Advertising in Spanish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most real estate projects in the DR were targetted to and were bought by Dominicans and there are tourist place where Dominicans are the drivjng force in real estate purchases (Juan Dolio, La Romana, Punta Cana - Bávaro, Las Terrenas). With that trend, I don't see why tourist areas like Cabarete should be spared.

With that said, areas where expats buy in relative concentrations such as Sosúa and even Cabarete have always been very few compared to all the real estate people buy nationwide. What is a little worrisome is that even in areas where new real estate is sold to Dominicans who account for over 95% of purchasers, now skme of those areas are seeing advertisement (if informal) in English. This is worrisome because foreigners have the ability to increase real estate prices if they beckme numerous enough, essentially outpricing Dominicans. If this becomes a trend in most or every middle class area of the DR, Dominicans will find it even harder to afford real estate prices beyond tourist areas.

Take this one as an example. By no means is this in a tourist area or even near one. Purchasers of real estate not just here, but in the entire Santo Domingo area are overwhelmingly Dominicans regardless if it's a luxury property, a comfortable one or a simple one. Yet, here is an informal advertisement of this project in English!!!

Quite frankly, I think this shouldn't be allowed. Formal or informal advertisements of property can be in multiple languages if they are in designated tourists zones, elsewhere Spanish only. Last thing desirable is with time have expats dominating areas that essentially are for Dominicans, particularly middle class areas where a Dominican family that starts poor is able to purchase as their socioeconomic possibilities move up. They will not be able to do that if prices increases to ridiculous levels.

There is also another American couple that bought an apartment nearby. It's great they found a place, but this is a mostly Dominican area away from tourist zones and the new complex is targetting a mostly Dominican clientele. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend, because the only ones to be further hurt by its consequences are Dominicans, particularly those that spend all their lives working hard and saving to find a place and they can't get one because foreigners are pricing them out in their own country.

These are real estate sales, not renting.
Real estate signs should be in whatever language the sellers wants them in. If I was selling real estate I would have my signs/ads in both English and Spanish, that way attracting more potential clients.

Reactions: windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Real estate signs should be in whatever language the sellers wants them in. If I was selling real estate I would have my signs/ads in both English and Spanish, that way attracting more potential clients.
They shouldn't in the same way radio stations are obligated to be in Spanish and only with a special permission from the government can one or two be in any other language. The same applies to other things such ad books published in the country, road signs, documents such as birth certificates, cédulas, driver licence, etc. That law needs to be ammended to extend to real estate advertising outside designated areas.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They shouldn't in the same way radio stations are obligated to be in Spanish and only with a special permission from the government can one or two be in any other language. The same applies to other things such ad books published in the country, road signs, documents such as birth certificates, cédulas, driver licence, etc. That law needs to be ammended to extend to real estate advertising outside designated areas.
Disagree, all the above mentioned are government procedures whereas real estate is private enterprise. Governments only interest should be in collect the taxes, fees and legality of the sale of the land in question, nothing else.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Disagree, all the above mentioned are government procedures whereas real estate is private enterprise. Governments only interest should be in collect the taxes, fees and legality of the sale of the land in question, nothing else.
All private enterprises are subject to government rules and regulation, not the other way around. There is a reason for that.

The same with individuals. I know a few people who were forced to sell their homes and properties to the government (and at the price the government said it will pay which was never the true value of the properties) because they needed the land to expand some road or create some other project. Ever heard of anyone forcing the government to sell one of their buildings to a private party? Exactly and there is a reason for that.

Government officials cone knocking at your door and want your property, basically you can't say no and get away with it. Either you sell it to them or they force you out of your own home by declaring it public domain.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All private enterprises are subject to government rules and regulation, not the other way around. There is a reason for that.

The same with individuals. I know a few people who were forced to sell their homes and properties to the government (and at the price the government said it will pay which was never the true value of the properties) because they needed the land to expand some road or create some other project. Ever heard of anyone forcing the government to sell one of their buildings to a private party? Exactly and there is a reason for that.

