Three accused of attempted coup in Haiti seek refugee status in DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Protestas-en-Haiti-Listin-Diario-e1613482543673.jpeg

The former mayor of Port-au-Prince (Haiti), Chevry Youry Ralph, the former governor of the border city of Sacalasou, Werson Pierre, two officers of the Haitian Police, Antonine Maquendy and Wiquensont Despine seek status as refugees in the Dominican Republic. They irregularly crossed the border and were apprehended on the evening of 15 February 2021 by Army men in Dajabón, on the border with Haiti. Haiti President Jovenel Moise accuses them of organizing a coup attempt against him. The three ask the Dominican government not to return them to their country because they fear for their lives.

The Ministry of Defense reinforced border security after the worsening of the long-standing political and economic crisis in Haiti.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So they were caught entering illegally and then asked for asylum? Not sure I understand.
Easy to understand. Read the history of illegal entry into the U.S. by caravans for the past two years. It’s all right there for you to read on Google.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What does US immigration policy have to do with immigration policy in the 🇩🇴 ❓

As for Haitians, you know the rule.

If you are going to kill the King...
Don't miss‼️

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If these guys where trying to take over to better the Haitian way of life I would let them stay. If they are just 3 more greedy pigs trying to get at the trough, send them back. The last thing Haiti needs is more corrupt leaders.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If these guys where trying to take over to better the Haitian way of life I would let them stay. If they are just 3 more greedy pigs trying to get at the trough, send them back. The last thing Haiti needs is more corrupt leaders.
Not to worry, they're being sent back.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You're not supposed to send back someone who seeks refuge or asylum, even if they've entered illegally.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There you go with that North American thinking again. Those rules do not apply here.
Exactly Brother.
But can you blame them.
For many posting here it is a lifetime paradigm you are asking them to move away from.
Change is hard...
🤣

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
So they were caught entering illegally and then asked for asylum? Not sure I understand.
That being the case, I am not sure if the three of them together have the brainpower to run a country. Its not like crossing the border one way or another has caused others much trouble in the past.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't think they are actual rules. I believe certain countries have adopted them to appease the bleeding heart crowd.

These guys broke the laws in their country and then ran for the hills to avoid the consequences. If they had gotten away with it then you would almost certainly see them gloating about it.

As I said in my original post on this, if they where trying to improve the situation in Haiti, then let them stay. Even go so far as to teach them a better way to do it. But if their failed coup was just to get a bigger share for themselves then deport them immediately and let them face the music they started.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There you go with that North American thinking again. Those rules do not apply here.
I'm a local and I don't think that this administraton wants bad press. The Government cares about what the international community thinks. If they were to return someone who had asked for refuge, and then they ended up losing their lives, the D.R. would take a lot of heat.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm a local and I don't think that this administraton wants bad press. The Government cares about what the international community thinks. If they were to return someone who had asked for refuge, and then they ended up losing their lives, the D.R. would take a lot of heat.
A lot of heat from who? Unless these guys where sanctioned from people way higher than our pay grade no one will ever here from them again.