Tired Of The Music

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Don't forget that you are in the DR, land of bachata... If you want dance music, go back to the U.S....
Get used to it man, and get used to the rest as well !

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"Ta, Ta, Ta, Ta" at a 1000 decibels. What is there not to love.

Some might say, people who play excessively loud music or stay in a place that does are morons.

Dangerous Decibels

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ever go into a quiet bar, with the intention of having a beverage and some conversation with your company? what happens? as soon as your arse hits the chair, some birdbrain barmaid torpedoes you with 120 decibels of Antony Santos, as if you asked for it. then, to add insult to injury, she asks if you are enjoying it.

Why must you continue to "degenerate Dominicans". Are you better than the average DOM Barmaid who is just trying to make a living? I find it repulsive your continued demoralizing of the culture. If you don't like it here, leave. A poor girl working to support her children stricken in poverty is not a "Bird Brain" as you put it... You have this "condescending arrogance about you" that is very offensive to the poor Dominican just trying to feed her babies... Why not contribute something positive to the forum, instead you are constantly putting down the people who have accepted you into the Country even with all of your horrid shortcomings. Get a life and you will be happier.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why must you continue to "degenerate Dominicans". Are you better than the average DOM Barmaid who is just trying to make a living? I find it repulsive your continued demoralizing of the culture. If you don't like it here, leave. A poor girl working to support her children stricken in poverty is not a "Bird Brain" as you put it... You have this "condescending arrogance about you" that is very offensive to the poor Dominican just trying to feed her babies... Why not contribute something positive to the forum, instead you are constantly putting down the people who have accepted you into the Country even with all of your horrid shortcomings. Get a life and you will be happier.

I once wrote a post like this, some years ago, when I had enough of all the dominican bashing. Now I understand 'we' need this place to talk about DR in a way we wouldn't to Dominicans (except the dominicans that come here, but they know what they get into).

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If you think the music is bad:

Wait until you decide to take a public bus (guagua): bachata blaring, with an off-tune woman behind you singing along and a kid next to you listening to hip-hop on his telephone (all treble, no bass). I purchased a box of earplugs the last time I was in the US, because I prefer taking the guagua than driving here. And on occasion, when the music is too loud, I refuse to board and wait until the next guagua shows up. Of course, they promise to turn the music down, but it only lasts until they get my money.

From my personal experience: In order to live here, I had to change my attitude very quickly rather than go nuts (advice I learned here on DR). Even today, my friends laugh with me about how I complained about the traffic the first year I was here. As you see above, Dominicans get somewhat defensive when ex-pats criticize, even though Dominicans themselves criticize the same things. I still haven't learned to hold my tongue enough, but I like to think I am improving.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I once wrote a post like this, some years ago, when I had enough of all the dominican bashing. Now I understand 'we' need this place to talk about DR in a way we wouldn't to Dominicans (except the dominicans that come here, but they know what they get into).

Yes Mauricio, but unlike Gorgon, you are not posting "demoralizing and humiliating comments" dehumanizing Dominicans. Gorgon believes it is OK to rejoice and call a poor barmaid from the Country a "Bird Brain", when she was just trying to feed her children. Its deplorable behavior and needs to be confronted, when all a DOM has is her job and a foreigner degrades this. Gorgon should be deported in my opinion and sent back to mo mo bay hustling tourists on the beach for a few dollars, and sign up for some rip off insurance plan they don't need..:bored:

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I didn't realize today is "Hate Gorgon Day".

I'm always the last one to find out.

It reminds me of back when I was in junior high, and the girls would all gang up on a different girl every day. They were vicious.

Look, there are a few people on this board whose opinions I don't normally like. I put them on "Ignore" and I don't even have to read what they like. It keeps my blood pressure down and keeps me from being less uncivil. If you don't like what Gorgon (or CC or dv8 or me or anyone else) has to say, then put him on ignore. He isn't going to change his opinions, whereas attacking him really does not make a positive contribution to the board.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I didn't realize today is "Hate Gorgon Day".

I'm always the last one to find out.

It reminds me of back when I was in junior high, and the girls would all gang up on a different girl every day. They were vicious.

