Tipping at All-Inclusive Resorts

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I find the American mandatory tipping culture repulsive and wish they would look at Europeans as an example. Tipping is and should always be VOLUNTARY. Not tipping in an AI-Resort has nothing to do with stiffing. As opposed to the USA in the Dominican Republic service personnel has a salary and employee benefits that are way above minimum wage. Yes, it is ok to leave something for housekeeping or for exceptional service, but there is no need to tip the bartender so he "remembers you" or gives you some sort of preferred treatment. That's his job.
A little early for this rabble rousing dribble, hop on the bandwagon low-end, repetitive content.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
We tip restaurant and cleaning staff, but not bartenders. Last time we went to a resort we tipped the waiters $100-$150 pesos each time we went to eat. At the restaurants, we tipped everyone who waited on us, except for the ones who were more focused on gringos. Like a waiter who told us he couldn't get us juice and that there was this rule we needed to go get it ourselves, which was not true. We tipped the cleaning lady on the last day we were leaving.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Please, for the love of all things good, stop beating this topic like a redheaded stepchild. It's becoming like the overstay topic and we don't want to go down that road again. Let's move on to something more refreshing and enjoyable!

Attachments

• Presidente!!!.png
    Presidente!!!.png
    552.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Haha
Reactions: Unit5

Unit5

Jun 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
For a 1 week AI, I usually take 50 x 1USD bills for tipping buffet staff and bartenders. I usually leave about 5 or 10 USD's and remaining pesos (if i have any left over) for cleaning staff.

If there's any attitude or disrespect shown toward me; then nada!

Life is tough for these Dominicans and every little bit helps.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
For a 1 week AI, I usually take 50 x 1USD bills for tipping buffet staff and bartenders. I usually leave about 5 or 10 USD's and remaining pesos (if i have any left over) for cleaning staff.

When I was a freshman at an unknown university, supposedly known for a “rock” and its orange uniforms, in the western part of The State of South Carolina, my football player bearded roommate took me to a strip club for my 18th bday and made nose cone dollar bill tips for the lovely ladies, little did I know way back then how long the dollar bill tip would go on!

• Haha
Reactions: Big

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Why tipping in US Dollars?

Reactions: cavok

Unit5

Jun 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
When I was a freshman at an unknown university, supposedly known for a “rock” and its orange uniforms, in the western part of The State of South Carolina, my football player bearded roommate took me to a strip club for my 18th bday and made nose cone dollar bill tips for the lovely ladies, little did I know way back then how long the dollar bill tip would go on!
apart from saying that you are really old, you also like to draw conclusions and judgements and show how witty you are.
So, you're saying that a dollar tip is useless? are you trying to slight me? did I mention that i tipped a dollar?

You must be bored!

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
apart from saying that you are really old, you also like to draw conclusions and judgements and show how witty you are.
So, you're saying that a dollar tip is useless? are you trying to slight me? did I mention that i tipped a dollar?

You must be bored!
I guess 53 is old 😩I should have done better

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A peso to a Dominican is the same as a dollar to an American. A dollar tip for them is like you getting a 55 dollar tip in the states.

Get away from an environment influenced by dollars, and you quickly see how valuable a peso is to Dominicans.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You missed this:

"Get away from an environment influenced by dollars, and you quickly see how valuable a peso is to Dominicans"
It’s still wayyyy off. The value of money is known to the common folk by what a dollar or peso buys in any economic period. There is no way. 6 dollars gets you a good quality dozen eggs in the US. 6 pesos gets you one egg in DR. I like what @Big says “if you’re going to tip a dollar may as well give them the middle finger”

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One more time: Get away from an environment influenced by dollars.

I have watched Dominicans thousands of times arguing over 1 peso.

How many times have you seen an article about someone shot over 100 pesos.

A peso is important to a Dominican and they are acutely aware of how little it buys.

Reactions: jd426

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
One more time: Get away from an environment influenced by dollars.

I have watched Dominicans thousands of times arguing over 1 peso.

How many times have you seen an article about someone shot over 100 pesos.

A peso is important to a Dominican and they are acutely aware of how little it buys.
One more time: horse hockey! I also don’t know where you saw Dominicans arguing over one peso. Maybe when you got to DR in 1967

• Wow
Reactions: Liberator

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
You missed this:

"Get away from an environment influenced by dollars, and you quickly see how valuable a peso is to Dominicans"

Your 40 years experience of living in the DR obviously means nothing here, among the educated at a fancy britches University in South Carolina .
LMFAO ..

I am starting to see that we cant use Examples, or metaphors up in here .
Some folks here would even dispute this old wise saying
" watch the pennies and the dollars will watch themselves"
claiming that Pennies are not people and dont even have eyes.

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Your 40 years experience of living in the DR obviously means nothing here, among the educated at a fancy britches University in South Carolina .
LMFAO ..

I am starting to see that we cant use Examples, or metaphors up in here .
Some folks here would even dispute this old wise saying
" watch the pennies and the dollars will watch themselves"
claiming that Pennies are not people and dont even have eyes.
There you go again, trying to pull me onto your illiterate blue collar merry-go-round. I’m surprised that you would say University of SC! Close, however. Thank God you put all those SkyMiles business articles to work for you sir. Have a blessed evening!