Government officials cone knocking at your door and want your property, basically you can't say no and get away with it. Either you sell it to them or they force you out of your own home by declaring it public domain.
What does any of that have to do with advertising in another Language besides Spanish? Is there a law that says all commence must be conducted in Spanish only?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most real estate projects in the DR were targetted to and were bought by Dominicans and there are tourist place where Dominicans are the drivjng force in real estate purchases (Juan Dolio, La Romana, Punta Cana - Bávaro, Las Terrenas). With that trend, I don't see why tourist areas like Cabarete should be spared.
Perhaps. How many Dominicans are in Casa Linda's many phases, at Encuentro or in Sea Horse Ranch, Perla Marina, Costa Azul, El Choco, Sosua Ocean Village?
With that said, areas where expats buy in relative concentrations such as Sosúa and even Cabarete have always been very few compared to all the real estate people buy nationwide. What is a little worrisome is that even in areas where new real estate is sold to Dominicans who account for over 95% of purchasers, now skme of those areas are seeing advertisement (if informal) in English. This is worrisome because foreigners have the ability to increase real estate prices if they beckme numerous enough, essentially outpricing Dominicans. If this becomes a trend in most or every middle class area of the DR, Dominicans will find it even harder to afford real estate prices beyond tourist areas.

Of course the north coast is a small drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the DR. People will sell for what they can get.
Take this one as an example. By no means is this in a tourist area or even near one. Purchasers of real estate not just here, but in the entire Santo Domingo area are overwhelmingly Dominicans regardless if it's a luxury property, a comfortable one or a simple one. Yet, here is an informal advertisement of this project in English!!!

Quite frankly, I think this shouldn't be allowed. Formal or informal advertisements of property can be in multiple languages if they are in designated tourists zones, elsewhere Spanish only. Last thing desirable is with time have expats dominating areas that essentially are for Dominicans, particularly middle class areas where a Dominican family that starts poor is able to purchase as their socioeconomic possibilities move up. They will not be able to do that if prices increases to ridiculous levels.
Absolute nonsense about what language can be used for advertising. Expect to see Chinese soon.
There is also another American couple that bought an apartment nearby. It's great they found a place, but this is a mostly Dominican area away from tourist zones and the new complex is targetting a mostly Dominican clientele. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend, because the only ones to be further hurt by its consequences are Dominicans, particularly those that spend all their lives working hard and saving to find a place and they can't get one because foreigners are pricing them out in their own country.
This sounds a bit racist or nationalistic , no? Sales that target only locals and you like it that way? Wow....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What does any of that have to do with advertising in another Language besides Spanish? Is there a law that says all commence must be conducted in Spanish only?
Like the law that states all merchandise sold in the DR must have a Spanish label?

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Perhaps. How many Dominicans are in Casa Linda's many phases, at Encuentro or in Sea Horse Ranch, Perla Marina, Costa Azul, El Choco, Sosua Ocean Village?
Not as many as are in Los Samanes, Quintas de Pontezuela, Palmeras, Cerros de Gurabo, Roble, Canas, Copal I, Copal II and those a few of the total in Santiago, which no question has more Dominicans in middle class and up than there are expats in the whole country. There are plenty of others in Santiago and in most medium to large cities nationwide. Then there is Casa de Campo which is the oldest gated community and about 70% of properties are owned by Dominicans.

Absolute nonsense about what language can be used for advertising. Expect to see Chinese soon.
No it isn't.

This sounds a bit racist or nationalistic , no? Sales that target only locals and you like it that way? Wow....
Call it whatever you want. Advertiding needs to be in Spanish only in much of the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Of course the north coast is a small drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the DR. People will sell for what they can get.

Yes, just a tinge Xenophobic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not as many as are in Los Samanes, Quintas de Pontezuela, Palmeras, Cerros de Gurabo, Roble, Canas, Copal I, Copal II and those a few of the total in Santiago, which no question has more Dominicans in middle class and up than there are expats in the whole country. There are plenty of others in Santiago and in most medium to large cities nationwide. Then there is Casa de Campo which is the oldest gated community and about 70% of properties are owned by Dominicans.

No it isn't.

Call it whatever you want. Advertiding needs to be in Spanish only in much of the DR.
I could personally care less how many Dominicans live in those areas that I have no interest in or in the new project on the hill and then down the hill closer to Sosua Beach after they remove the Casitas. But I do expect it will be far more expats than locals.

Is there a law that states all advertising in the DR must be in Spanish? I certainly don't feel that all advertising "must" be in Spanish unless there is such a law.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I. Spanish as Official Language
Dominican Republic Law 5136 declares Castilian (“or Spanish”) as the official language of the Dominican Republic, providing that it is mandatory to use this language before the Central Government entities and its decentralized institutions.
III. All document filings in Spanish
Article 2 of Law 5136 foresees that any request, claim or presentation to be made before any Central Government entities or their dependencies shall be made in writing or orally, depending on the applicable procedure, in Spanish language, or it will not be considered valid, meaning that any evidence or documents written in a language different than Spanish are often invalidated or disregarded by DR judicial Courts.

