Timesharing

abe

Jan 2, 2002
the chances you take can be reduced by...

The most reasonable way to purchase timesharing is to do it via referrals from satisfied, long term owners at the resort you are considering. At the risk of appearing to be a shill, I must restate that, for example, Sunset Resorts seems to have a large core of satisfied members who have not suffered what others on this board have suffered. They come back to the resort in Cabarete every year and find an improving property and are satisfied with their purchase.

You will find very few promoters who will let you talk to their existing owners--these people at Sunset will. As for the ultimate consumer protection of getting your money back after x number of years of use, I repeat that no one in the world offers that. No "developed" country, no "evolved legal system", no one, no where. Just how paternal can a government be, after all? If you expect the government to do that, you should not be concerned that they are tapping your telephone or reading your e-mail.

Talk to existing owners, look at the track record, do not accept the bogus financing at usurious rates quoted elsewhere. Sunset lets its potential members take the time to arrange financing at home--the reason that other timeshare promoters provide financing at the point of sale is to get you "on paper" then and there. It's all part of the emotional mill that you go through in the sales process.

The great irony is that millions of families are very happy with their timeshare purchases around the world, but they weren't at all happy the day they bought it--they left those sales offices wrung out like yesterday's laundry, but now--after using it for years-- they like what they bought.

To be very frank, Luis, you seem too worried to ever be satisfied with such a purchase, so you should probably just keep doing what you are doing for vacations. As I said in a previous post, your life will be just fine with or without timeshare.

Good luck.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: the chances you take can be reduced by...

abe said:
As I said in a previous post, your life will be just fine with or without timeshare.

Good luck. [/B]

While I have no personal experience with timeshare, I have seen to many tourist being duped by timeshare salespeople.

See Hlywud experience as well.

Just stay away from timeshare, you will be way better off.
Sleep better .

I have no personal interest in what ever you do.
So it is unbiased.
Abe's advise? He sounds timeshare connected.
But do take his last advise your life will be just as fine
without timeshare.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
paul--I liked Hollywood's blanket statement better than yours!

He said he still has the cheap blankets. But your "blanket statement" about timesharing is a little much--I am getting pretty tired of the topic, but I will say that there are, for example, a quarter of a million families in the Marriott Vacation Club alone who seem pretty happy with what they own.

It's not always about saving money--it's often about committing to an annual vacation (because putting xx thousand dollars and vacationing off the interest may not actually result in annual vacations). Or it's about having something to brag about at cocktail parties, etc. because people refer to it as "my condo" in the Rockies,or wherever.

For people who are inordinately worried about being taken to the cleaners, they should buy from a big brand name--and they should do it only if they aren't going to deprive themselves of sleep counting every last dollar that goes toward their vacation.

I am now going to suggest that the thread probably could stop here. It's not a discussion that is going to unearth anything really new--there will always be sharks and there will always be legitimate operators.

Enjoy the DR no matter how you get there.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Timeshares

Every Timeshare deal that I have seen, is a total ripoff. Even RCI, which Hlywud referred to, Once you add the maintinence fees and the initial costs (in US of course) you can aleays get a 1 week package from a tour company for the same price or better and go when you want and don't have any worrys about the company going under! In my opinion stay away from them all....they are good for one person and that's the one who is selling them!
My buddie bought one for 5,000.00 and plus 160 maintinece fees , for 26 weeks. Which worked out to about 670.00 dollars per week CAD, and you can get A-I packages for 750.00, without no big outlay up front, and no worries about the company having problems!

Luis

Jan 21, 2002
"there will always be sharks and there will always be legitimate operators"

I appreciate all your coments and even personal experiences regarding this topic. At last you can always get good deals and bad deals on everything, the key point in my humble opinion is to always ask, investigate and learn to swim before jumping into deep waters; life's too short to stress oneself that much and I've visited the DR in several occasions and loved it.

Thank you all.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Suits by Nonresidents

El Jefe, a nonresident cannot sue a Dominican national or a legal resident in court without posting a bond, usually quite high. A legal resident is exempt from this requirement.