To give or NOT to give “LA CENA”

rey

Jan 2, 2007
So anyone that lives in Santo Domingo longer than a day knows that at some point during the week ( assuming that you drive ) you will get stop by LA POLICIA or DICRIM and they will usually start by saying either “esto es un checkeo rutinario” OR any other made up excuse on why they stop you … anyways this it’s just an excuse to either ask (blackmail) you for money or for you to offer them money so they won’t hold you any longer and you can keep on your way ;

This is my personal opinion on what to do IF this ever happen to y’all ; GIVE THEM MONEY ! i repeat GIVE THEM MONEY ! … the consequences of you trying to fight for you or rights and NOT allow yourself
To be push around or blackmail are catastrophic , You may think you standing up for yourself and NOT being a punk or a BI**H , or sucker BUT I repeat for the last time the consequences can be catastrophic…. Besides IF Dominicans give them money to avoid issues what makes you special specially you just a GRINGO !

For those of y’all who are reading Thais thread / post think or about to write a reply saying that I am exaggerating or being paranoid allow me to give you some examples on what can happen to you if you play hardball with the police and DO NOT give them LA CENA $$$ :

1- they can and will hold you on the road or highway for very very long time until you offer to “ comando agarre de eso $$$ pa la cena “

2- let’s say you never give in and offer them money then they will tell you you are suspicious and they need to bring you in to the precinct ( cuartel ) to be DEPURADO ( background check $ ) , and one you there then at some point you will give in and finally say to them “ comando agarre de eso pa la cena $$$ “ … keep in mind that la cena money need to be more $$$ since you are now Inside the precinct and at their mercy

3- IF you get stop and act like you don’t want to play ball ($ ) they will search your vehicle without a warrant ( I don’t think they need one ) and if they found drugs , a handgun , or money then YOU ARE F**K…. Now LA CENA became a jackpot

4- If you get stop by LA POLICIA and start telling that BS about you having rights and they can’t search your car without warrant then they might might plant drugs in your for NOT being a team player

5- if you get stop by police and DO NOT give in for LA CENA $$$ , they can robbed you

IN CONCLUSION: ALWAYS GIVE THEM MONEY or FACE CONSEQUENCES

***PS…. Am pretty sure any replies to this thread will be agreeing with my opinion , anyone that says differently it’s Either just a tourist or just naive

rey

Jan 2, 2007
What if the tourist/gringo no piki pani?
Jajaja , funny

But since you ask let me give you an answer

When they do stop the GRINGO and he doesn’t understand Spanish or it’s not Street smart enough to know this “traffic stop” it’s a shake down ; the police will automatically thinks that the gringo is “ SE ESTA HACIENDO EL LOCO” which means he is playing HARBALL ! … at that point then they will proceed to do any of the methods mentioned ABOVE ⬆️ … in conclusion the POLICE will NOT let you go on your way unless they are satisfied with your donation to LA CENA ……again I REPEAT give them money or the consequences will be catastrophic.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Jajaja , funny

But since you ask let me give you an answer

When they do stop the GRINGO and he doesn’t understand Spanish or it’s not Street smart enough to know this “traffic stop” it’s a shake down ; the police will automatically thinks that the gringo is “ SE ESTA HACIENDO EL LOCO” which means he is playing HARBALL ! … at that point then they will proceed to do any of the methods mentioned ABOVE ⬆️ … in conclusion the POLICE will NOT let you go on your way unless they are satisfied with your donation to LA CENA ……again I REPEAT give them money or the consequences will be catastrophic.
Not being funny (that's a lie). But seriously, millions visit every year whose Spanish is limited to "grassy ass" and they aren't on this board.

Reactions: rey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have driven many times in Santo Domingo, and have been stopped by AMET 3 times, all three times for actually doing something illegal IAW the traffic rules. Twice my wife talked them out of any ticket and once, about 8 years ago I paid 500 pesos to make everything go away. I have never been stopped by the police and been asked to pay CENA.... etc. I don't know anyone else that has either.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I have driven many times in Santo Domingo, and have been stopped by AMET 3 times, all three times for actually doing something illegal IAW the traffic rules. Twice my wife talked them out of any ticket and once, about 8 years ago I paid 500 pesos to make everything go away. I have never been stopped by the police and been asked to pay CENA.... etc. I don't know anyone else that has either.

😳 “You Bob Saunders are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite the Dominican Republic ways of life and sincerest efforts It has been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden to sedulously avoid it, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control.”

rey

Jan 2, 2007
😳 “You Bob Saunders are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite the Dominican Republic ways of life and sincerest efforts It has been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden to sedulously avoid it, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control.”
In short : You Bob Never Experienced being muscle by police at a traffic stop is just a Huge strike of much , but that’s all you ve being extremely lucky , AN EXCEPTION to the rule of you will

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In short : You Bob Never Experienced being muscle by police at a traffic stop is just a Huge strike of much , but that’s all you ve being extremely lucky , AN EXCEPTION to the rule of you will

He’s not that big an exception. We haven’t been stopped in years in Santo Domingo. Probably 10 years. Last time I was stopped, I was alone on my way to lunch with MountainAnnie. I looked at him and told him I didn’t understand (in English). He looked annoyed and waved me to leave.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I've been stopped many times and told them I'm deaf, I cant speak no habla no sabia. adios... I left and never bother again

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, nobody I am personally acquainted with has had this issue either. Maybe you are extremely unlucky or have some characteristic that makes you a target.

Reactions: rey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In my current stay here since 2018, I've been stopped twice. Once in San Pedro for I think 50 pesos and the other in Santiago for 200 pesos.

On my first trip here in 2006 on the way to Puerta Plata from okap, I got hammered at least twice. Because I didn't know any better, both instances were $20 USD.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Well, nobody I am personally acquainted with has had this issue either. Maybe you are extremely unlucky or have some characteristic that makes you a target.
Characteristic I don’t think so , I dress very conservative almost like a banker :

I do have a sign/sticker on my my CAR that says I LOVE 🇺🇸 USA 🇺

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've been to jail here in Santiago 4 times yet I've never been arrested, charged or convicted of a crime. Never pay and let the chips fall where they may.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have lived in Santo Domingo for many years, and I have NEVER encountered what the OP post says. I have been stopped but that was on the Duarte. However, that was a while ago. In Santo Domingo never give them money?? Rey are you in the DR? Do you have personal experience with this? Rey unless you have experienced this, then what you are posting has no merit.

Last edited:

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
In my first time here in the 90s police stoped me more often then then last years, sure every time they want some cash. In those times sometimes I had a bottle of Presidente in my hand, no problem, 20 Pesos and go on. Once my wife and I coming from a birthday party and I was really drunk, it was about 5 inthe morning and about 10 policeman stoped us.When my wife open the window the officer smells all the rum coming out the car and asked us if all ok. Sure my wife said and with 500 pesos for the guys we go on.
We've stoped a lot of time by police, but in most cases they want to check the papers and after that let us go. I know they don't earn enough money and I'm allways give them a small propina.

Reactions: Kipling333

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
I have been stopped once in the capital by the Policía Nacional, but never by the Dicrim(inal), but it seems the 'Digeste' traffic cops are everywhere

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I have lived in Santo Domingo for many years, and I have NEVER encountered what the OP post says. I have been stopped but that was on the Duarte. However, that was a while ago. In Santo Domingo never. Give them money?? Rey are you in the DR? Do you have personal experience with this? Rey unless you have experienced this, then what you are posting has no merit.
Of course I experienced it … every month I get pullover and it have to give them $500 or $1,000 pesos just so I can go on my legal way