Look, there are a few people on this board whose opinions I don't normally like. I put them on "Ignore" and I don't even have to read what they like. It keeps my blood pressure down and keeps me from being less uncivil. If you don't like what Gorgon (or CC or dv8 or me or anyone else) has to say, then put him on ignore. He isn't going to change his opinions, whereas attacking him really does not make a positive contribution to the board.

its a pleasurable past time of mine lately... I don't hate Gorgon, I enjoy flaming the flame.. :cheeky:
And you notice how he hasn't responded yet? That is because he is "concocting" one of his "condescending type Gorgon posts".. You see its important to him that he "lets me have it" in his condescending type way.. He really is the most important man on DR1...

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
WoW!

I didn't expect such responses. Let me re-phrase b/c I think many have misinterpreted my original post. I enjoy the music, culture, and the peoples overall enjoyment of life. I love going into the bar and seeing the women and men dance their hearts out. It's why I moved here. Trust me, I'll take this over the US anyday. What I was saying is that the same songs are getting old. Many of you sound so defeated. Don't be like that. Remember where you are...THIS IS PARADISE. or as close to it as I have found.

I can start my own bar, and I can change societal thinking. What you guys/gals see as lack of progress, I see as easy money. They love american culture and are waiting for someone to guide them. Why do you think PURE does so well. Most dominicans spend half their months salary to go there one night. AND they play pop, hip-hop, etc. It's all good here. I've tested it out and gone out and plugged up my ipod. I get the people dancing in the street.

I was just wondering if there was another place in POP that already had a difference in music than PURE. But I'm guessing not. I'll let you know when I am up and running. Plan on having a rock night, hip-hop night, and more. Looking for the right place in the 16 de agosto area.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I agree with those folk who say "If ya don't like it , b****er off somewhere else!!"

But,
In many other countries there is usually a choice of 'quiet' bar, 'music' bar, 'oldies' bar, 'sports' bar, 'lounge bar' etc., even in the depths of Africa but can someone tell me where I can have a drink without my ears being insulted and my voice box ruined?

Giant, old-fashioned, ten-times repaired speakers that sound like a distorted smelting works at full hammer,amplifiers you can cook with turned to the very highest setting,tweeters that sound like strangled sparrows,woofers that sound like an elephant with laryngitis, singers that should not be bred from screaming intelligible repetitions at full throttle (I'd like to..), equalizers with every slider in the full position,

--- and no-one notices.

A symphony orchestra at full crescendo can be extremely loud, but the music is dynamic and waxes and wanes with the score, not always FFF like here.

Some of the music I actually enjoy but the presentation of it could be improved,
By a long way.

If any one thing drives me from this country eventually, it will be the noise, but hopefully, I'll be deaf by then.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
its a pleasurable past time of mine lately... I don't hate Gorgon, I enjoy flaming the flame.. :cheeky:
And you notice how he hasn't responded yet? That is because he is "concocting" one of his "condescending type Gorgon posts".. You see its important to him that he "lets me have it" in his condescending type way.. He really is the most important man on DR1...

I didn't know either.Can anyone join in??

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I agree with those folk who say "If ya don't like it , b****er off somewhere else!!"

But,
In many other countries there is usually a choice of 'quiet' bar, 'music' bar, 'oldies' bar, 'sports' bar, 'lounge bar' etc., even in the depths of Africa but can someone tell me where I can have a drink without my ears being insulted and my voice box ruined?

OP is located in PP. I'm sure any of those countries you refer to has towns where you don't have many choices in terms of music at bars. Go to SD and you will find all kinds of places.
You can't expect to find much variety in a small beach town, which PP is, with all due respect.

May 29, 2006
One of the reasons I got hooked on learning Spanish was listening to bachata songs in the 90's. I'm not so much of a fan of today's over produced music in the DR, but at least it's not reggaeton 24/7..

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
DR does not have music. it's deafening cacophony. CACAphony, even.
Meanwhile, the reality is that bachata is more popular than ever all over the world. Hopefully, people did their research and understood the type of music in the DR and the way it is played before they decided to move there because the music was there before you and it will be there after you.

May 29, 2006
I find the DJ business really interesting in the DR, esp those guys who have cars that have their trunks packed with HUGE speakers and then provide music for outdoor parties. It's almost like something out of Men In Black..