IV. Mandatory translation by DR legal interpreters
Law 5136 provides that DR legal interpreters shall translate into Spanish any documents written or issued in a language different from Spanish, to be filed before or presented to the public authorities.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using the information from the Deslinde Notice which was there few months ago on a sign next to the main road and that I saved on my phone, I managed to get the contact number of one of the developers of this new project, a Dominican entrepreneur and member of the company which deslinded this land lot. I contacted him and he was kind enough to reply to my message and to explain me that there is no plan to build high rise buildings, apparently the whole project is still in a early development phase and there are no imminent plans to build. From what I understood they will build but not so soon and it will not be high rise buildings and it will not cause inconvenience to Los Cerros: that sounded somewhat reassuring to me. I was worried about hundreds of apartments and thousands of new residents in such a small neighborhood as Los Cerros with limited resources and infrastructure but I have been told this will not happen. Trees are gone sadly but at least there should be no more surprises. For what it is worth this is the best information I managed to get, not just hearsay.
And you believed that response? Oh my...
The check is in the mail.

Reactions: Gadfly and ctrob

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I. Spanish as Official Language
Dominican Republic Law 5136 declares Castilian (“or Spanish”) as the official language of the Dominican Republic, providing that it is mandatory to use this language before the Central Government entities and its decentralized institutions.
III. All document filings in Spanish
Article 2 of Law 5136 foresees that any request, claim or presentation to be made before any Central Government entities or their dependencies shall be made in writing or orally, depending on the applicable procedure, in Spanish language, or it will not be considered valid, meaning that any evidence or documents written in a language different than Spanish are often invalidated or disregarded by DR judicial Courts.

IV. Mandatory translation by DR legal interpreters
Law 5136 provides that DR legal interpreters shall translate into Spanish any documents written or issued in a language different from Spanish, to be filed before or presented to the public authorities.
I am well aware of the official language used for all government business and legal contracts.

Don't see anything in the laws about requiring signage selling property only in Spanish.
I think NALS is barking up the wrong mahogany tree on that issue. Pun intended.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am well aware of the official language used for all government business and legal contracts.

Don't see anything in the laws about requiring signage selling property only in Spanish.
I think NALS is barking up the wrong mahogany tree on that issue. Pun intended.
I looked through several sites on laws regarding advertising and marketing in the DR, all law firms involved in foreign companies doing business in the DR. Nada on only Spanish.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You are still missing the point, perhaps on purpose. Labels are not advertizing real estate nor does the law say must be in Spanish only.
Certainly some people are missing the point and perhaps it's on purpose, but it sure isn't ne.

Reminders of my other posts in this thread. Sure, anyone could simply go back in the thread and read them since it's for all to see since it's written. But this should make that part easier.

There is no point in pretending something was said when it wasn't when what was actually said is written and readily available for all. In fact, it's visible for all when you two decided to put words that were never there and then continue to debate that as if that's what was said.

Like the law that states all merchandise sold in the DR must have a Spanish label?

No it isn't.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Certainly some people are missing the point and perhaps it's on purpose, but it sure isn't ne.

Reminders of my other posts in this thread. Sure, anyone could simply go back in the thread and read them since it's for all to see since it's written. But this should make that part easier.

There is no point in pretending something was said when it wasn't when what was actually said is written and readily available for all. In fact, it's visible for all when you two decided to put words that were never there and then continue to debate that as if that's what was said.
So, at this point there is no law/regulation that says real estate advertising must be exclusively in Spanish. This is only a desire of yours.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So, at this point there is no law/regulation that says real estate advertising must be exclusively in Spanish. This is only a desire of yours.
From the very start I have been saying the law needs to be ammended to make advertiding on Spanish only except in some places.

Plus, it's all in writing for everyone to see and in fact, it was right in front of you from the start. Unless you suffer from some sort of dissability such as dislexia or reading comprehension problems, I don't see how anyone can miss it, especially someone debating about it.

Seems to me from the start the issue were Windeguy and you, the only ones debating this. Tell us why is that. Don't worry, most of us understand whst we read the first time around.

Last edited: