Tipping at All-Inclusive Resorts

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I've said before, when I travel I always buy a couple of packs of 2 dollar bills for tips. People never forget you when you give them some of those. It also helps me put some extra thought into how much to give for each person. Think about it.
They will especially never forget you if you inadvertently make them rich.
lol.

You probably knew that when you posted.
Right?
I guess they were considered bad luck for a while and I even thought they had been taken out of circulation.
Anyways...
As you can see, I thought about it.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Maybe we can have less back and forth, the topic is tipping at an AI. Does the level of resort affect tips...meaning do people tip less at a 2–3-star resort as opposed to a 4–5-star resort?
The only thing i was curious about, when tipping does the person you tip keep the tip, or does it go into a pool to be split up later?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The only thing i was curious about, when tipping does the person you tip keep the tip, or does it go into a pool to be split up later?
Personally I believe that it's on a case by case basis. The maid I tip at the hotel is probably keeping it. The wait staff in plain view of everyone is probably pooling it with the rest of the staff.

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They will especially never forget you if you inadvertently make them rich.
lol.

You probably knew that when you posted.
Right?
I guess they were considered bad luck for a while and I even thought they had been taken out of circulation.
Anyways...
As you can see, I thought about it.
I had a few hundred silver certificate 2 dollar bills for many years that my father left me. They were in a shoe box with the bible he bought for me when I was born.

My gardener decided he needed them more than I did, along with all of my gold jewelry.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I had a few hundred silver certificate 2 dollar bills for many years that my father left me. They were in a shoe box with the bible he bought for me when I was born.

My gardener decided he needed them more than I did, along with all of my gold jewelry.
So...
What you're saying is that they were, indeed, bad luck?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Time to tighten up security over there. Set yourself up with a home monitoring system like Ring. Catch all the maids stealing sopitas and toilet paper!

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Never put your tip in the pool. Many Dominicans can’t swim. There is often a tip jar. Please use that.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This is the Most twisted upside down Comment here yet .
Where did he say that ?

I may disagree with Big on this Topic , for my own reasons . and Im Not cheap, but I was also taught in Europe to NOT tip too heavy ,or the Woman or Girl would immediately think I am trying to BUY her .. So my reasons are different for disagreeing with him
But I am not going to twist someone's Words .. I will just disagree for my own reasons ..

I think your NO Tip Police Policy is just Horrible management ... if you cant allow your Employees to accept tips .cuz you cant keep them from FIGHTING with each other AND they threaten to QUIT on you ?
that sounds like a Management problem to me .

Anyone who knew my business knew I had a reputation for looking after my staff. People were always keen to work for me because my mantra is to treat staff with dignity and respect, to pay them a good wage, to pay them on time, to pay them their service charges in full and no to expect them to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

Managing a hotel in DR has honestly been the hardest job I have ever had. In any hospitality business though, tips and how they are shared, and who gets what are some of the thorniest problems you have to cope with. Sometimes a punter like you thinks "ah let me just help this poor Dominican girl and give her $100" and all of a sudden we then have zero service going to other guests because all the staff are running around said guest trying to get their $100, we have someone else gossiping saying that they reckon you're sleeping with each other, and they didn't like that girl anyway and blah blah blah.

About six months ago I recruited a brilliant receptionist. Completely bilingual, really good experience, happy to do our rotas, everyone liked him. One day a customer asked him to book a tour to Saona. The tour company came and gave the commission which was US$ 10 from memory. He wanted to put it in his pocket, his coworkers said it should be shared, my view was it belonged to the hotel however I didn't press the point as it wasn't a biggie. A massive massive argument broke out, everyone was at each other's throats for days. And then he walked out. All over $10. I was so unhappy, good staff like him are like hen's teeth and was such a stupid reason to lose someone. I'm telling that story just to show that emotions run high and quite often a little amount of money causes a huge problem. Much better that everyone just gets their contracted wages and service charge, honestly.

There is a reason that cruise ships include tips in their fares now, there is a reason that large hospitality chains have a no tipping policy.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Never put your tip in the pool. Many Dominicans can’t swim. There is often a tip jar. Please use that.

There is usually a policy, which only some people follow, and everyone suspects that everyone else is stealing tips from them somehow.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Anyone who knew my business knew I had a reputation for looking after my staff. People were always keen to work for me because my mantra is to treat staff with dignity and respect, to pay them a good wage, to pay them on time, to pay them their service charges in full and no to expect them to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

Managing a hotel in DR has honestly been the hardest job I have ever had. In any hospitality business though, tips and how they are shared, and who gets what are some of the thorniest problems you have to cope with. Sometimes a punter like you thinks "ah let me just help this poor Dominican girl and give her $100" and all of a sudden we then have zero service going to other guests because all the staff are running around said guest trying to get their $100, we have someone else gossiping saying that they reckon you're sleeping with each other, and they didn't like that girl anyway and blah blah blah.

About six months ago I recruited a brilliant receptionist. Completely bilingual, really good experience, happy to do our rotas, everyone liked him. One day a customer asked him to book a tour to Saona. The tour company came and gave the commission which was US$ 10 from memory. He wanted to put it in his pocket, his coworkers said it should be shared, my view was it belonged to the hotel however I didn't press the point as it wasn't a biggie. A massive massive argument broke out, everyone was at each other's throats for days. And then he walked out. All over $10. I was so unhappy, good staff like him are like hen's teeth and was such a stupid reason to lose someone. I'm telling that story just to show that emotions run high and quite often a little amount of money causes a huge problem. Much better that everyone just gets their contracted wages and service charge, honestly.

There is a reason that cruise ships include tips in their fares now, there is a reason that large hospitality chains have a no tipping policy.
madam, I am not sure what hospitality chain you are speaking of, however in Santo Domingo all gratuities are accepted with a huge smile and a thank you.

Reactions: Liberator and jd426

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Maybe you weren't tipping him enough(?)

• Haha
Reactions: Liberator

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Maybe you weren't tipping him enough(?)
He was getting paid very well so I'm sure he felt it when he was let go. He probably sold the gold for 10% of it's value (all custom-made pieces) and probably didn't even get face value on the bills.
The Bible was the one that hurt them most.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Keeping valuables in the garden, probably not a good idea. Hosting the gardener in the house likewise.
I had flower pots in each window to help hide the bars on the windows. He was the one who showed me not to trust persons de confianza

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
I find the American mandatory tipping culture repulsive and wish they would look at Europeans as an example. Tipping is and should always be VOLUNTARY. Not tipping in an AI-Resort has nothing to do with stiffing. As opposed to the USA in the Dominican Republic service personnel has a salary and employee benefits that are way above minimum wage. Yes, it is ok to leave something for housekeeping or for exceptional service, but there is no need to tip the bartender so he "remembers you" or gives you some sort of preferred treatment. That's his job.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I find the American mandatory tipping culture repulsive and wish they would look at Europeans as an example. Tipping is and should always be VOLUNTARY. Not tipping in an AI-Resort has nothing to do with stiffing. As opposed to the USA in the Dominican Republic service personnel has a salary and employee benefits that are way above minimum wage. Yes, it is ok to leave something for housekeeping or for exceptional service, but there is no need to tip the bartender so he "remembers you" or gives you some sort of preferred treatment. That's his job.
You find American tipping culture "repulsive"? Don't you think that is a tad extreme, furthermore it is not "mandatory". Thankfully we move in entirely different social circles as I know of no man or woman who does not leave a gratuity to a deserving service staff. "That's his job" is just another excuse to stiff a service worker. It is not my favorite excuse however, "they will get fired" or/and " it causes problems for the hotel" are tops.