighborhoods that are safe to live in and the only way to know that is talking to the people who live there and drive through the community and just watch.

If you drive through a non gated community, you can quickly see on the houses how the people feel. We have driven though non gated communities where people have lovely front gardens with no fences, no bars on the windows, gates open and we have driven through communities where every house had an alarm system, high walls and preferably some razor wire on top of that too.
We have driven through gated communities also and some had the same, places where every body was walking on the street, open houses and nice little open gardens and gated communities who seemed death, no people on the street and all casa's blocked with high walls and fences.

Acira

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
After being robbed, and having a huge barrier around my entire house, and bars on my windows and doors I have to mention that not only is it important to have bars, on your windows, etc.. but the location of the house is key.. Many of us Americans love the ?Quiet Neighborhood?and YES! I thought I was so safe in my ?Quiet Neighborhood?I have found at least here in Barahona, Safe means in the middle of LOTS of people.. that is where we are safest from break ins. My house was robbed, and my dog was killed with a gun.. He was just doing his job!

So lets think smartly and make sure bars and location are important!

Just my 2 pesos..