Tipping

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Not too far off topic, how about the shoe shine guy. Most, when I ask what I owe them, mutter something about whatever I wish. I usually say "if you don't even know what your work is worth here is a cinco," as I give him 25 pesos. What do others pay. Acoupe of years ago my mujer of the month was with me and a guy said 200 pesos for a shoe shine, she kicked at him and told me to give him 25. SO when they don't even know what they want to charge that is what I have gven ever since.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
It could be that I?m missing something, but I fail to see the difference if the guy owns the place or if he?s just an "employee" when it comes to tipping him. It?s for good work done, nothing more, nothing less.

And I also fail to see how is the business of the Ramos family comparable to a barbershop of a few guys...

THe difference of whether one owns the joint or is an employee is that the employe gets only 50% or less of the amount paid for the haircut. Had a wife for years who worked in a beauty salon and expected tips, but she also spent more time at home cutting hair and she didn't expect any tips when doing work 'for herself.'
Der Fish

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
THe difference of whether one owns the joint or is an employee is that the employe gets only 50% or less of the amount paid for the haircut. Had a wife for years who worked in a beauty salon and expected tips, but she also spent more time at home cutting hair and she didn't expect any tips when doing work 'for herself.'
Der Fish

You seem to have a different wife or novia for every thread on this board!
That must get expensive after 5 or 10 Deryl.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You seem to have a different wife or novia for every thread on this board!
That must get expensive after 5 or 10 Deryl.

I have been actually married 5 times and those are the only ones I refer to as wives, I have also lived with a few dozen more and I refer to them as my mujer of the month. NO I don't expect anyone to keep up. Especially not a feeb such as you.
Der Fish

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
in my opinion 20pesos is basically nothing ...the guy who supposedly is minding my car when I park in the colonial zone gets a minimum of 50 pesos ...sometimes 100
but to each there own ...some are over generous and some are extra tight

True story: one time I gave "a parking attendant" in Cabarete 20 pesos for his "service" (not that I am super cheap: I think 50 is fair if you politely introduce yourself when I arrive and at least pretend like you are watching the car, but if you spring on me from nowhere as I am just about to leave, 20 is all you get - if you are lucky). So the guy then knocks on my window and returns me the 20 pesos note like I gave him a snake or something. I take it, laugh and drive away. Every time I saw this guy later on I laughed and gave him nothing ever again, telling that he works for free for me now since he doesn't like my money, so in the end he even stopped asking me. In retrospect I think he was trying some shame game on me that night as there were 3 girls with me in the car and he probably thought I would be embarassed and give him a hundred or something, - yeah right...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Der Fish

Never tell your clients you are the owner of the vehicle you are using to provide transportation
if you are willing to receive a gratification for the good services...

JJ

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I have been actually married 5 times and those are the only ones I refer to as wives, I have also lived with a few dozen more and I refer to them as my mujer of the month. NO I don't expect anyone to keep up. Especially not a feeb such as you.
Der Fish

Too funny.. At least your never lonely.. thanks for the good laugh to end my day!!

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Der Fish

The envy of many men to enjoy so much, :rambo:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The envy of many men to enjoy so much, :rambo:

My two brothers and I built a house for our mother in rural Tennessee 29 years ago now. It has grown into a triplex over the years as it has been added onto. I have an efficiency apartment waiting for me there when I can no longer drive and/or when no woman wishes to be with me, I am only 70 years old so far. 11 years ago I had triple bypass surgery and the doctors at that time said I had a 50-50 chance of living another 5 years statistically and I am still here and am active. I've known 3 guys my age who have bought the farm in the last 3 years plus one ex-wife.
Der Fish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My two brothers and I built a house for our mother in rural Tennessee 29 years ago now. It has grown into a triplex over the years as it has been added onto. I have an efficiency apartment waiting for me there when I can no longer drive and/or when no woman wishes to be with me, I am only 70 years old so far. 11 years ago I had triple bypass surgery and the doctors at that time said I had a 50-50 chance of living another 5 years statistically and I am still here and am active. I've known 3 guys my age who have bought the farm in the last 3 years plus one ex-wife.
Der Fish

Graduations are in order.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Der Fish

5? Really? 5?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Last year I received an Email from Capital one telling me they found suspicious that I paid a meal of $ 7.00 Dollars and my tip was $ 5.00.

I personally like to tip, I know how people that relay on tips feels when their service is well appreciated.

JJ

Remember JJ, this was was 1975 or so --- $5 was plenty.

Like you , sometimes that $5 was disproportionately heavy, or light - depending on the meal(which is my basic point)

I was either a king or a demon... depending on the day.

I may return to this strategy -- I'm liking it again..

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Do you guys tip at restaurants that automatically add the 10 % tip to the bill? If you do, do you tip another 5% or another 10%?
As far as barbers go, I tip them. I've do it in the states and here. I get a hair cut, a line, ears and nose hairs cut, facial scrub and hair washed for 350 pesos. I tip a100 pesos, maybe too much but as usual no one has change, but I'm happy when I leave.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nobody has spoken of the gas station guy.... no tip for him ??

RG84... yes, I tip 10% usually...
that other 10% rarely makes it down the food chain , so I'm told

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have tipped the gas guy ...50 or 100 depending what low note I have....and in restaurants ...the tip is on top of the obligatory 10%

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A barber in Iowa City was so engrossed in discussing his deer hunting with another customer that when I got home my mother gave me a stocking cap and told me to wear it for a month.
Fortunately, it was winter. Neither of those guys got a tip.

I lived in Iowa City. The barber was probably baked.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
THe difference of whether one owns the joint or is an employee is that the employe gets only 50% or less of the amount paid for the haircut.

Yes, this is of course clear, my point was that as long as it would be the owner himself doing the actual work, I personally don?t see the difference would would he not deserve a tip (in the case that I would actually want to tip him), just for the reason for owning the place...

Responsibility and income are also tight together, so the one pay gets less, also needs to think less outside of his actual task...

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Der Fish

So all fun and games. Just curious as to your relationships with your kids... Or has your whole life been about you ?